Menu

TOG users, would it be hard to start with YR 4?

I'm trying to decide what to do for our next school year. I was considering TOG but we will be up to modern times so we would have to use the year 4 classic. Since we have never used TOG would this be a difficult place to start? My dc will be in 10th, 8th, and 4th.

I've been pursuing the TOG website but I couldn't find any samples of year 4 or much for booklists. I'm guessing that's because they are updating all the years and this is the last one to be updated. I would like to get an idea how much money I would need to spend to use TOG. But couldn't find any booklists to help me with that.

Thanks for your help.

Tina

We just finished Yr. 4. Yr. 4 is the last one to be updated, but honestly we are using all the classics and have no plans to buy the redesigned. I honestly like the layout. Yr. 4 is intense because of all the wars I would definetly check your library for the books on the booklist.

blessings

lori

I'm trying to decide what to do for our next school year. I was considering TOG but we will be up to modern times so we would have to use the year 4 classic. Since we have never used TOG would this be a difficult place to start? My dc will be in 10th, 8th, and 4th.

When we first started using TOG, my dc were 12th, 10th, 7th, 5th, and 2 little toddlers thrown in for good measure! We *had* to start with Y4 because that's what my oldest needed for course requirements for graduation. I thought it was a *great* year!! The boys (the 7th and 5th graders) LOVED all the wars, weapons and such. The girls (the 12th and 10th graders) liked all the progression of technology and such. And because so much of the 20th century either was filmed or had films made about such and such, we were able to watch LOTS of movies!! The kids REALLY loved that. They fell in love with Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin. They watched movies of some of the literature they read. That really made it a great year of study and took away a bit from the sadness of all the war and conflict of the time period.

TOG is set up so that you can start with any Yearplan or time period.

My family just complete TOG year 4 and really enjoyed it. When we began implementing TOG we started with year 3, by the way. Year 4, twentieth century, is one of the most virulent, dangerous centuries of all time. Yes, there are major world wars to study, but the students see God's grace throughout the atrocities of the 1900's. I have never taught from the revised TOG curriculum so I have no opinions regarding classic versus revised. My teens are learning tremendous history and literature at any rate. I have purchased very few books that were recommended on the TOG booklist, most were availabe through my county library.

HAve fun researching!

Denise