Menu

High School Diploma

I read a thread on the General Forum about needing a high school diploma , and I have to admit, it worried me a little...

Since you guys (girls) are homeschooling high schoolers, how will you issue a diploma?...Do you belong to some sort of umbrella school or online program to issue a diploma for you?...Will you send your child to a school by senior year to "graduate"...My son is starting 6th next year, and I am trying to think ahead to what we will need about his (and his brothers) high school years...Some are suggesting getting a GED or diploma from an online program...Do you feel this is necessary?...How are you handling it?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is off topic :tongue_smilie:

How will you issue a diploma?...

When my dd finish the course of study I have planned, I issue a diploma.

Do you belong to some sort of umbrella school or online program to issue a diploma for you?...

No.

Will you send your child to a school by senior year to "graduate"...

No.

Some are suggesting getting a GED or diploma from an online program...Do you feel this is necessary?..

No.

How are you handling it?

See above. :)

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is off topic :tongue_smilie:

YW. And of course it isn't off topic. :)

Edited by Ellie

Ds's transcript will be issued by me probably with the wording something like, "Wakefield Academy Official High School Transcript".

As far as the diploma itself I'll probably order one like this. http://www.homeschooldiploma.com/

My ds will not get a GED and any school that wants one will get crossed off the list.

He will ACT scores, probably some other scores AP or SAT II to verify his mommy grades.

From my own research on this question, my understanding is that as long as you comply with your state's homeschooling laws, AND your student completes your high school requirements, yes, YOU may award your student a diploma, and it is both an official and valid diploma, proving completion of your homeschool high school program. Your homeschool diploma will NOT be an accredited diploma unless you go through an accreditation program.

SIDE NOTE: While I have not heard of any job applications and colleges requiring an *accredited* diploma, I suppose it is a possibility. At that point, though, is it perhaps worth thinking through: "If the organization (job or college) is going to be THAT picky and difficult to work with… Do I REALLY want to deal with them and all their picky hoops to jump, or is it better to just move on to those organizations who DO appreciate me precisely for my unique strengths and abilities?"

Also: just to be clear -- NOT ALL high schools are accredited. Accreditation simply means a school or business has undergone a type of quality assurance process under which services and operations of educational institutions or programs are evaluated by an external body to determine if applicable standards are met. If standards are met, accredited status is granted by the agency.

So, a diploma awarded by an unaccredited school is VALID (in other words, the diploma was issued by the school to the student because the student accomplished all that was required by the school in order to receive the diploma). But the diploma is not accredited. The diploma IS official, valid, and proof of completion of a particular set of high school graduation requirements -- in the SAME way, your homeschool diploma IS official, valid proof of completion of a particular set of high school graduation requirements.

A GED is NOT a high school diploma, and is NOT proof of graduation from high school. In addition, a GED can often be more of a detriment than a help, as employers usually consider a GED applicant as less intelligent or accomplished than a diploma applicant; and the military will reduce the availability of eligible training and positions to those with a GED rather than a diploma. Here is a compilation of articles on the GED and homeschoolers = http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/olderkids/GED.htm

An accredited diploma is acquired through:

- completion of high school at an accredited school or accredited online "virtual" school

- oversight of homeschooling through an accreditation company

- oversight of homeschooling through an accredited umbrella/cover/charter school

Please be sure to keep your OWN careful records of coursework, grades, and samples of work even if you use an accredited "umbrella" school or other accreditation company, as several people on this Board have had experiences with LOST transcripts, coursework that was neglected from the office records, etc., in spite of the fact that that was exactly what they were PAYING for.

In addition to creating your own transcripts and keeping a portfolio of sample work as proof of your student's work and for grades awarded, keep copies of:

- official transcripts from any other online classes

- official transcripts from any local high school classes, etc.

- official transcripts from dual enrollment coursework with community college

- PSAT, SAT, ACT, AP, CLEP, and any other national test scores

To help prevent any questions raised in the minds of a potential college or employer by the phrase "homeschooling", you may wish to name your homeschool -- for example, you might name your homeschool "Autumn Oak Academy". You can even create a letterhead, and make a logo to include on the transcript and/or diploma. Make sure you include the word "official" on your transcript. You can also get embossed seals, or even pay to have a notary public stamp on the transcript for further "official" proof.

