Menu

Will she EVER remember when to use capitals and when not to?!?

Despite all of my dd's accomplishments, I find that we can both become frustrated by her inability to remember when and when not to capitalize letters. There is little consistency - or so it seems. She'll leave them off the beginning of a sentence and add them in randomly midway through a sentence. Always, there is my attempt at a gentle reminder, "Let's see, you're missing some capitals in those sentences." OR "Hmmm, would student need a capital s there or not?" OR "Remember that places and names are capitalized."

Aargh!

Advise from better moms/teachers out there? :confused:

Despite all of my dd's accomplishments, I find that we can both become frustrated by her inability to remember when and when not to capitalize letters. There is little consistency - or so it seems. She'll leave them off the beginning of a sentence and add them in randomly midway through a sentence. Always, there is my attempt at a gentle reminder, "Let's see, you're missing some capitals in those sentences." OR "Hmmm, would student need a capital s there or not?" OR "Remember that places and names are capitalized."

Aargh!

Advise from better moms/teachers out there? :confused:

I swear we have the same child.

I found a small (SMALL) measure of success in 8th grade while using R&S's punctuation workbook.

Also, short copywork and dictation exercises are still your very best friend, long after typical children outgrow the need for them. (Or your new best friend if you haven't used it before.)

I deal with this via dictation that includes both spelling and language mechanics; however, you could just do it for language mechanics. The basic deal is that to "pass" out of a goal, you get it right 5 days in a row, then test it once a week and get it right for 3 weeks in a row, then test once a month and get it right for 3 months in a row. You could use critiera such as Capitalizes the first letter of the sentence, uses a period at the end of a statement, uses a question mark at the end of a question, capitalizes proper names, does not capitalize any common nouns, etc.

A method I use with tutoring students is to dictate a sentence and say "Tip tap." They are supposed to lightly touch the end of the sentence with the pencil, and then the beginning of the sentence. They tap the end to check the end punctuation and the beginning to check the capital. This is a step back from reminding them exactly what to check for, but you are reminding them to check. It sounds nice and friendly, too, so there is less grouchiness.

Another method to use is COPS: capitalization, organization, punctuation, spelling. The child checks for each separately. You can give the child specific things to check for, until she gets them right.

I don't think there is anything wrong with gentle questions that prompt self-checking.

FWIW, a lot of dyslexic kids have trouble with capitalization of the first word in a sentence well past when other kids do. The random capital letter thing is also not uncommon.

We have a list of mechanics that my son checks for. He checks off the list after writing. Then he does what we call an Honor Check. Did he do what was on the list? Did he do just one more thing to make the paper even better?

He still makes mistakes, but slowly he is catching them. It can be frustrating when they are "ahead" in one thing and seem "behind" in such a simple thing like mechanics. But the truth is that elementary mechanics books are very much like high school and even college mechanics books. Eventually she will get it.

One other thing that has helped my ds are Daily Editing Practice Books. Though we don't do them daily. :glare:

My son can't figure out punctuation for the life of him. He can see a sentence that says, "Do you like baseball," and still put a period at the end. And he is 12. I have tried everything, but nothing works. We just keeping practicing and maybe someday he will get it, maybe not.

Dorothy

My son can't figure out punctuation for the life of him. He can see a sentence that says, "Do you like baseball," and still put a period at the end. And he is 12. I have tried everything, but nothing works. We just keeping practicing and maybe someday he will get it, maybe not.

Dorothy

My guy is also 12, and while he is just starting to get slightly better with capitalization and punctuation, he's still fairly random. I just point out the errors and remind him to correct them. Sometimes I wonder if he will ever get these concepts!

Since we are still working on such basic grammar concepts, I haven't gone into more advanced grammar. I figure there's no point in teaching dangling participles and such to a boy who can't even remember to capitalize the word "I".

Michelle T

My guy is also 12, and while he is just starting to get slightly better with capitalization and punctuation, he's still fairly random. I just point out the errors and remind him to correct them. Sometimes I wonder if he will ever get these concepts!

Since we are still working on such basic grammar concepts, I haven't gone into more advanced grammar. I figure there's no point in teaching dangling participles and such to a boy who can't even remember to capitalize the word "I".

Michelle T

You know, my dd mastered the intricacies of R&S 8 without being completely consistent with punctuation and commas. Knowing more advanced grammar helped greatly with commas, to be able to say, ok, introductory adverbs need what?

It would personally recommend not slowing down the advanced grammar. Punctuation seems to be a separate thing.

I am so glad I popped over to this board and read this thread. My ds12, dyslexic, is the same. Capitalizes in the middle of sentences, particularly the letter P, and often forgets at the beginning, and for proper nouns.

The thing is, he doesn't do it when he does dictation, because he is concentrating on things like that. He does it when he is writing a sentence for grammar or some other subject where he is not focusing on the punctuation so much. He just cant do it all!

I don't know what to do but be patient and keep reminding him.

He just cant do it all!

It is hard for these kids to "do it all". Thanks for reminding me. They may be working so hard on spelling that punctuation become secondary (in terms of what's going first in their minds), or concentrating on sentence formation and forgetting proper use of capitals. Patience is key, and some days I'm able to have more of it than others. Today -- so far, so good. ;)

inability to remember when and when not to capitalize letters. There is little consistency - or so it seems. Aargh!

Thank you all for this thread! I missed when you began it, Doran, but, boy, have I despaired (DESPAIRED, I say!) that ds will EVER remember where to put capitals!

8th grade

EIGHTH GRADE? Sigh. I don't think I can make it for two more years :banghead:

It sounds nice and friendly, too, so there is less grouchiness.

You know, I don't think that ds can make it with me nagging him for two more years! (Note to self: remember verse in Bible: "Pleasant words promote instruction....")

My ds doesn't even capitalize his own name.:eek:
I thought I wwas the only one that had a child that didn't capitalize!!! :lol:
he's still fairly random. Sometimes I wonder if he will ever get these concepts!

I feel your pain, ladies! Thank you for sharing.

I am so glad I popped over to this board and read this thread. My ds12, dyslexic, is the same. Capitalizes in the middle of sentences, particularly the letter P, and often forgets at the beginning, and for proper nouns.

My ds isn't dyslexic, but thank you for the reminder to be patient, and for helping me to see this as maybe just a developmental 'thing'!