Menu

Breaking News: Beast Academy 3a ToC on Facebook

Rivka

I'm guessing Singapore does skip counting prior to 3rd grade and RS does skip counting in 1st and 2nd grade but I don't think all (most?) curriculum have the students skip counting before multiplication.

I would think almost all 2nd graders have learned multiplication but as the people from BA have said -- skip counting is not just important for multiplication! I would've been a bit surprised if they did not touch on it.

• 2 years later...

Hehe, I encountered this thread while googling "Please explain Beast Academy Skip counting chapter" for help with the balancing segment of the skip counting chapter.

Now that all of you have seen the chapter and worked it, what are your opinions of it?  

Personally, I found the chapter to be quite challenging, despite the content being "skip-counting."  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the last section of the chapter.  

We loved the skip-counting chapter! So many interesting aspects sneakily hidden in something deceptively simple.

I posted in another BA thread that my 6th grader walked in while we were working through some of the hundreds-chart problems, and she said, "You guys are studying multiples and factors?" in this jealous and incredulous voice.  The balancing stuff was quite brilliant.  I feel like using BA is helping me understand (and appreciate) the AoPS PreA book in a way I didn't previously.  I'm very happy for my younger that she's of an age to be able to use this all the way through.

And no, it ain't skip-counting like we were all thinking . . . 

I feel like using BA is helping me understand (and appreciate) the AoPS PreA book in a way I didn't previously.

I agree with Rose's entire comment, but I wanted to particularly highlight this comment. Having worked through all of BA, the prep/leadin/glimpse (not sure what to call it) into preA book is incredible. I thought perfect squares chapter, exponents, counting chapter, all of those create perfect landing into preA. I am so very sad that my older can't wait for the entire series.

The pattern work in the skip counting chapter is pure fun!