Menu

EPGY opinions?

summer

but I have looked into it. I decided to go with Singapore Math for primary grades and have recently started using Thinkwell Algebra with my eldest. I have heard that TW is the basis of some of the EPGY/CTY math courses, but I haven't verified that.

You can purchase a year's access to TW Algebra for under $70 using the HS Buyers Coop (or under $200 straight up). Compared to EPGY or JHU's CTY. . . well, there's no $ comparison! For me, I decided that I am fully competent and capable to tutor and help my dc with math, at least through highschool level. So, I just wanted to choose the best possible curricula, and I can teach it myself. Frankly, I believe I'd do a better job than most online tutors and I could easily enough land a job teaching elem-highschool math. . . so I can't see why that would be a suject I'd pay to out-source.

*If I was not confident* in my math skills, I'd consider EPGY, etc.

We used EPGY for both my children for the younger math classes. Ds used k-2 and 3-4 dd did k-2 she is going into second grade and we will continue this summer. EPGY worked great for my son - he loved being on the computer and hated all work book type programs. Dd liked doing the program more because her brother was doing it. - she loves workbooks. However we will continue with the EPGY program for her this summer because it will help her get into a GT center school for third grade.

I recommended the program to my sister for her dd for the older math classes, not sure if was algebra. The problem they had was the computer program kept crashing - EPGY did give them extra time to make up for the lost time, but my niece got frustrated with the delays.

Guest bionde777

I cannot recommend EPGY enough! My daughter completed AP Algebra I, Expository Writing I and II. The Algebra course was extremely difficult for her with so many exercises and tests, but she ended up getting an A in the course. The tutor at Stanford was wonderful, the communication was excellent, and the curriculum was outstanding! I plan on using them again next year for the AP Algebra II course, Mandarin Chinese and a Language Arts course. I will also use them for my son as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Do most homeschooling families get discounts via an organization or such?
They have generous financial aid for individuals.

It's difficult for a homeschooling organization to qualify for their Schools Program. I tried to set this up, but it was never "school like" enough for them, and I finally gave up. Even if you could jump through all the hoops, you'd still need a minimum number of children per course to qualify for the discounts. Discounts are greatest for the elementary math courses, which can be offered with only last ditch support from EPGY (i.e. you pay for the computer component, not a live tutor). Years ago, there was a homeschool EPGY program based in the San Francisco area that serviced homeschoolers regardless of geographical area, but no one I talked with at EPGY recalled (or would admit to recalling) this.

Check your local public school system (and perhaps even local private schools) to see if there's already an active EPGY Schools Program in your area. You might be able to buy in at a discounted rate.

We're using EPGY for math. Ds has completed grades 2-3, both this year. It has been a big hit! He can move at his own pace, and I love that they use proper mathematical terms right off. It's really the only subject that he BEGS to keep on working at, even when he has completed a session.

Ds says about EPGY "Geometry, statistics and probability are fun."

We pay a discounted rate (I think we pay 40% of the listed tuition), and it only took a day for them to approve the financial aid, if I remember correctly.