Menu

The "official" Beast Academy review thread

fraidycat

That's just it. I can't compare it with SM at all. It's so spatial (for the lack of a better word) in thinking. I don't see how having done SM 3 (first half) is in any way a repetition. I am actually glad my kid knows multiplication facts before tackling BA. I think CWP from SM will be a good complement precisely because challenges are so different, at least thus far.

I had to read skip counting lab several times to wrap my head over things. If they can do that with skip counting, I can't wait to see what they will do with fractions. The topics covered in the first half certainly don't need any supplementation. I think there is plenty of practice, but this is certainly not a program for a struggling student.

I can not think of a better word than "spatial." The BA author (and the folks at AoPS generally speaking) seem to have a different lens though which they see the world. It is a very spatial and geometric type way of looking at math and this makes it quite a different experience than Singapore math (that excels at presenting numbers as values that can be manipulated by splitting them into parts or combining them into wholes).

These programs are the products of very different sorts of "brains." It intrigues me to see how the very different approach will play out. My first though is I want "both." Now to find the time to pull-off both.

Bill

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking this a step further, thinking out loud, could BA potentially provide superior instruction for a student with great spatial strengths? How about a student with great spatial strengths but sequential weaknesses (who might have certain struggles with a traditional elementary math program)? I have a friend whose dc might be just such a person.... food for thought...

There is quite a lot of geometry in the first book (the only one I reviewed in some depth) and yes, I would say a child who "sees" patterns and sequences can thrive. They way they set up skip counting is completely for a visual learner. Having said that, there is still a need to memorize multiplication facts, so you can't avoid it.

What specifically is problematic for your friend's children in a traditional program? I don't have any experience with struggling kids, so it's hard for me to understand different ways kids think. Both my boys just roll eyes on SM. BA is much, much more challenging than SM, so in some ways I tend to think that if a child struggles with easy questions, than how is that child going to handle much more complex tasks? But then again I think it's always worth a try, especially with a child that thinks differently from others.

These programs are the products of very different sorts of "brains."

Bill

This brain "sees" math, not just thinks about it. I didn't really understand what it meant until I looked at BA. My husband (engineer) always wonders when I get stumped by a math problem why I can't "see" solutions. Now I know what he has been trying to tell me for years.

First time in my life I saw beauty in numbers and not just an intellectual challenge.

There is quite a lot of geometry in the first book (the only one I reviewed in some depth) and yes, I would say a child who "sees" patterns and sequences can thrive. They way they set up skip counting is completely for a visual learner. Having said that, there is still a need to memorize multiplication facts, so you can't avoid it.

What specifically is problematic for your friend's children in a traditional program? I don't have any experience with struggling kids, so it's hard for me to understand different ways kids think. Both my boys just roll eyes on SM. BA is much, much more challenging than SM, so in some ways I tend to think that if a child struggles with easy questions, than how is that child going to handle much more complex tasks? But then again I think it's always worth a try, especially with a child that thinks differently from others.

Thanks for your assessment - I'm still waiting for my books (though they went through my local sorting facility overnight, even with the cheap shipping :)). You are right that my question is all about a different way of thinking, a 2E hard-is-easy/easy-is-hard issue. I don't have all the details on the kiddo in question yet, but think gifted, dyslexic, having issues with speed on timed fact tests at a traditional school. The dc is only in second grade, and would not be able to try BA until she makes up some ground first, but I'd love for her to give this a whirl eventually.

One thing I can say for certain is that I wish I had been taught with AoPS Prealgebra - this is how I think - and I might have pursued a different path academically if I had been exposed to this perspective. I absolutely love it (I was "good" at math back in the day, and liked it, but none of my exposure approached anything close to AoPS).

I unpacked our order last night, and DS didn't get a chance to look at them before bed. This morning, he read through the 3A guidebook... yep, the whole thing. :) He did enjoy it, but I don't think we plan on giving up our other math programs. We'll probably continue to get the guidebooks as "fun" reading, though... I think it's good to let him see math from a different viewpoint!!

This brain "sees" math, not just thinks about it. I didn't really understand what it meant until I looked at BA. My husband (engineer) always wonders when I get stumped by a math problem why I can't "see" solutions. Now I know what he has been trying to tell me for years.

First time in my life I saw beauty in numbers and not just an intellectual challenge.

