Menu

Has anyone here developed an allergy to eyeglasses?

We've just about come to the conclusion that an allergy to my glasses (either nose pads or metal) is my problem. I'm wearing contact lenses and my eyes have felt better than they have for 6 months (actually the skin around my eyes and on the bridge of my nose).

It sounds totally weird since I've worn glasses since I was 2! Has anyone here developed an allergy to eyeglasses after wearing them for a long time? I know I have a sensitivity to nickel but I think the problem is the nose-pad material.

We've eliminated everything else (at least that we can think of): blepharitis, cosmetics, soaps, environmental toxins, etc. So I'm working on an "elimination diet" of my eyeglasses. My all plastic reading glasses aren't bothering me.

If you've had this problem, will you PM me and tell me a bit about it and how you discovered the problem and whether you saw a dermatologist/allergist/ophthalmologist?

Yes - and FWIW most eyeglasses contain nickel. I discovered the problem when my nose and sides of my face where the sidepieces touched turned bright bright green.

I have to buy special titanium frames now that are mostly nickel free, and even then after about 6 months wear the protective coatings on the glasses begin to wear off and I start turning green again.

Thanks! I'm glad to know that I'm not just crazy :) I ordered new frameless glasses that have titanium ear pieces. But I think the problem is the nose pad because that's where it first starts - eventually, without steroids, it spreads all around my eyes. I'm going to have the office order hypo-allergenic nosepads to see if that helps. But, like I said, I have a nickel sensitivity (based on the fact that I cannot wear earrings that aren't gold or high quality silver). So it might be a combination of both. I will be soooo happy when this problem is gone! I look like I'm wearing red eyeshadow all the time :)

Have you tried putting clear nail polish over the nosepads?

This is what my sister has to do. Also, they have cloth/suedish nosepads... they came in my eyeglass kit that I got at the dollar store - I doubt they last as long.

Here's an interesting article: http://www.glassescrafter.com/information/Frame-Materials-and-Allergies.html

Hope it helps you.

I haven't tried that. I wonder, though, since the pads are so flexible if the nail polish will flex as well. All the glasses I've seen recently are the type with the silicone nose pads that can be pulled in or pushed out depending on the anatomy of a person's nose. I wish I could find some of those old fashioned molded plastic frames - the kind I grew up with as a child.

I've worn glasses since I was 1. I mostly wear contacts at this point (and have since I was 12). Every single pair of glasses has been downright painful and rashy for YEARS if I have to wear them longer than about an hour per day. I never thought of the possibility of an allergy. :001_huh:

When I Googled the problem, I was surprised at how much information was out there about the prevalence of allergies to glasses! The only days I had relief was when I would take antihistamines (Zyrtec, Benadryl) and/or prednisone (which I totally hate taking). I think the new materials used in manufacturing probably contribute to an increase in prevalence.

This is what my sister has to do. Also, they have cloth/suedish nosepads... they came in my eyeglass kit that I got at the dollar store - I doubt they last as long.

Here's an interesting article: http://www.glassescrafter.com/information/Frame-Materials-and-Allergies.html

Hope it helps you.

Interesting article! I'm also interested in the part about the coatings because I think I got just about all the possibilities in this pair of glasses :D

Oh, that's awful! Have you tried any other type of nose pieces?

No, not yet. Glasses are expensive.

The Dr. gave me a prescription for my eyes to help with the allergy. I don't take it. Side effects are burning and blurred vision. Yeah, those drops burned and then I couldn't see for an hour. No thanks.

If I wasn't a chicken about surgery, I'd think about having that done. However, I am also nursing so wouldn't be able to do it now anyway.

• 1 year later...
Guest sweet caroline

I suspect I am allergic to my plastic eyeframes.Although this just started about a month ago and I have had them about 6 months, I definitely have contact dermatitis where they rest upon my nose. I had a similar reaction several years ago to another pair of all plastic frames. I believe I am in allergy overload, meaning I am usually under control most time and the eyeglasses would not usually bother me, but when I am immunosuppressed for one reason or another, I become sentitive to things that do not usually trigger an attack. When this happens, I know the only solution is to get an IM of cortisone to calm it down. If you do this only a couple of times of year, it can help tremendously.