Menu

For this rest of this year and next I want to focus on one literary element for each book I read aloud. I think it will make for some interesting discussions. The kids will be 4th-7th grades. I'm brainstorming which chapter books would be a good match for each literary element. I'd love if anyone has ideas to contribute to my list of choices. :) I may cycle back through the elements again if it goes well the first time around. I keep coming up with ideas of books I've already read aloud to them or isn't appropriate for their ages, lol.

Setting- Island of the Blue Dolphin(already read), The Wizard of Oz

Figurative Language-Phantom Tollbooth(already read), James and the Giant Peach, Maniac McGee, Where the Red Fern Grows, Tuck Everlasting, Poppy

Characterization- Lord of the Flies

Theme- The Wrinkle in Time(already read)

Flashback- Holes(already read)

Foreshadowing-

Plot-

Point of View-

For Point of View, try Candymakers, by Wendy Mass. It starts out as a story told by one of the main characters. Then you read a retelling of the same events from another character's point of view. It is really neat because that character mentions things the first one wouldn't have found note-worthy, like his appearance. Each new character's point of view helps fill in the story. I'm not doing it justice, but it is a very clever story.

It is an easy story, but we just finished Because of Winn Dixie, and talked a lot about characterization. The story has great examples of round vs. flat characters and static vs. dynamic characters. It is an interesting story for that purpose, because some of the most mentioned characters are actually pretty flat or static, and one character only exists in the form of a story being told, and he is well rounded.

Edited by Julianna

Setting- Island of the Blue Dolphin(already read), The Wizard of Oz

Figurative Language-Phantom Tollbooth(already read), James and the Giant Peach, Maniac McGee, Where the Red Fern Grows, Tuck Everlasting, Poppy

Characterization- Lord of the Flies

Theme- The Wrinkle in Time(already read)

Flashback- Holes(already read)

Foreshadowing-Definitely "Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth." This book has some of the best foreshadowing in any children's book; plus it is an excellent jumping off point for studying Macbeth.

Plot-Either "The Diamond in the Window" or "Number the Stars".

Point of View-

"Tom Sawyer" is great for POV because it is so clear that the narrater has an iconoclastic POV, and as he convey's Tom's feelings as well as his Aunt's, he also conveys his own; through gentle ironic commentary. However, it is a book that will awaken your child's inner smart a**, so if you have concerns in that area it might not be your best choice.

Not trying to offend or tell you what to do, BUT... Lord of the Flies is a seriously adult (and disturbing!) book. I would NOT go over that until LATE high school. In addition, there are a lot of difficult, complex and subtle themes, worldview, and character development in Lord of the Flies, which you don't want to miss by trying to analyze it before you have even really gotten a handle on learning the TOOLS (literary elements) of analyzing literature. JMO!

Grade 4 is on the young edge for learning literary elements, but it is do-able. I'd gently suggest going with picture books as a start -- a lot of middle school/high school classes start literary analysis this way because it is gentle, easy, and a quick way to see the elements (compared to reading a multi-chapter book that takes days of reading to complete before you have all the pieces for beginning to discuss/analyze). From picture books, you can then begin to work your way up to longer books. Picture books will be fun, too, because your students will most likely already be familiar with the books from past readings.

I love this quote from a past thread on using picture books with high schoolers from Nan in Mass: "We revisited [picture books] when I was trying to teach my children to write a literary analysis essay. It is hard to get lots of essay practice when one has to pause for a few weeks between each try in order to read the book one is analyizng... I also realized that I had done a great deal better a job with the picture half than with the word half of the books. "She used sad colours for this because the story is sad here." "Look how that character is peeking in from off the page." "Why do you think she made the tree blowing all which way in the picture?" "What is the character doing that tells you he doesn't want to go home?" (Dragging his feet.) "Did the artist draw the pictures for this book in lots of detail? Why not?" (Very young main character.) Etc."

You may find this series to be especially helpful: Using Picture Story Books to Teach Literary Devices, by Susan Hall. (One of the later volumes of the series lets you see the index, which lists the picture books and which literary elements each book exemplifies.) Below I listed numerous resources for you. Enjoy your literary journey together! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Your 7th grader would be at a perfect age for using Figuratively Speaking: Using Classic Literature to Teach 40 Literary Terms. We would go over a lesson a week or so, and then actively look for the elements in whatever else we were reading.