Did you ever see Darren Aronofsky's film "Pi"?

I has been some years, and there is probably a good deal of "adult content" that I'm forgetting about (because I forget about such things :D) but the idea behind the film was entering the mind of a young mathematician type would saw the world in patterns. It was a small film, but a quite artful minor-masterpiece IMO. You might enjoy it.

Bill

Did you ever see Darren Aronofsky's film "Pi"?

I has been some years, and there is probably a good deal of "adult content" that I'm forgetting about (because I forget about such things :D) but the idea behind the film was entering the mind of a young mathematician type would saw the world in patterns. It was a small film, but a quite artful minor-masterpiece IMO. You might enjoy it.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I am going to check it out. AoPS is opening a new world for me.

I unpacked our order last night, and DS didn't get a chance to look at them before bed. This morning, he read through the 3A guidebook... yep, the whole thing. :) He did enjoy it, but I don't think we plan on giving up our other math programs. We'll probably continue to get the guidebooks as "fun" reading, though... I think it's good to let him see math from a different viewpoint!!

Allow him the opportunity to do the Practice books ;) :D

Bill

I can not think of a better word than "spacial." The BA author (and the folks at AoPS generally speaking) seem to have a different lens though which they see the world. It is a very spacial and geometric type way of looking at math and this makes it quite a different experience than Singapore math (that excels at presenting numbers as values that can be manipulated by splitting them into parts or combining them into wholes).

These programs are the products of very different sorts of "brains." It intrigues me to see how the very different approach will play out. My first though is I want "both." Now to find the time to pull-off both.

Bill

I agree, BA is SO different than SM. Looking through the BA books, "conceptual geometry" comes to mind, if that means anything lol.

I think Dd is really lucky to be able to see math from both sides with a combo of BA and SM. I am jealous of her and wish we had this when I was a kid :tongue_smilie: I guess I'll have to settle for working through AoPS as an adult. I am determined to see the beauty in math this time around.

Thanks Bill. I am going to check it out. AoPS is opening a new world for me.

If it has any "independent film" adultness that I've conveniently forgotten about (because I like that sort of thing :D) and you are not so keen on this sort of thing, forgive me. But I loved this film! And felt Aronofsky was a genius! Which turned out to be correct.

Bill

I agree, BA is SO different than SM. Looking through the BA books, "conceptual geometry" comes to mind, if that means anything lol.

I think Dd is really lucky to be able to see math from both sides with a combo of BA and SM. I am jealous of her and wish we had this when I was a kid :tongue_smilie: I guess I'll have to settle for working through AoPS as an adult. I am determined to see the beauty in math this time around.

We were gyped!

I thought math was about the most boring subject in the world. What a waste!

At least we can do better (and what an understatement that is!!!!) for our children.

Bill

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Dd actually did very well understanding & applying the sample chapter, although she has serious issues with math facts/computation and is in 1st grade. She understood exactly what they were asking and what numbers to add together and why, even though I then had to walk her through the actual adding of those numbers once she told me what numbers to add/multiply. She is very VSL (and ADHD).

I may have ordered BA for her this morning....

If it has any "independent film" adultness that I've conveniently forgotten about (because I like that sort of thing :D) and you are not so keen on this sort of thing, forgive me. But I loved this film! And felt Aronofsky was a genius! Which turned out to be correct.

Bill

I saw it once. One digit. The climax is still burned in my brain (not the word I wanted to use, but I don't want to give away anything). Once was enough.

I liked it though.

I saw it once. One digit. The climax is still burned in my brain (not the word I wanted to use, but I don't want to give away anything). Once was enough.

I liked it though.

Believe it or not, I have completely forgotten the ending. My brain has a very low capacity (generally speaking) for retaining film plots long term. It is strange. There are, however, visual sequences from that film that are burned into my mind. But the climax is not among them. Weird.

Bill (who can watch it again and it will be new to me :D)

Bill

I am no prude and not easily offended :D

Dd actually did very well understanding & applying the sample chapter, although she has serious issues with math facts/computation and is in 1st grade. She understood exactly what they were asking and what numbers to add together and why, even though I then had to walk her through the actual adding of those numbers once she told me what numbers to add/multiply. She is very VSL (and ADHD).

