Menu

Including a tutor taught class on a transcript

this could apply to a co-op class too, I think. When you write out your transcript is there any indication made if you are not the teacher of the class? Is there a benefit to showing that some classes were taught or graded by someone other than the mom? Math and science (chemistry this year) is being taught by a tutor this year. I hear occasionally about schools being wary of "Mommy grades": is this true? Do you ask for some kind of a written report or record from an outside teacher at the end of the course?

this could apply to a co-op class too, I think. When you write out your transcript is there any indication made if you are not the teacher of the class? Is there a benefit to showing that some classes were taught or graded by someone other than the mom? Math and science (chemistry this year) is being taught by a tutor this year. I hear occasionally about schools being wary of "Mommy grades": is this true? Do you ask for some kind of a written report or record from an outside teacher at the end of the course?

No. Why would there be?

The only time I did anything different on transcripts was for community college classes. Otherwise, there was no notation of who the teacher of each class was.

I guess I would expect some sort of a course description from a co-op or tutor, in case I needed that at some point (some colleges want course descriptions, right?). I would also expect the teacher to provide an evaluation or grade, as otherwise I wouldn't know what grade to put on the transcript.

I would not think it makes a difference to the school whether the class was taught by some "tutor" or "coop" as opposed to "mom" because the school has no way of judging the quality in either of these scenarios. I would not include this info on the transcript, but I would in the course description, when you explain how the grade was determined.

I mark on the transcript all classes that have been taken at a college/university, and for which an official transcript will be provided.

I indicated on my daughter's transcript the location of classes that she took -- at home, at the local homeschooling resource center, at the local community college, or online through PA Homeschoolers. This information was also included in her course descriptions. In the homeschooling profile that I wrote, I had a section entitled 'Educational Partners' in which I included information about a writing tutor, the homeschooling resource center, the community college and PA Homeschoolers.

I solicited feedback from my daughter's writing tutor at the end of her year's study with him. This was in 9th grade, so I did not include that letter in her application packet. However, I did incorporate comments that he made in the counselor letter I submitted.

Regards,

Kareni

I am modeling my approach after some of the transcripts that have been posted on the yahoo group hs2coll by parents who have successfully navigated the application process.

I have a column on the transcript titled "Academic Provider" and similar to Kareni's approach, I am including a section in the homeschool profile that provides information on each provider.

I also ask for a written report/certificate of completion for all outside courses. I am not planning on including this information in the college application packet, but I will state that the information is available upon request.

I am modeling my approach after some of the transcripts that have been posted on the yahoo group hs2coll by parents who have successfully navigated the application process.

I have a column on the transcript titled "Academic Provider" and similar to Kareni's approach, I am including a section in the homeschool profile that provides information on each provider.

I also ask for a written report/certificate of completion for all outside courses. I am not planning on including this information in the college application packet, but I will state that the information is available upon request.

Same here ... except for the last bit. Good idea!