You might find some of these resources helpful -- don't be afraid to start with resources below grade level of your students, and work your way up:

Specific Literary Element Resources:

- Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus (Bagley) -- series by grade level

- Story Elements series (by grade level, gr. 1-8)

- Teaching Story Elements with Favorite Books (Ellen Tarlow)

- Teaching Literary Elements with Short Stories (Ellen Tarlow)

Example of how to lead book discussion/literary analysis in a group setting: Deconstructing Penguins (Goldstone) -- GREAT beginning parent/student guided literary analysis example.

Programs for Teaching/Incorporating Literary Discussions:

Drawn Into The Heart of Reading

Christian Light Education (CLE) Reading (by grade level, gr. 4 and up teach literary analysis)

Classics in the Classroom

Teaching the Classics

Past threads on literary analysis for elementary students:

Figures of speech -- when to introduce these?

DD (10yo) wants to do literary analysis

Books to teach ME about literary analysis

Is is absolutely necessary to teach literary analysis?

Here are some picture book ideas for the different literary elements you are interested in covering:

Setting

- Where the Wild Things Are (Sendak)

- The Polar Express (Van Allsburg)

- Uptown (Collier)

- So Far From the Sea (Bunting)

Figurative Language

- Owl Moon (Yolen)

- Switch on the Night (Bradbury)

- Quick as a Cricket (Wood)

Characterization

- The Story of Ferdinand (Lead)

- Horton Hatches the Egg (Seuss)

- The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig (Trivizas)

Theme

- The Giving Tree (Silverstein)

- Frederick (Lionni)

- Harold and the Purple Crayon (Johnson)

Flashback

- Alexander; Who Used to be Rich Last Sunday (Viorst)

- One Small Blue Bead (Baylor)

- Wreck of the Zephyr (Van Allsburg)

Foreshadowing

- Jumanji (Van Allsburg)

- Short Cut (Macauley)

- The Mitten (Brett)

Plot

- Ferdinand the Bull (Leaf)

- The Snowman (Briggs)

- The Frog Prince Continued (Johnson/Scieszka)

Point of View

- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (Scieszka/Smith)

- Two Bad Ants (Van Allsburg)

- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day (Viorst)

Edited by Lori D.

Lori D.- Thanks for the heads up on Lord of the Flies. Honestly it wasn't one I was seriously considering at this point anyway. My kids prefer funny, witty, upbeat, and heartwarming books. I was just batting around ideas. :)

I will definitely look into all the resources you posted, thanks so much for your time. I have introduced all the above elements already via picture books and was really wanting to start talking about elements of our read alouds to add depth to our book discussions. I have a list of books I'd like to read aloud already in the next couple years. The problem is I haven't read any of them. I guess I could just wing it, but I like to think ahead and plan.

I just reserved Deconstructing penguins from my library. :) Again thanks.

Edited by ThreeBlessings

For Point of View, try Candymakers, by Wendy Mass. It starts out as a story told by one of the main characters. Then you read a retelling of the same events from another character's point of view. It is really neat because that character mentions things the first one wouldn't have found note-worthy, like his appearance. Each new character's point of view helps fill in the story. I'm not doing it justice, but it is a very clever story.

It is an easy story, but we just finished Because of Winn Dixie, and talked a lot about characterization. The story has great examples of round vs. flat characters and static vs. dynamic characters. It is an interesting story for that purpose, because some of the most mentioned characters are actually pretty flat or static, and one character only exists in the form of a story being told, and he is well rounded.

Thanks for the suggestions :). Candymakers sounds very interesting, I'll check my library. We just finished reading Because of Winn-Dixie, very good book.

I have introduced all the above elements already via picture books

Ah-ha... a critical plot point I missed!

I was really wanting to start talking about elements of our read alouds to add depth to our book discussions.

While I do think you can do this, I just want to add the caveat that good literature is good because it contains so many literary elements, so at this point you may just want to read and as you see different elements, discuss. In addition, literature guides to individual books can be very helpful in guiding you into deeper conversation. I especially like the Garlic Press Publishers' Discovering Literature series.

