Menu

x/p: Origins Study (Evolution, OEC, YEC)

I am attempting to put together an Origins study for my 12yo son to complete prior to starting Biology in the fall. The problem is, I keep finding more and more "recommended" resources...lol I need to whittle this down to something we can accomplish in 2-3 months.

Evolution

PBS Movies on the subject

"Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life" (movie)

The Beak of the Finch (book) Evolution: Howe We & All Living Things Came to Be (book)

The Magic of Reality (Dawkins)

Your Inner Fish (Shubin)

Charles Darwin on the Origin of the Species – Illustrated

Why Evolution is True (Coyne)

Old Earth

The Bible, Rocks and Time: Geological Evidence for the Age of the Earth

The Lost World of Genesis One

The Evolution of Adam (Enns)

The Biblical Case for an Old Earth (have)

HAVE: Origins of the Species Revisited

Young Earth Resources…AIG online articles and some videos.

I would like something that compares/contrasts all three... and I need to whittle down my Evolution books to probably the top three or four.

Thank you for any insight into this!

Are you looking for materials that explain evolutionary theory as it is understood today, or are you looking for materials that argue for/against young earth theory? I think the first is harder to find (most materials seem to just assume it's true, or to spend all their time refuting), and the second you could fill an ocean with the materials published by both sides - you might need to pick a favorite author?

I'm looking for 2-4 books on Evolutionary Theory...explaining it, with the assumption it is true. There are a TON of books/videos. I want books at a middle/high school level which clearly explain the theory.

I think I have some of the better OEC resources...but if there is something better, that's fine too. Online, videos, etc. (I'm covering Theistic Evolution here, too).

I'm not collecting anymore YEC resources...it permeates pretty much all of the science for 2 years, and every science-related book we've been given.

This is more to give my son a working understanding of these three major views, so he has the ability to converse intelligently about them, vs. what he's been "told" about them.

We will probably hit this topic again in high school, with a more apologetics angle, but for now...just the "facts" ma'am ;D

The National Academy of Sciences produced a slim book a few years ago which may be helpful. Science, Evolution and Creation can be downloaded as a free PDF here.

Members of the National Academy are distinguished scientists. I trust their publications.

This is a well done book. It is meant to explain evolution at a basic "what do those terms mean" level. It is brief, so while the book might need rereading for full understanding you aren't dealing with 100smof pages.

Another book I would recommend is The Language of Science and Faith by Francis Collins.

I have no idea if this interests you or not, but here are some sources that explain the Catholic view is that evolution is not at all contrary to faith.

http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/preview.aspx?id=236

http://www.ignatius.com/promotions/intelligentproject/popeevolution.htm

(at a more elevated level of reading)

http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/JP961022.HTM

This article is not about evolution, but about the geologic time scale. It is written as a direct comparison between the geologic time scale that you would find in a college geology book and the time scale implied by a young earth viewpoint.

I found his tone to be frustrated, but not out and out antagonistic toward Christians. (Speaking as a Christian, I didn't see that he was saying the geologic time scale disproved God, but that the young earth timeline didn't match up with the evidence.)

One thing that I appreciated about the article was the explicit footnoting.

Thank you everyone...I've been bookmarking and making notes of resources. The NAS one sounds like a good place to start. I also appreciate the Catholic resources on evolution not being contrary to faith. The main idea I will be teaching my son is that his faith in God is not bound to a certain "how" to creation, and opening him up to reasoning between the three main ideas himself (as well as how to handle being around those who may hold very strong opinions one way or another). My goal is to teach him *how* to think, not *what* to think. :D