Menu

Need gifted educational consulting

I have been lurking for several months in my search for guidance on homeschooling my ds. My dh recieved an unexpected transfer to Canada. We move next month. I have agreed to enroll dc in ps.

My Ds7 has been professionally assessed (not tested) as highly gifted. He is completing MM3, MCT island, loves primary math challenges and SOTW. He moves quickly thru material. He reads at an 8grade level. For science he is reading the young adult science section at the library and understands. This week he decided to start memorizing the elements table. But he hates handwriting time. If we were homeschooling next year I would give him grade 4 work. But I am sure a ps will put him in 2 grade with his age peers.

I need to prepare for a transition to PS. I am scare that it will not go well. I think I need testing reports to determine what level he is at. I really need professional gifted consulting.

My question is who do I call to test him and get educational advice. :confused: I live in southern Illinois.

For the free option, you could write a letter to your local school district and request a meeting with the district person in charge of gifted education, or if they don't have one, the person in charge of student instruction/learning OR special education. Put this request in writing, because then there is a clock that starts ticking where the school district needs to get back to you.

I would try getting a written plan from the school district for what they would do in IL for your child. Then, when you move to Canada, you can have something official looking that the Canadian school district might try to honor.

Good luck!

I'd probably first contact the new school district in Canada to see whether they even offer gifted ed, and then, if what they are offering is worthwhile, I'd ask what testing is necessary to get access to that, whether they accept private testing, etc. I'd probably also look for a gifted tester closer to home (check on Hoagies) before travelling.

If you are near Carbondale, I would highly recommend that you contact Sam Larson at 618-453-3562 about the study he is doing. He is the lead grad student on a study of reading disabilities in 8-12 year olds and he is able to offer a limited number of FREE comprehensive assessments to 8-12 year olds in Southern Illinois. (They are at SIUC). I don't know if they could fit your son in before your move or not, but if they could, it would give you a comprehensive evaluation of IQ, language, reasoning, and math skills, and a full written report. My daughter did the testing a few weeks ago - it takes awhile to get the report, but for free (the lab would normally charge $3500 for this level of evaluation) I found I could be flexible on my timing. I know that they also provide a variety of evaluations for pay - it is possible they could help you in other ways if participating in the study doesn't work for you (the study may be full now, but I would call to check.) HTH!

Carbondale is about a 2 hour drive from my house. The resources at SICU sound like what I need. I am wondering if they are studing reading disabilities would they be interested in an advanced reader? My son is 7years old. He would not make the 8-12 age range. I am calling this morning to get more information. Thanks for this lead.

Edited by homefree3