Menu

Grinding teeth solution???

We have a little guy with DS who just turned 5 on Monday! :) He was also having problems with teeth grinding, during both the day and night. One of the causes of grinding can be a calcium/magnesium deficiency. We began supplementing him with Rhino Calcium Chewables (each chewable has 250 mg calcium and 125 mg magnesium) with good results. His night time grinding has pretty much ceased. He will still occasionally grind during the day but that usually occurs when he is over tired.

A lack of pantothentic acid can also cause grinding but if you are supplementing with a multivitamin this should be covered. I read online that parasites such as pinworms can also bring on grinding. A stool test can reveal this and the site I was reading recommended an herbal parasite cleanse for treatment.

The same site also mentioned using Valerian or Lavender as a stress reliever since stress and anger are also a associated with grinding. You mix 3-4 drops Valerian or Lavender with a tsp. of olive or almond oil and rub on the jaw and neck. Both can also be taken internally in tea or other forms. I have used several of the Herbs for Kids brand herbs and have found them very helpful. I haven't used their Valerian but I see they do carry it. Might be worth a try.

Many children do grind in their younger years but outgrow it before it becomes a real problem. Perhaps one of these remedies might work for your daughter. If you are seeing actual damage to the teeth it would probably be wise to see a professional and consider the mouth guard.

HTH!

Sandy

My 4 yo son grinds too. Our pediatric dentist said we would have to wait until he is a little older for a guard since it can be a chocking hazzard. There has already been damage but they are his baby teeth so I don't think it will matter later. He does have sensative teeth, so he doesn't like cold stuff we always have to warm his drinks too.

Ladies -

Thank you for your information. I also have a friend whose son has DS and just went to the dentist for grinding his baby teeth also. I will pass this along to her.

Is there a specific place to get these supplements online? What site did you get your information off of? Would a local health food store carry these items by chance?

Again, thank you.

T

Ive never heard of the calcium trick...I am going to try that...but our ds12 has been grinding forever!! The dentist still says there is nothing he can do and the mouth piece will not work. He has tiny little teeth now after all these years...and still has baby teeth that are way overdue from falling out. He said they prevent them from falling out and the new teeth coming in.

But his new teeth now...are not griding. I guess it is finally coming to an end. His new teeth are perfect.