Here are more links that may be of help as you work through what to do about homeschooling and diplomas:

Homeschool Diploma FAQ (good links to even more info at the end of the FAQ) = http://www.homeschooldiploma.com/planning/can-you-issue-a-diploma-.html'>http://www.homeschooldiploma.com/planning/can-you-issue-a-diploma-.html

HSLDA articles on high school diplomas = http://www.hslda.org/highschool/diploma.asp

Lee Binz, the Home Scholar = Can I Give My Homeschooler a Diploma = http://www.thehomescholar.com/blog/can-i-give-my-homeschooler-a-diploma/1366/

As far as what we have done:

- write "official" on my homeschool transcripts

- printed out our state's graduation requirements, and went above and beyond in credit requirements, and keep records of what was used to do so

- taken both ACT and SAT tests to verify homeschool grades

- dual enrollment courses at the Community College, and keep copies of the transcripts

- purchased and awarded a diploma through http://www.homeschooldiploma.com at our homeschool group's graduation ceremony

- did not go with any accreditation "umbrella" school or company

We live in a very relaxed state about homeschooling, and DSs are both going straight from homeschool to CC to knock off general ed. classes while they figure out what they want to do with their lives, so we have had NO problems. Of the many homeschoolers I know locally who have graduated students who have gone off to both in-state and out-of-state universities (public and private), none have paid for any kind of accreditation, and NONE have had any issues with college entrance; NONE have had any job application issues; NONE have had any military entrance issues. (Of course, the post on the General Board is the exception that proves the rule ;) )

BEST of luck in deciding how to handle your homeschooling diploma! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

For my daughter, once she completed a course of study more or less equivalent to what the local public schools require, we bought her a diploma (from the website listed above). She had already been accepted to the early entrance program by the time we had a party and awarded her the document.

For my son, I'm considering an umbrella school. This kid is enthused by the idea of working to meet external requirements and earning a diploma from someone other than Mom and Dad. I'm not especially concerned that the "school" be accredited. I just want him to feel like the graduation is more meaningful than he might without it.

Relax. Everything will be fine. If you need a plan so you can relax, here's one:

You have a choice in New Jersey. You can get a state-issued diploma by completing 30 college credits. :001_smile:

http://www.nj.gov/education/students/ged/30ccapp.pdf

If you're planning to send your kids to college anyway, don't sweat it. Once they complete the required 30 credits, you can forward their transcript and the state will issue a diploma. You can stick it in the drawer in case somebody ever wants to look at it. :001_smile:

No worries,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

From my own research on this question, my understanding is that as long as you comply with your state's homeschooling laws, AND your student completes your high school requirements, yes, YOU may award your student a diploma, and it is both an official and valid diploma, proving completion of your homeschool high school program. Your homeschool diploma will NOT be an accredited diploma unless you go through an accreditation program.

Most state laws have no stipulations as to how a homeschooled student may be graduated. Some states don't mention "homeschooling" at all, and some others have court cases which recognized homeschooling as private schools where there was no specific statute, such as Texas, California, and Illinois, and in those states, private schools aren't regulated by the state, which means there are no requirements for how students are graduated.

Cross posting from another thread. Is there any disadvantage later on to using an outside agency like Clonara, Kolbe or NARS? College scholarships or acceptance?

Well I look forward to reading people's replies. We're researching such schools right now, because we felt there would be an ADVANTAGE to her having a diploma from such a school versus a homeschool diploma. (that's not the only reason we're looking into them, I also want some outside help and accountability, but it's one of the reasons.) If there is any way in which this could backfire, I would like to know so.

I'm also wondering to what extent some of these schools have better reputations (at least among college admissions people) than others. Anyone know?

Well I look forward to reading people's replies. We're researching such schools right now, because we felt there would be an ADVANTAGE to her having a diploma from such a school versus a homeschool diploma. (that's not the only reason we're looking into them, I also want some outside help and accountability, but it's one of the reasons.) If there is any way in which this could backfire, I would like to know so.

I'm also wondering to what extent some of these schools have better reputations (at least among college admissions people) than others. Anyone know?

I've been following this thread and the other... We're also thinking about using Kolbe for high school.

Cross posting from another thread. Is there any disadvantage later on to using an outside agency like Clonara, Kolbe or NARS? College scholarships or acceptance?

No. No advantage, either, at least not to such a degree that all homeschoolers should do it that way.

Articles about various aspects of accreditation, and how it affects homeschoolers.

Article with lists of specific accredited homeschool high school programs, by type (i.e. religious, cyberschools, correspondence schools, waldorf, montessori, unschooling, etc.)

CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) website, which has a search engine for determining the validity of a company's accreditation

Search engine can be used to determine if an institution is accredited or not.

Wikipedia list of unaccredited institutions (for what it's worth).

The Complete Guide to Online High schools (Thomas Nixon), which includes information on accreditation and what to look for if you go with an accreditation company.

Edited by Lori D.

