Menu

Setting aside Apologia for a moment, which chemistry course/approach would you recommend for a sophomore who's not STEM focused, dislikes math (getting A- in Saxon), and wants to attend a university that asks for four years of science culminating in physics? When she starts chem next year as a tenth grader, she will have finished bio and most/all of Algebra II. Proposed sequence: ninth bio, tenth chem, eleventh physics, and twelfth AP Environmental Science.

Tia

We are doing an integrated Chemistry and Physics using The STG and Dummy books along with Cosmology from Great Courses, Elegant Universe, How the Universe Works and The Glencoe Science text as a spine guide. Reading requirements are Genesis and the Big Bang, Elegant Universe, Fabric of the Cosmos, and a few others I haven't assigned yet.

Chemistry now comes before Biology as well. The reasons are pretty obvious Apologia had been our standard for my first lot of kiddos, now in college, but the second batch, 14, 12, and 11, are going to be the integrated sciences. I did have to teach the youngest some algebraic principles but he likes formulas.

Ber

Edited by Ima6

Spectrum is a pretty light chemistry. It's awfully warm and fuzzy. My dd spent 30-45 minutes/week on it, not counting the labs. The labs were actually quite good.

Conceptual chemistry doesn't have as much math, but has a LOT more chemistry. I think it provides much better coverage than Spectrum does.

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing discussion from this & other threads, to what extent is your chemistry curriculum self-guided? Assuming a motivated, self-disciplined student, do you think your curriculum is/was suitable for minimal instructor involvement? Brenda in MA said she liked how planned-out Spectrum was, including lab supplies: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290192&highlight=spectrum

Our goal: a mostly self-taught, not upper level, basic high school chemistry course with labs, with study plan already worked out. Doesn't have to meet all SAT II topics. Answer keys a must.

We're now deciding between (a) Spectrum (http://beginningspublishing.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=43) and (b) CK-12 chemistry (first edition with teacher's book, etc) along with Robert Bruce Thompson's "Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments: All Lab, No Lecture" (ISBN 0596514921) and his lab kit here: http://www.thehomescientist.com/kits/CK01/ck01-main.html. In either case, we'll also consult the Teaching Company's chemistry course by Cardulla: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1012

For others perusing this and other chemistry threads and wondering about costs, Option A is $316. Option B is $18 + $175 (not printing CK-12 books). We already purchased the TC lectures on DVD for $80.

Does Spectrum's additional cost pay off in terms of an easier path for self-guided work?

Thoughts?

Does Spectrum's additional cost pay off in terms of an easier path for self-guided work?

I haven't used it yet, but I have used the Rainbow with 2 kids.

My primary reason for wanting to use Spectrum is that the labs are do-able and really, really get done. It will be a real lab credit, through and through. So many years, we get behind in labs, find out we don't get something or cant find materials or just see it all in the book/online and ds insists he already gets it. I know with Rainbow, labs got done every single week.

Julie

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as well here. . . .

I've refused to use Apologia Chemistry again - it was a big dud with dd#1.

My thoughts so far are Spectrum Chemistry, again, b/c the labs will get done. But based on what I'm hearing on these boards, I'd like to beef it up a bit for my son. He's done Apologia Bio & Adv. Bio, so he's taking Chem. as an 11th grade science.

Any thoughts on having him work through the chemistry lectures presented by Georgia Public Broadcasting? I feel relatively comfortable with chem topics. . . . .