Based on my new understanding of what you are looking for, here are some ideas; the first group also fits your criteria of funny, witty, upbeat, and heartwarming books:

- Alice in Wonderland (Carroll) -- figurative language (nonce words, simile, rhyme), point of view

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Sid Fleischman) -- figurative language, flashback, setting

- Trumpet of the Swan (White) -- figurative language, characterization, plot, theme, flashback

- The Rescuers (Sharp) -- or others in the series: Miss Bianca, The Turret, Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines, Miss Bianca in the Orient -- point of view, characterization, plot

- Half Magic (Eager) -- or others in the series: Magic By the Lake, Knight's Castle, Time Garden -- point of view, characterization, plot, flashback

- The Pushcart War (Merrill) -- point of view

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH -- plot, foreshadowing, characterization, setting

- Bull Run (Paul Fleishman) -- point of view (Civil War Battle of Bull Run from 16 different characters' perspectives)

- Sounder (Armstrong) -- figurative language (warning: sad; dog and father die)

- My Side of the Mountain (George) -- setting

- Bridge to Terebithia (Paterson) -- characterization, foreshadowing, setting, theme (warning: a main character dies; 4th grader may not be ready for this)

- The Hobbit (Tolkien) -- plot, characterization (main character is dynamic/changes), figurative language (alliteration, rhyme, simile)

- all 7 books, Chronicles of Narnia (lewis) -- theme, plot, characterization

- Master Puppeteer (Paterson) -- setting, characterization, plot, theme, foreshadowing

- Rikki Tikki Tavi (Kipling) -- figurative language, setting, characterization, plot, foreshadowing, point of view

- The Hundred Dresses (Estes) -- point of view, characterization

- Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken) -- plot, setting, foreshadowing

- The Twenty One Balloons (DuBois) -- plot, setting

Edited by Lori D.

Ah-ha... a critical plot point I missed!

While I do think you can do this, I just want to add the caveat that good literature is good because it contains so many literary elements, so at this point you may just want to read and as you see different elements, discuss. In addition, literature guides to individual books can be very helpful in guiding you into deeper conversation. I especially like the Garlic Press Publishers' Discovering Literature series.

Based on my new understanding of what you are looking for, here are some ideas; the first group also fits your criteria of funny, witty, upbeat, and heartwarming books:

- Alice in Wonderland (Carroll) -- figurative language (nonce words, simile, rhyme), point of view

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Sid Fleischman) -- figurative language, flashback, setting

- Trumpet of the Swan (White) -- figurative language, characterization, plot, theme, flashback

- The Rescuers (Sharp) -- or others in the series: Miss Bianca, The Turret, Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines, Miss Bianca in the Orient -- point of view, characterization, plot

- Half Magic (Eager) -- or others in the series: Magic By the Lake, Knight's Castle, Time Garden -- point of view, characterization, plot, flashback

- The Pushcart War (Merrill) -- point of view

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH -- plot, foreshadowing, characterization, setting

- Bull Run (Paul Fleishman) -- point of view (Civil War Battle of Bull Run from 16 different characters' perspectives)

- Sounder (Armstrong) -- figurative language (warning: sad; dog and father die)

- My Side of the Mountain (George) -- setting

- Bridge to Terebithia (Paterson) -- characterization, foreshadowing, setting, theme (warning: a main character dies; 4th grader may not be ready for this)

- The Hobbit (Tolkien) -- plot, characterization (main character is dynamic/changes), figurative language (alliteration, rhyme, simile)

- all 7 books, Chronicles of Narnia (lewis) -- theme, plot, characterization

- Master Puppeteer (Paterson) -- setting, characterization, plot, theme, foreshadowing

- Rikki Tikki Tavi (Kipling) -- figurative language, setting, characterization, plot, foreshadowing, point of view

- The Hundred Dresses (Estes) -- point of view, characterization

- Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken) -- plot, setting, foreshadowing

- The Twenty One Balloons (DuBois) -- plot, setting

Wow! Thanks, this is a great help! My wheels were needing greased, lol. I was sitting and thinking and the wheels just weren't turning.

There are several books here I already have on our books to be read list, which is wonderful; The Twenty One Balloons, Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Bridge to Terebithia, My Side of the Mountain, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and Trumpet of the Swan all were on my list. I have Sounder, but I don't think ds would take it well yet. I might go ahead and take Bridge to Terebithia off the list too, I'm not sure. I'd like to read it, but ds is pretty sensitive. Dd has already read Alice in Wonderland and The Hundred Dresses or I would definitely read those aloud too. I think I'll add The Rescuers to the list. I own it and it sounds like a good story.

Again, thanks so much for your time, very helpful. :) Now I can be prepared, knowing which elements might make for good, easy discussion material in the books and I'm sure Deconstructing Penguins will prove very useful as well.

Edited by ThreeBlessings

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to find examples of literary analysis essays written by middle schoolers? All I ever find are much more advanced high school and college essays. It would help my ds immensely if we could read 20 different essays written by kids aged 12 to 16. It would not even matter if he had not read the book, he just needs to see the flow and the way the examples are presented in context etc.

Suggestions?

Ruth in NZ