Relax. Everything will be fine. If you need a plan so you can relax, here's one:

You have a choice in New Jersey. You can get a state-issued diploma by completing 30 college credits. :001_smile:

http://www.nj.gov/education/students/ged/30ccapp.pdf

If you're planning to send your kids to college anyway, don't sweat it. Once they complete the required 30 credits, you can forward their transcript and the state will issue a diploma. You can stick it in the drawer in case somebody ever wants to look at it. :001_smile:

No worries,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Is this the same in NYS? I recall an HSLDA case where a college student was being refused a diploma from the SUNY system because he had a homeschool diploma and not a GED. He didn't want to get a GED because of the stigma. I recall the case was resolved but the regulations regarding the SUNY system are still unclear to me.

Article with lists of specific accredited homeschool high school programs, by type (i.e. religious, cyberschools, correspondence schools, waldorf, montessori, unschooling, etc.)

Thanks! For all of the links, but especially this one. I've been wondering how many programs are out there that I've never heard of. I'm sure there's no such thing as a perfectly complete list, but this definitely helps.

Not the same but close.....

"New York State regulations prohibit colleges within the state from granting a degree to a student unless that student has a state-recognized high school diploma or has met a substitute requirement. The approved substitutes include obtaining a GED diploma (either via a test or via a 24-credit-hour college program) or obtaining a letter from the student's school district superintendent stating that the student has received the substantial equivalent of a high school education. Because New York homeschoolers do not receive state-recognized high school diplomas, they must meet one of the substitute requirements.

Under the new rules, the 24-credit-hour college program's subject distribution requirements have been relaxed. Also, because some homeschoolers believe there is an unacceptable stigma associated with a GED diploma, the 24-credit-hour option is no longer associated with the GED. Students also have the option of passing the five Regents exams that are required of public school students.

Additionally, the state's homeschooling regulation was changed to address the issue of compulsory school age students who want to go to college full-time. Such students' IHIPs now need to include a list of the courses to be taken."

* Take from the NYHEN web site

So if you homeschool your high school student in NY want the student wants to go to college in New York you need to jump thru a few extra hoops.

Here is a past thread that may be of help: New Yorkers who plan on sending homeschool graduates to a NY university -- help!

Also, try a google search for "homeschool admission requirements" with the name of the school you are interested in and you will usually come up with exactly what you need, which often includes contact names and numbers for your questions. Examples:

Homeschool Information for SUNY Orange County Community College
Canton State University homeschool admissions requirements
New York State graduation requirements for a Regents diploma or Advanced Regents diploma
CUNY City University of New York homeschool admission requirements

As I mentioned on the other recent thread, I have one data point of a friend being told last year (2010-11) that her son's app would be looked at more favorably as a homeschooler than with the official transcript from the cover organization she used for transcript services.

I can only suspect that was because with the "official" transcript, he would be lumped in with other small school grads and specifically with the other "grads" of that cover org. As a homeschooler he would be considered completely as an individual.

This was the feedback from one school to her. She ended up resubmitting his transcript just as an independent homeschooler. (And in the end, he was not admitted. It was for a pretty competitive program, so that may not reflect anything on the homeschooling aspect.)

A couple questions do spring to mind. One is if there is any kind of a profile submitted by the cover orgs to colleges. A profile would give some context to the students by discussing things like SAT scores, AP course and exam percentages and % attending 2 yr and 4 yr colleges.

The other thing I wonder is if there will be a difficulty a couple decades from now with graduated homeschoolers no longer being able to secure official copies of their cover org transcripts because the organization no longer exists. Probably not an issue with something like a school or distance education company that has been around for several decades. But it might be an issue with a group that is essentially a sole proprietorship that might not outlive the retirement of the founder.

As I mentioned on the other recent thread, I have one data point of a friend being told last year (2010-11) that her son's app would be looked at more favorably as a homeschooler than with the official transcript from the cover organization she used for transcript services.

I can only suspect that was because with the "official" transcript, he would be lumped in with other small school grads and specifically with the other "grads" of that cover org. As a homeschooler he would be considered completely as an individual.

This was the feedback from one school to her. She ended up resubmitting his transcript just as an independent homeschooler. (And in the end, he was not admitted. It was for a pretty competitive program, so that may not reflect anything on the homeschooling aspect.)

A couple questions do spring to mind. One is if there is any kind of a profile submitted by the cover orgs to colleges. A profile would give some context to the students by discussing things like SAT scores, AP course and exam percentages and % attending 2 yr and 4 yr colleges.

The other thing I wonder is if there will be a difficulty a couple decades from now with graduated homeschoolers no longer being able to secure official copies of their cover org transcripts because the organization no longer exists. Probably not an issue with something like a school or distance education company that has been around for several decades. But it might be an issue with a group that is essentially a sole proprietorship that might not outlive the retirement of the founder.

Thanks for posting this here, because I missed it in the other thread. May I ask what kind of "cover organization" she was using? Was it an accredited school? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the part I bolded above. (Sorry if I'm being dense!)