Menu

Literary analysis workbooks for Middle School

We love, love, :001_wub: Figuratively Speaking but it isn't designed to be used with a whole novel. Rather, each chapter teaches a different literary term and it has short excerpts from literature to illustrate those terms.

I've read through this whole workbook and found it very helpful for ME. I haven't used it yet with my DD but hope to fit it in during middle school.

We've also used CLE and it's written to the student to use independently. It's very thorough. But Figuratively Speaking specifically targets literary devices in an interesting and engaging way.

We love, love, :001_wub: Figuratively Speaking but it isn't designed to be used with a whole novel. Rather, each chapter teaches a different literary term and it has short excerpts from literature to illustrate those terms.

I also loved Figuratively Speaking. We add the Walch Poetry and Prose Toolbox

http://www.amazon.com/Walch-Toolbook-Series-Prose-Poetry/dp/0825138027/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332384435&sr=8-2. I must say, we liked this one as much if not better than Figuratively. Together they were a great team.

I used some of Progeny Press guides this year. They were okay. There were a lot of questions about "who said what when and to whom" which started to irritate dd after a while.

How about TLP? I'm considering 2 of theirs for next year, but I've not been able to view any samples yet so I can't comment on content. I've been told they have more "critical thinking" than others.

I have used DITHOR in the past. It is an excellent program, but I wanted something different for JR. High and went with LL7 for my oldest.

Honestly, in 6th grade we enjoyed using Figurately and Walch independent of any supplemental reading. We read quite a bit of literature with our history anyway.

Just wondering if you thought this combo would be too easy for an eigth grader? It looks great, but I want to challenge him. I was looking into LL8 for next year. But, I'm open to all ideas. This looks pretty good!

http://www.amazon.com/Walch-Toolbook-Series-Prose-Poetry/dp/0825138027/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332384435&sr=8-2. I must say, we liked this one as much if not better than Figuratively. Together they were a great team.

I used some of Progeny Press guides this year. They were okay. There were a lot of questions about "who said what when and to whom" which started to irritate dd after a while.

How about TLP? I'm considering 2 of theirs for next year, but I've not been able to view any samples yet so I can't comment on content. I've been told they have more "critical thinking" than others.

I have used DITHOR in the past. It is an excellent program, but I wanted something different for JR. High and went with LL7 for my oldest.

Honestly, in 6th grade we enjoyed using Figurately and Walch independent of any supplemental reading. We read quite a bit of literature with our history anyway.

Just wondering if you thought this combo would be too easy for an eigth grader? It looks great, but I want to challenge him. I was looking into LL8 for next year. But, I'm open to all ideas. This looks pretty good!

I've use FS with adults. I don't believe that someone needs to be struggling to be learning as much as possible. Sometimes the easier stuff produces greater learning :-0 FS is a great resource that I have used even along side college literature anthologies.

I actually have the Walch book on my shelf for after we finish up FS. It looks great!

ETA: The Walch book is designed for high school use, but looks accessible to a bright younger student who has previously done FS.

I am looking for beginning type literary analysis for younger middle schoolers that goes beyond simple narration and comprehension questions which ds excels at.

I am hoping for something that is directed at the student for the most part and that can be done mostly independently.

I thought it did pretty well at developing other skills.

Laura

FS sounds great. How much time does it take? How often do you do it? I couldn't find a site that would let me look inside the book. Do you do it orally or are there written response questions?

There are 40 chapters and you can see the TOC at Rainbow Resource. There are short-response exercises in the workbook and most (all?) chapters have a writing assignment as well. It can be used totally independently but I think DD gets more out of it when I use the book as jumping off point for a Socratic discussion. I usually discuss the literary term that is the focus of the chapter with DD and then she does the exercises and writing assignment independently. I have it scheduled one chapter per week.

There are 40 chapters and you can see the TOC at Rainbow Resource. There are short-response exercises in the workbook and most (all?) chapters have a writing assignment as well. It can be used totally independently but I think DD gets more out of it when I use the book as jumping off point for a Socratic discussion. I usually discuss the literary term that is the focus of the chapter with DD and then she does the exercises and writing assignment independently. I have it scheduled one chapter per week.

Thanks! I am excited about using this next year! Now I have to figure out how to schedule something else into our LA time. This board gives me way too many good ideas :tongue_smilie:

I don't always do all of the lesson or always require the student to write anything. Sometimes I just use it as a conversation prompt, or to provide just enough information to supplement a lousy explanation in a textbook.

Tutoring requires always being super EFFICIENT. It is never about finishing ANYTHING. It's a constant game of catch up. It can be a bit exhilarating, but also tiring for student and teacher.

