Menu

Anyone else have a dh that cuts his own hair? what about your kids, do you cut theirs

My dh has been cutting his own hair for years. We bought really good clippers at Sally's Beauty Supply. He uses a guard and leans over a trash can. He also cuts the boys hair.

Anyway one else have a dh that cuts their own hair? What do you do for your kids? I have dd's hair cut where I go, but not as often (every 10 weeks is what my stylist likes)

Kristine

I cut my dd's hair but it is long and I just cut it straight across. We did take her to a salon when she donated her hair. Other than that, the last time we went to a salon we paid the same amount as mine which was $40 or $50 (silly me I assumed wrongly it would be a lot less). :eek:

I cut my boys hair, sometimes my dh's, and also my niece and nephew's. My nephew freaks out at the hairdressers so I just do it here. I watch him all the time anyways. I get mine cut though. I change my hairstyle with just about every cut and it is never just a straight cut so I need someone who knows what they are doing. I always make sure it is a style that grows out well, since I don't get there very often.

I cut dh's hair, the sides of my hair (it's layered a little on the sides), and dd's hair. Dh cuts the back of my hair and ds's hair. We have a set of clippers and a pair of good quality hair scissors. It's definitely much more convenient to be able to this at home - and has saved us a ton of money.

Dh cuts his own hair.....I sometimes take the kids to the cheap place, but I am trying to do it at home to save money. my son hates us doing it but he's growing it out long so I only need to trim on occassion. My daughter has long hair like me and rarely needs haircuts and I plan on cutting hers at home as long as it's long.

I cut the kids hair, dh gets his cut regularly, and I go in very sporadically (4 - 6 months?) to get mine cut. I'm cutting my bangs all the time, and sometimes the sides or back. I ended up with shorter layers on the sides the last two cuts, so have been cutting it myself while they grow out. :)

Well, dh is mostly bald, and uses a razor in the shower to take care of the rest. Before that, I cut it.

I used to cut my boys' hair, but recently, I've taken them to SuperCuts or similar. My older ds has thick, curly hair and it looks really bad if it is not cut right. My younger ds has a cowlick that needs professional assistance, lol.

For many years, I cut all their hair, so I never felt bad paying to get my own hair cut.

I've been cutting dh's hair for 17 of the 18 years we've been married. I cut our girls hair as well up until the last couple of years. Up until then, we just did the straight across thing for them. However, as they've moved into their teen/pre teen years and because they have hair just like mine (thick, wavy/curly, etc), I've found it's worth the $$ to have theirs cut professionally (light layers, etc) to minimize the bulk. I go about every 5-6 weeks for a trim. I alternate dds with each time I get mine cut. Works for us. :-)

I'm not any good at cutting girl hair so my dd11 gets treated to a salon cut every 4-5 months or so (as do I!). My dd2 hasn't had her hair cut yet (except a bang trim!) but it's getting to be time! We were spending over a hundred dollars ever 6 months or so for haircuts so the last time we were at the salon, I asked the stylist to teach me the basics of cutting boys hair, using a trimmer, layering, etc. Saves us tons.

I bought clippers, the video, the whole ball of wax. Then I educated myself on how to cut the boys' hair. I was so excited. Here I was, saving money and getting to indulge in my ever-present desire to cut hair! And this time I knew what I was doing, unlike the time I cut off my DD's pony tail because she was screeching so much as I brushed through her long and tangled hair. (I thought it would come out straight all the way around, but sadly, it was a butchered mess.) This was a no-brainer. Any idiot, even me, could follow the clipper usage directions.

When DH came home, he did not recognize one of our sons -- literally! He came home, saw this strange child in the play room and asked me, "Who's that?". Followed by a head count. "And where's Jimmy?"

I must have had a very strange look on my face because I was kind of leery of telling him who the strange kid was. "That's Jimmy", I chirped brightly.

"Quit messing with me," DH said.

The problem was that when I was clipping Jimmy's hair, I got it crooked. No problem. I straightened one side, and now the other was shorter. I straightened it again. Same result only the other side was longer instead of shorter. No problem, I'll do a buzz cut.

By the time I got done no-probleming, the boy looked like he belonged at his first day of boot camp. He was nearly bald. And unrecognizable.

DH was shocked, appalled, etc.

And he said from now on he would be in charge of the boys' hair. So he takes them to a barber.

Those clippers were the best investment I ever made.

RC

Like Jean, I'm the only one that pays for a haircut in this house. I've been cutting my dh's hair since we married 25 years ago this August. I also cut the boy's hair. I tried taking them to have their hair cut by a professional, but they hated it, so I quit.

Diann

Yes, I do everyone's haircuts except mine. Trims for the girls, and I bought one of those tools for the guys. At first, I just did ds's, but as I became more experienced, dh let me try with him once. He's not terribly fussy, but didn't want to look bad. As for me, I haven't had a cut in almost 3 years (going to donate) but I trim my bangs.

It was never my plan to do all these haircuts. My eldest would not sit still for stylists when she was little. Gradually, I grew into this as a money saving venture. After 2 haircuts I am so sick of cutting hair I need a long break, so I never do all 4 at once! My respect for those who love cutting hair has grown.