Menu

TOG: Dialectic and Rhetoric discussion together?

I do ours together, actually history and church history. I make notes to myself ahead of time about which questions are similar and which are specific to a particular level, doesn't necessarily mean the other level child can't answer though. It works well.

Susan:

I have always discussed history and church history with my dialetic and rhetoric students together - saves valuable time and enhances discussion time. Many of the accountablility and some thinking questions are quite similiar and certainly pertain to weekly topics. I use these questions to hear them read their prepared answers and to use as jumping off points. Most weeks I read the teacher notes, underling key points I want to emphasize with them during discussion time. By meeting together there is another benefit that they learn to be respectful when the other is talking and is expressing an opinion that may differ. They also take some notes if I feel an important facet is missing from their answers. About every five to six weeks I test them by writing a short answer exam. They take the same test - hence discussion together helps. Often on the test, however, I will omit certain questions depending if my dialectice child did not cover that particular point. Really, TOG is so very flexible and malleable.

Has anyone here tried combining (history) discussion sessions for Dialectic and Rhetoric? How did it work?

I'm with Karen... although I didn't think to do this till we were in an on-line co-op.... I'm so glad we did. It saves so much time... and the kids pick stuff up that the other might not have gotten from reading or research.