Menu

MEP question: does MEP year 6 prepare for AoPS?

... just wondering if we'd

need a transition btw. MEP Year6 and AoPS ...

:bigear:

Which AoPS? AoPS Introduction to Algebra would be a stretch for most 11 or 12yos, but pre-algebra, yes.

Which AoPS? AoPS Introduction to Algebra would be a stretch for most 11 or 12yos, but pre-algebra, yes.

Thanks ... did you go from MEP to AoPS? I'd be happy with pre-algebra; but I think we'll get there when Button is 8 or 9. Good grief, I realize I'm going 'round in circles about this; am just not sure what to do with Button. He's in MEP Year 4 now, and is 6 1/2. Now that you mention the 11/12 yos, I remember that I was concerned about starting AoPS b/c of the reading/writing component, but I think he'll be ready for algebra in the next couple of years.

At any rate: that's just what I needed to know! and anything you have to add is very much appreciated.

:)

Thanks ... did you go from MEP to AoPS?
No, I didn't know about MEP when DD the Elder went through K6 math and AoPS Pre-Algebra came out too later for her. DD the Younger is almost through Y2, and I've looked ahead, comparing content to Singapore. MEP Y6 will put the student in at least as good a position as Singapore (I've only seen the US edition, not Standards, so take that with a grain of salt).

I'd be happy with pre-algebra; but I think we'll get there when Button is 8 or 9. Good grief, I realize I'm going 'round in circles about this; am just not sure what to do with Button. He's in MEP Year 4 now, and is 6 1/2. Now that you mention the 11/12 yos, I remember that I was concerned about starting AoPS b/c of the reading/writing component, but I think he'll be ready for algebra in the next couple of years.
It's not just the readiness. AoPS Introduction to Algebra is *hard* and can't be done in 30 minutes a day. :tongue_smilie: I managed to put off Algebra with DD the Elder until just before she turned 10, but she needs it to move on in science. I'm having her continue with The Art of Problem Solving Vol. 1 while working through Life of Fred: Beginning Algebra. I'll then have her do AoPS Number Theory and Probability & Counting before AoPs Introduction to Algebra, and proceeding from there.

(pasted from a previous post)

Things we've used in our great algebra put-off:

LoF: Fractions, Decimals & Percents and Pre-Algebra 1 (and soon 2)

Venn Perplexors A-D (we use them without the pre-drawn charts)

Can You Count in Greek? (highly enjoyable)

Selected MEP units, including codes and ciphers

It's Alive, and It's Alive and Kicking (found a couple errors in solutions, including one major error)

Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, Orbiting with Logic

The Cryptoclub

Becoming a Problem Solving Genius

Challenge Math

Brain Maths (puzzles, from SingaporeMath.com, we found a few errors in the solutions for Book 1, many for Book 2)

Mathematics 6 (Russian Math, selected sections and all starred problems; this text is a thing of beauty)

CWP 5 and 6

Alien Math (working four operations in different number bases)

Piece of Pi (meh)

Patty Paper Geometry (I highly recommend this)

Cryptoclub was a hoot. It takes awhile to get into the heavier math, but it was worth it :) The workbook is a free download from the linked page, and the publisher will send you the answer key on request. A very little basic algebra is required (e.g. solving systems of equations with two variables). Here are some more short, free codes & ciphers units from CIMT (the MEP folks).

• Like 1

I'm having her continue with The Art of Problem Solving Vol. 1 while working through Life of Fred: Beginning Algebra. I'll then have her do AoPS Number Theory and Probability & Counting before AoPs Introduction to Algebra, and proceeding from there.

We're doing AoPS Vol.1 now. I was going to get ItA, because that was what I had previously planned, but forget that she finished Dolciani in 7th grade, then LOF Algebra. I'm wondering if AoPS Vol. 1 and 2 (along with all the LOFs and a Geometry course by a guy with a vich at the end of his name :tongue_smilie:) would prepare for AoPS Intermediate Algebra or Pre-Calculus. Or I might just be optimistic. :tongue_smilie:

We're doing AoPS Vol.1 now. I was going to get ItA, because that was what I had previously planned, but forget that she finished Dolciani in 7th grade, then LOF Algebra. I'm wondering if AoPS Vol. 1 and 2 (along with all the LOFs and a Geometry course by a guy with a vich at the end of his name :tongue_smilie:) would prepare for AoPS Intermediate Algebra or Pre-Calculus. Or I might just be optimistic. :tongue_smilie:

Solomonovich?

Things we've used in our great algebra put-off:

LoF: Fractions, Decimals & Percents and Pre-Algebra 1 (and soon 2)

Venn Perplexors A-D (we use them without the pre-drawn charts)

Can You Count in Greek? (highly enjoyable)

Selected MEP units, including codes and ciphers

It's Alive, and It's Alive and Kicking (found a couple errors in solutions, including one major error)

Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, Orbiting with Logic

The Cryptoclub

Becoming a Problem Solving Genius

Challenge Math

Brain Maths (puzzles, from SingaporeMath.com, we found a few errors in the solutions for Book 1, many for Book 2)

Mathematics 6 (Russian Math, selected sections and all starred problems; this text is a thing of beauty)

CWP 5 and 6

Alien Math (working four operations in different number bases)

Piece of Pi (meh)

Patty Paper Geometry (I highly recommend this)

Thanks for posting this!

THank you for posting that list! We've done some of them, but not all. I am thinking of spending another year on pre-pre-algebra stuff (MM6, CWP5-6) before heading into pre-algebra and these are great resources.

Yeah, I think we're going to take a math sabbatical next year. My daughter wants to try Math on the Menu (it's in the math section of TWTM).

Well, as I'm feeling optimistic, I'm not going to concern myself with it until later. :tongue_smilie:

I am hoping that between the Instructor's Manual and the text, I will be prepared.

... very dangerous. You go first.

(and share with me :tongue_smilie:)

Dear Moira and Shawna,

(Apologies in advance for the derail, Ana!) I was liking the looks of the Solomonovich book, too, but am scared off by having no solutions....then I found this, by James Tanton:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/geometry-volume-i/11589475?productTrackingContext=author_spotlight_932947_

There's a second volume of geometry, too--the two volumes amount to nearly a thousand pages, and the author has a PhD in math from Princeton, so I'm pretty hopeful! I wish there were a lengthier sample, but it has definite possibilities, I think.

Anyway, thought I'd toss the link out there for other soon-to-be geometers....

Best,

HG

ETA: Meant to mention that Tanton has a lot of geometry (among other topics) videos on his youtube channel, so it's possible to get a bit more of a feel for his approach there than is possible from the brief samples at Lulu.

I sent the videos to my oldest so she could see if she liked him (she's quite loyal to Salman Khan, so she's glaring at me :tongue_smilie:)

I did google him looking for more samples of the geometry, but got sidetracked by his other work. I'm thinking about getting a few of the ebooks for my youngest because I really liked those. Thanks for mentioning him. :001_smile: