Menu

How many pages per day in Math Mammoth?

garddwr

2-ish. 2 when the pages are dense, 3 or 4 when the pages have a lot of teaching on them. But I don't necessarily make her do every problem. If she can do half of each problem/section effortlessly and perfectly, we move on. This avoids the drill and kill feeling, why keep doing problems if you have already mastered the concept? and provides motivation to be careful and not make dumb calculation errors. ;)

Usually 1.5 - 2 pages, but sometimes more depending on how much teaching there is per page.

But we are in 3A as well, and now that we are learning the multiplication tables, we're not completing too many pages at all. I've been having ds8 do 1 page the first day we learn a new table and finish the 2nd page for that table the next day, but then the rest of the week, we've been kind of camping out and memorizing that particular table. He wants to move ahead, but I've insisted that we camp out until he knows these facts cold. DH agrees and insists that ds8 needs to be able to spit them out quickly.

I think it depends on your child. My DD usually does only one page per day. If I ask her to do more I risk having the book thrown across the room. I figured that having one page peacefully done is more important than finishing the book on a schedule. My DD also typically needs much more practice than the problems on the page. I know that many people successfully use MM doing only half the problems on the page. My DD needs to do all the problems on a page and them some.

We try to do a lesson a day. He goes through some of each type for classwork and finishes up the rest during a "homework" period later in the afternoon. There is something about that delayed, repeated practice later in the day that helps solidify it. If there is just way too much, I highlight the ones he is to finish for homework.

I try to have my kids do the entire lesson (which is generally 2 - 3 pages), but I only have them complete about half of the problems if the lesson is long. If they miss quite a few, then we save it for a second day and go back to do the other half of the problems.

:iagree: Sometimes we don't need to do all the steps to understand the lesson. Those are cut out! If the subject is really hard we spend another day on it.

We have one child in MM, in 2B, and she does 1.5 to 2 pages a day, depending on what we're working on. Like today, there were 40-50 lines for her to fill in on one page, so we only did 3/4 of the page, then last week during a geometry chapter, she did 3 or more pages. The average and what we do mostly is 1.5 to 2, though.

For my 7yo 1st grader in MM 1, she does 1-2 pages, depending on the density. If it's all word problems, 1 page.

For my 9yo 3rd grader in MM 3, he typically does 2 a day. If it's not dense or has lots of teaching, he gets excited about having a "light" day. :) If there are a lot of problems, I will tell him do half in this section and let me check it. If he gets them ALL right, he doesn't have to do the rest of that part.

There's a FAQ page on the MM website; if you scroll down to question #14, there's a chart for each grade level showing the average # of pages per day to complete a level in one school year.

Jackie

Thanks for posting the link Jackie. That is very helpful. And thank you to all who responded! It's good to get an idea of what is working for other families.

My dd has been using MM for a few years. We are on 5A now. We are attempting to "catch up" lost ground from LD's and math hatred. We do at least 2 pages per day, 4 days per week. If the lesson is 3 pages, she does three. If it is four pages, she does two - except where much of the page is filled with explanations.

Where the topics are more challenging for her, we slow it down. I have even added extra review pages where necessary to "remind" her of what she has already learned.

Doing this we are slowly catching up so that she will be ready (I hope) for Algebra in 8th grade. I do tend to go into summer until we complete a book (e.g. 5A).

Sandra