Menu

Spectrum Chemistry - Beyond Beginning Algebra?

Ana has biology and Algebra I all but done. We'll finish this week. She did great with Biology via Apologia. We were planning on moving into Spectrum Chemistry next. However, she really struggled with Algebra. Once she switched to Life of Fred she did well but it really had presented a challenge.

This has me wondering. Should I plan Chemistry and Life of Fred Advanced Algebra at the same time or wait to complete Algebra before beginning Chemistry? (She doesn't mind working through summers with a short break here and there.)

Ana has biology and Algebra I all but done. We'll finish this week. She did great with Biology via Apologia. We were planning on moving into Spectrum Chemistry next. However, she really struggled with Algebra. Once she switched to Life of Fred she did well but it really had presented a challenge.

This has me wondering. Should I plan Chemistry and Life of Fred Advanced Algebra at the same time or wait to complete Algebra before beginning Chemistry? (She doesn't mind working through summers with a short break here and there.)

One option is to use Bridge Math, which is a 7 week math program to help the student understand math needed for Spectrum. That will probably give you a good indication as to whether she currently has the skills to tacle Spectrum right now.

• 1 year later...

I would recommend the Bridge math, too, if for no other reason than that different math programs sometimes use different terms.

Having said that, although we bought it, we didn't use it. But my student is very strong in math and will be taking calculus at CC spring semester (we are not doing math this semester).