Just know you don't have to complete the workbook to use it. YOU set the mission statement, NOT the workbook. The workbook is a RESOURCE and a TOOL.

Do you suggest any particular grade for when they start using literary analysis? DS is entering 5th grade in the fall but reads easily?

I would recommend starting CLE reading on grade level. The workbooks are challenging because of the level of understanding they expect. Most dc are not used to it; they read for enjoyment not for analysis.

Did you look at the CLE S&S online? It gives details as to what's included in each level. Look at the online samples. BTW, CLE reading is only a half-year course. We did it intermittently with whole books/novels.

I would recommend starting CLE reading on grade level. The workbooks are challenging because of the level of understanding they expect. Most dc are not used to it; they read for enjoyment not for analysis.

Did you look at the CLE S&S online? It gives details as to what's included in each level. Look at the online samples. BTW, CLE reading is only a half-year course. We did it intermittently with whole books/novels.

Are the reading selections interesting, even for those who prefer more secular type materials? Religious reading selections are OK for us as long as they are not the "preachy" or "hell and brimstone" sort:) Are the selections interesting for boys? Are the workbooks pretty much teaching workbooks that allow for a lot of independence?

I'm using Figuratively Speaking over 2 years. I added in tons of literature based on the literary concepts taught in the workbook. So ds might complete the workbook on the literary topic and then we may spend a month or so reading literature that relates to that concept. For example we are covering these works in the first half of Figuratively Speaking. Sometimes I add in some literary guides that we go through together. I found them online. We did one for Animal Farm that had discussion questions and one for the Scarlet Ibis too.

Are the reading selections interesting, even for those who prefer more secular type materials? Religious reading selections are OK for us as long as they are not the "preachy" or "hell and brimstone" sort:) Are the selections interesting for boys? Are the workbooks pretty much teaching workbooks that allow for a lot of independence?

My boys liked them. We didn't find them preachy; I read almost every story in CLE reading 1-8. I DO consider them moral stories. That's why I liked them.

The workbooks are designed to be used independently but this would depend on your dc. If you want independence then I highly recommend using it on grade level.

If you're not sure if you'll like them, buy the reader used and pre-read the stories yourself before you buy the whole grade level. It's a very inexpensive program.

Click on the "cle reading" tag at the bottom of this thread and read what others have to say about it.

My boys liked them. We didn't find them preachy; I read almost every story in CLE reading 1-8. I DO consider them moral stories. That's why I liked them.

The workbooks are designed to be used independently but this would depend on your dc. If you want independence then I highly recommend using it on grade level.

If you're not sure if you'll like them, buy the reader used and pre-read the stories yourself before you buy the whole grade level. It's a very inexpensive program.

Click on the "cle reading" tag at the bottom of this thread and read what others have to say about it.

Those that use LL do you purchase for each book you plan on covering or buy the entire grade then read those chosen by them? How long to cover each book. DS has read all of Lord of the Rings and I was looking into having him do Hobbit but with a lit guide.

I thought it did pretty well at developing other skills.

Laura

Those that use LL do you purchase for each book you plan on covering or buy the entire grade then read those chosen by them? How long to cover each book. DS has read all of Lord of the Rings and I was looking into having him do Hobbit but with a lit guide.

It's designed to read the selections included rather than separate lit guides, they're all included in one package. It's a combo of longer books and short stories/poetry, the latter in the anthology "Stories and Poems for Extemely Intelligent Children." You use the anthology in both levels 7 and 8 (different selections). There's a pacing guide, but it varies widely depending on how quickly your child reads, especially in the novels. We went through LL7 in a semester rather than trying to take an entire year, primarily because she read the books much more quickly than listed in the pacing guide.

We have used CLE Reading for years. My boys LOVE the stories. I love the character teaching in this program or I wouldn't use it. The workbooks make you think. There is a lot in them!! Many people use them below grade level because of this, but I don't quite believe in that. However, you could do more and start a bit below as there are only 5 LU's instead of 10. We don't do them every day and finish early in the year so I can have my son do other good literature - just reading! HTH!:)

I like the format of CLE workbook units but I want it without the scriptures references. Anything more secular.

These are excellent and can be used for grade 6 & up. If you email them and tell them you are a homeschooler, they will give you the password for the answers.

http://www.pass.leon.k12.fl.us/Book%20Subject%20Areas/Language%20Arts.aspx

These are excellent and can be used for grade 6 & up. If you email them and tell them you are a homeschooler, they will give you the password for the answers.

http://www.pass.leon.k12.fl.us/Book%20Subject%20Areas/Language%20Arts.aspx

Michelle,

These seem like more grammar/ sent structure etc not actually lit guides or reading comprehension?