This is just what I was driving at - as challenging as BA may be, I wonder whether it might turn out to be a much better choice, over other choices (perhaps even SM), for a very particular subset of students, in teach-through-strengths sort of way. We shall have to wait and see...

Excellent!

Bill (who has no idea if Pi is offensive, but Moira would know :D)

ETA: I saw it at the Dream Theatre in Monterey

I would not call it offensive.

It is higher level thinking for sure. I would say that some of it is comparable to math that many students don't even see until (or sometimes even in) middle school unless it is a great school or a class designed for gifted learners. I am making a copy of the practice book sheets so he can have a do over as needed. :001_smile:

We have decided to do BA at the same time as SM, possibly on alternating days. If the BA books come out fast enough, we may stop buying Singapore down the road (but we just started a new set.)

My son read the 3A guidebook and did the first few pages of practice last night. I gave him the day off from formal school today so he could go birdwatching with a friend and my dad. He said "I want to do SOTW and more Beast problems when I get home tonight." :lol:

I am jealous of her and wish we had this when I was a kid.
My inner child is also jealous of several of the resources that my kids have access to.

BTW we bought several of the 24 addition and subtraction game packets and I have to admit, I have been long stumped on 8, 8, 3, 3. :001_huh:

But don't tell me. One of these days on one of our many bus or train rides, you will be hearing "Eureka!" :D

I am thinking about seeing if I can arrange for a ps math enrichment program here called Explorations in Math to get some copies. This is great stuff. Maybe we would turn out a few more real math thinkers if books like this got to kids before they died of boredom in dull, ill-taught math classes.

BTW we bought several of the 24 addition and subtraction game packets and I have to admit, I have been long stumped on 8, 8, 3, 3. :001_huh:

But don't tell me. One of these days on one of our many bus or train rides, you will be hearing "Eureka!" :D

If you give up, there is a calculator...

http://scripts.cac.psu.edu/staff/r/j/rjg5/scripts/Math24.pl

I never would have guessed that one, FWIW. :tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking you probably have low standards :D

No offense :001_smile:

Bill

I'd like to think "reasonable." I am offended by movies like Ransom and True Lies. The one movie I wish I could beach from my brain is Meet the Feebles, which was interesting conceptually but gives me horrific flashbacks whenever I see a Muppet. :tongue_smilie:

I was going to wait until Ds finished his other work before starting BA, but he wanted to start today after his Saxon lesson. Since I am a push-over, I let him.:001_smile: He enjoyed the first bit. We used colored pencils on the first exercise. The mazes were fun. He did work one from finish to start, because he couldn't see his way forward. He enjoyed the puzzle aspect of it. He has requested another lesson after outside time. We'll see. They didn't come back until supper time yesterday. I did have him read it out loud to me. He did well on most of it but would have mispronounced obtuse if he had been reading to himself. I'll continue to have him read it aloud until he is a better reader. I'm still not sure how I would classify this. The workbook reminds me more of the math and logic puzzle books I do for fun than a math book.

My inner child is also jealous of several of the resources that my kids have access to.

LOL the 24 game, so simple yet so brutal!

Can you tell me what this refers to? Maybe a link? "24 math problems" doesn't Google well :lol:

A question for you reviewers.

Assuming we are going to get the book 3A one day soon. (shipping to a US address than waiting for a family member to visit Canada from the US)

What things would you recommend we have on hand to explore the concepts presented in 3A. I think I heard someone mention toothpicks. Anything else?

They have printables on their website.

http://www.beastacademy.com/resources/printables.php

You would just need to print some of those pages. For example, for the first chapter you need to print polyominos worksheet, cut them up so kids can make different shapes. So far I haven't seen anything in the text that would require a special manipulative.

Also, print out graph paper.

Believe it or not, I have completely forgotten the ending. My brain has a very low capacity (generally speaking) for retaining film plots long term. It is strange. There are, however, visual sequences from that film that are burned into my mind. But the climax is not among them. Weird.

Bill (who can watch it again and it will be new to me :D)

Quotes from Pi, the movie, that still stick with me...

"When I was a little kid, my mother told me not to stare into the sun, so when I was six I did. . . "

"Restate my assumptions: One: Mathematics is the language of nature. Two: Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers. Three: If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. . ."

... I can't remember the end either.

