Menu

Question for Math Moms

My dd isn’t in high school yet, but I thought I’d come over here and ask the math moms a question. Hope that’s okay?

My dd is 11 and going into 6th gr. next year. She is finishing Saxon 7/6 3rd ed. plus doing chapter tests out of Lial’s BCM. I think I will have her do the chapters on ratios/proportions, percentages and beginning algebra also. She does not struggle with math. In fact, there hasn’t been one hitch in math this year. So next year.

I’m trying not to spend money (other major expenses) and use what sits on my shelf. At first I thought we would go ahead with Saxon Alg. ½ 2nd ed. which I own. I would probably purchase the DIVE CD for this. After talking to some other moms, and based on my older dds’ experience with Alg. ½, I’ve been thinking maybe we should use the new edition of 8/7. (Maybe purchase used?) Alg. ½ seems to start out well, and then about half way through the book makes a huge leap. This might not be an issue for this dd, but add to that the fact that she doesn’t like Saxon because it jumps all over the place she would prefer to do geometry separately, I looked to see what else I have. Teaching Textbook Alg. 1.

I have heard so much about TT being about a year behind, easy, not rigorous enough, I got to wondering if I could use this as a pre-algebra book. The CD’s give excellent explanation, the book doesn’t jump around as much as Saxon and doesn’t include geometry. Would this work or is it a very bad idea. My feelings won't be hurt if you say it's bad. :)

My dd’s dream math curriculum is Chalk Dust (watched a demo DVD), but it’s out of my price range this year – even used. So I’m trying to make do with what we have for 6th gr. I am NOT mathy. I rely on others’ advice for math and appreciate a CD/DVD program to help explain concepts. I can do the problems, but explaining is a different story.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Janet

A lot of people use BCM for pre-algebra, so if your dd has mastered the concepts in BCM (if she's taken all the chapter tests I would assume she has) then she could, theoretically, go into an algebra I course, especially one that may be a bit easier like TT. The only thing I would caution is to make sure your dd is developementally ready for the abstract thinking required in algebra. My younger ds did algebra I in 6th grade but he is a very analytical kid, and understood abstract math concepts at an early age. Some people notice that their children do better to wait until some of that "logic stage" thinking kicks in. Are you planning to do algebra I again the next year with a different curriculum, or move on to geometry?

We were planning on doing algebra again, probably with Chalk Dust. I was trying to find something to bridge us between Saxon 7/6 and another algebra course. I was hoping to not spend $$$ this year on math so that's why I was looking at TT Algebra. Up to now, math has always come easily for her. Of course, things could change when we start algebra.

Janet

I'd probably go ahead and try the TT since you have it. If she gets frustrated you can always drop back to Saxon Alg. 1/2. Also, there's not the pressure to get through the whole thing since you'll be covering it again with Chalkdust, so you can slow down if necessary. I think you're wise to use what you have. I'm trying to do that myself this year. I want to buy some cool new history curriculum but I know I have everything I need to do it WTM style on my shelf, so I'm practicing restraint. :D

Saxon Alg. 1/2 can be a bear to get through after 7/6. 3 of my DC all ran into trouble in the lessons starting in the 50s of Alg 1/2. For my up coming ds who just finished 7/6, he's going to be using CD prealgebra textbook (Aufmann, Barker, and Lockwood. Prealgebra) There's alot more prealgebra it than Lial's BCM which I think will be too easy for this dc who's my gifted one. For some of my other dc, I'd use Lial's. I really don't think you'll need CD DVDs for prealgebra. You can get Aufmann here for $4 and solutions for like $3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618372628

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618372652

A lot of people use BCM for pre-algebra, so if your dd has mastered the concepts in BCM (if she's taken all the chapter tests I would assume she has) then she could, theoretically, go into an algebra I course, especially one that may be a bit easier like TT. The only thing I would caution is to make sure your dd is developementally ready for the abstract thinking required in algebra.

My Lial experience is based on teaching adults at the CC, but I found that adults who breezed through BCM had a hard time with the leap into algebra. BCM is great for an arithmetic review--but there is little algebra in the text until the end.

My son had attended a Montessori school where he did some interesting things in math, but I thought he had gaps. Saxon worked for us because of the spiraling--it caught material in which he was not completely confident. He easily moved from the new 8/7 to Dolciani Algebra without any problems.

Carmen and Company recently discussed using Teaching Textbooks Algebra as a pre-algebra course. You'll want to read her posts in this thread.

Jane

I have heard that this book can be a challenge, but if your dd is well grounded in her math basics, then you should try it.

To give this further support, the WTM book states that the regular Saxon sequence for math following Math 76 is Algebra 1/2 for 7th grade. If your dd struggled through Math 76, then go on the Math 87. But if her work is solid and your dd's test scores for Math 76 are really good, then try the Algebra 1/2.

Claire in NM

My Lial experience is based on teaching adults at the CC, but I found that adults who breezed through BCM had a hard time with the leap into algebra. BCM is great for an arithmetic review--but there is little algebra in the text until the end.

Jane

with Jane. Both my girls used Lial's BCM, and it is very good, but I don't think there's enough pre-algebra in it, personally, although I tend to be very loyal to the program.

Both of my girls struggled with algebra---my older one finally caught on, but my middle daughter is still working on it. I wish now that we had done BCM in 6th grade, perhaps another pre-algebra program in 7th grade, and then on to algebra in 8th grade. I think that would have made for an easier transition for them.

with Jane. Both my girls used Lial's BCM, and it is very good, but I don't think there's enough pre-algebra in it, personally, although I tend to be very loyal to the program.

Both of my girls struggled with algebra---my older one finally caught on, but my middle daughter is still working on it. I wish now that we had done BCM in 6th grade, perhaps another pre-algebra program in 7th grade, and then on to algebra in 8th grade. I think that would have made for an easier transition for them.

Yes, I have to agree here as well. I think Lial's BCM is a good pre-Algebra program for students that just need to solidify their basic math skills before jumping into Algebra. BUT, for the younger student, or the student that struggles with math, a traditional pre-Algebra course will better serve them.

I have found this to be the case w/my 7th gr. dd. She finished up Singapore 6B, and we worked on the later chapters in BCM, but it just didn't click with her. I would definitely have done something along the lines of what Carmen suggested.

have known better myself, having been through it before with daughter #1! :blush: I guess I liked BCM so well, and since it worked so well with my oldest, I went ahead and had my middle daughter use it. Don't get me wrong---I do like Lial's math, and I'm not trying to speak poorly of the program. I think for some kids the progression from BCM straight to Introductory Algebra works fine. However, my oldest struggled with that transition---and she is more math-savvy than my middle daughter! So---I should have seen that one coming. Shame on me! I really, really should have had my dear middle daughter do pre-algebra. I'm going to read Carmen & Company's thread again.

At any rate, I'm having my middle daughter work through Introductory Algebra this summer, very slowly, and then I will have her re-do algebra next year when they attend the Catholic school. After reading so much about math on these boards, I no longer think of algebra as merely the first stepping-stone into higher level maths. Yes---it is that, but a thorough understanding and foundation in algebra is absolutely essential in order to succeed at any of the higher level maths.

I've always wondered why no one does Lial's Prealgebra after BCM. Chalkdust does Basic Math (very similar to Lial's BCM) in 6th, then Prealgebra in 7th (lots more prealgebra in it than BCM).

I would think that those using Lial's would follow the same sequence, but it appears that most go straight into Introductory Algebra after BCM, which would be a pretty big jump as there's only one chapter in it called "Basic Algebra".

I am intrigued by Carmen's idea, but will have to save it for my youngest.