Menu

What's the worst thing that could happen if I dropped Right Start?

CourtneySue

We are currently using RightStart B. I started supplementing Right Start with the SM workbook and the Miquon Red book this year because I felt like my DS needed extra practice that he was needing.

I believe RightStart is a good program, the problem is that I really don't enjoy teaching it. My question is what would I be missing if I dropped it and just used SM and Miquon, both of which my children and I enjoy (and find challenging in their own ways)?

One thing I do like about RightStart is the mental math games that they play at the beginning of each lesson. Do the SM HIGs have something like this?

Thanks for any input!

I am of the mind that you can drop whatever you want if it's not working for you. If it frustrates you, it's going to bleed over into your son's reaction. In truth, I'm sort of baffled at why people use so many programs at once - it seems exceptionally confusing and like far more math than I want to be doing every day. If you have two other programs you love, why not just hang onto the Right Start games and drop the rest? You should know pretty quick whether or not it's working by how your son is doing.

I can't tell you what you'll be missing, but I will tell you that I desperately wanted to love RightStart. I bought both A and B and read over the manuals several times. We attempted lessons, but it drove me nuts. So, finally we dropped it in favor of Miquon. Eventually, after a lot of rod play, we added in some SM and finally made the full transition to MEP (which I LOVE).

I feel like my oldest has a great understanding of numbers. She's not scary good at math, but she enjoys it and MEP Y1 has been awesome for giving her a challenge, but staying with the smaller numbers.

I know I hear that kids who complete RS B can add four-digit numbers in their head. My girl can't do that...but I'm feeling pretty good that, at the end of her K year, she can add two-digit numbers mentally, she understands numbers up to 100 (we haven't extended really past that), she can tell time in five-minute increments, she can do simple multiplication and understands half and fourth. I don't think dropping RS B was a disservice to my daughter.

Your child will never learn math and will end up in prison. :lol:

That's what I was afraid of!

I think I was just so convinced that RightStart was *the* program, and I was feeling guilty for not loving it. I also have become frustrated when the book expects me to have manipulatives that didn't come in the package. And sometimes I wish it would provide manipulatives for things like 1s 10s 100s 1000s instead of using these weird paper versions.

I really didn't mean to buy so many math curriculums. I had bought SM as extra practice for my son. And decided to buy the orange Miquon book for my 4yo who was begging to "do school." When my son saw us doing it, he asked if he could have a book like that too. Since it's not expensive, I got it for him, and he really loves it. He likes to try to figure out what he's supposed to do before I tell him. I can tell that it really makes him think.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. Sometimes I just need to hear that everything really will be okay if I don't follow the plan I had two years ago that I thought was perfect.

:chillpill:

I was in the same boat... I really wanted to love Right Start (mainly to justify to myself the 100+ dollars I convinced dh to drop for it) but just couldn't get with it. I am telling myself that we might take another look at it this summer (mainly because of the adding 4 digit numbers bit) but I'm doubtful... MEP and Miquon have been pretty stellar so far.