BA didn't speak to me at all (as my PreCalc teacher taught in a very AoPS-way & I HATED it), until the darn day it came out. I was order #21, but I showed only a small amount of restraint & didn't order priority. Mine won't be here until Tuesday.

I think my dd#3 will love it, but I'm hoping dd#2 will be sucked in.

Ok, maybe because I'm not a visual learner, and maybe because I'm not so into comics, but I am not feeling quite as much awe for BA as some of us here . . . will have to try it on dd and see what she thinks.

I am **drooling*** over AoPS Prealgebra, though. Because it is so wordy, maybe, and that's how my mind works? I started reading it, and it makes me want to cry, almost: how I *wish* someone had explained math to me like this!!!!!!! I am so *glad* I have this to teach with, when the time comes!

Ok, maybe because I'm not a visual learner, and maybe because I'm not so into comics, but I am not feeling quite as much awe for BA as some of us here . . . will have to try it on dd and see what she thinks.

I am **drooling*** over AoPS Prealgebra, though. Because it is so wordy, maybe, and that's how my mind works? I started reading it, and it makes me want to cry, almost: how I *wish* someone had explained math to me like this!!!!!!! I am so *glad* I have this to teach with, when the time comes!

I am a visual-spatial learner and I am NOT fond of comics. But, I am so fond of the way math is presented in the Prealgebra book that I took a leap of faith and bought BA anyway.

Rose, I think you and I are kindred spirits. ;) I think BA is fun... I do see how the practice books can dig a child really deep into mathematical concepts... but for our family, it's just not going to be the end-all, be-all of math curriculum. I was looking at AOPS Pre-Algebra last night though... and wow!! I may get that a year early before DS needs it, and go through it myself, LOL!!

I don't like comics either, BUT... I really do enjoy the BA stories, and my son LOVES it. His first comment on the sample chapter was, "Um... Where do I start?" :lol: I see they've addressed that issue. :D

Mine is still on its way. Supposed to be here Wednesday. It just left Bell Gardens, CA today. One day, it'll leave that state and start heading east! :tongue_smilie:

(yes, I was too cheap to pay $10.80 to upgrade to Priority when my order was free shipping via media mail)

Mine is still on its way. Supposed to be here Wednesday. It just left Bell Gardens, CA today. One day, it'll leave that state and start heading east! :tongue_smilie:

)

Our order just left there too! We have a scheduled delivery by next Friday! :toetap05:

I'm going to chime in on 2e question. You going to have problem areas such as GrOgg notes (all O are capitals and the font is to mimic a small child writing). Your whole part learners and need to "Why" kids will likely get concepts with this program.

Understanding place value and having no fear of adding or subtracting is key before starting this program.

3a and 3b do lend themselves to easily be modified for working with 2e. All concepts in these two sets could have easy to make manipultives (cheap too). For some kids you are going to need more work to get the concepts into long term memory.

The program is better than the sample pages posted. Opinions from a 2e mom.

Our order just left there too! We have a scheduled delivery by next Friday! :toetap05:

Friday?!? Yep, slow boat for sure. I'll survive until Wednesday, I guess... :D

Woohoo, mine is only 20 miles away! I should see it very soon and I paid for slow shipping! Sometimes it pays to be on the left coast. :D

You couldn't pay me to live on the left coast. I'll deal with a few days more shipping when picking media mail. :lol:

USPS website said my order was delivered today but no package is here. I had it shipped media mail and it only took 4 days. Now, I've had to open an investigation to find what happened to it. :svengo:
:eek:

I hope it's resolved soon.

I'm going to chime in on 2e question. You going to have problem areas such as GrOgg notes (all O are capitals and the font is to mimic a small child writing). Your whole part learners and need to "Why" kids will likely get concepts with this program.

Understanding place value and having no fear of adding or subtracting is key before starting this program.

3a and 3b do lend themselves to easily be modified for working with 2e. All concepts in these two sets could have easy to make manipultives (cheap too). For some kids you are going to need more work to get the concepts into long term memory.

The program is better than the sample pages posted. Opinions from a 2e mom.

Thanks for chiming in! I *tried* to communicate about the font issues when I reviewed the sample chapter, and I had thought the new version was much better. I'm sorry to hear there are issues in some spots. I'm guessing I'll also wish the font was bigger. The font in the Prealgebra is nice and clear.

I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow :)