Menu

Local IV sedation vs. general anesthesia?

They do the same thing, but IV sedation is not as deep as general. General is used for invasive type surgery and requires a breathing tube & machine, whereas IV sedation does not. Either way you will simply fall asleep and wake up done with no memory of the procedure itself. No muss, no fuss :)

ETA: Oh and recovery time is less and the effects less severe (nausea, dizziness, etc)

Edited by Venia

I believe you're not totally unconscious but sedated enough to be asleep-you wouldn't be incubated like you would for general anesthesia. I had IV sedation when I had my wisdom teeth out and don't remember a thing so try not to worry! (for what it's worth I was pretty loopy for a bit afterwards, might want to prep whoever is going with you for that!)

I believe you're not totally unconscious but sedated enough to be asleep-you wouldn't be incubated like you would for general anesthesia. I had IV sedation when I had my wisdom teeth out and don't remember a thing so try not to worry! (for what it's worth I was pretty loopy for a bit afterwards, might want to prep whoever is going with you for that!)

:iagree: It was great. The last thing I heard was, "You'll feel sleepy in a minute." I sort of remember dh taking me to the car afterward. I was sleepy for an hour or so afterward. You will need someone to drive you home. :)

Incubation is a whole nother deal...if you are sitting on eggs after surgery we are all going to be really concerned.:lol:

Well, if I'm rather loopy, I guess this would be a possibility. Having something humorous after this surgery would be a good thing!! :tongue_smilie: I'm a nervous wreck and it's 6 days away.

Their policy is to have someone waiting in the office so I'm not worried about being alone. However, I think they may have to sedate me just to get me past the door! Oh my! I'm going to stop thinking about this now. I'm going to play a video game with ds15.

:grouphug: A year and a half ago I had to have a tooth extracted. I am exactly like you about the dentist. They did IV sedation. They also did laughing gas for me till they got the sedation set up and ready to go. I remember thinking that they were crazy if laughing gas was going to calm me down, but surprisingly, I was calmer within minutes and by the time he got to the IV I was out in no time. Whatever my dentist did, I woke up with minimal grogginess and no nausea (and I have a tough time with nausea and sedation). I did sleep a lot the rest of the day but it was probably the combination of wearing myself out before I got there, the sedation, and the sleepless nights I had with the abscessed tooth. :glare:

Because mine was unexpected, I didn't have a lot of time to think it over. But I wouldn't think it unreasonable to call the dentist (or doc) and see if there is something they can give you for the anxiety over the next few days.

I use to work as a surgical assistant in an oral surgery office. When you "go to sleep" for tooth extraction its not the same as "going to "sleep" in a hospital. IV sedation, you will go to sleep, you will have no memory of the procedure, and you will wake up with no side effects such as sore throat, nausea, vomiting, and you wont be in and out of sleep for most of the day like general. With IV sedation, you will not remember, but if the doctor askes you to do something such as open your mouth or put your head back, you will follow commands. under general, you will be intubated, and will require an anesthesiologist to monitor your breathing. Its a longer recovery time. You will do great with IV sedation. Good luck!!

He had Versed, which I think is less "sleepy" than the IV sedation, and I was in the room the whole time. He was completely unaware of what was going on, but able to follow instructions -- so he could open his mouth for them, or stick his tongue out, or whatever they needed, but ten minutes into the procedure he asked when they were going to start!

I had some kind of IV sedation for getting my wisdom teeth out and I don't remember a thing. It was my favorite dental experience. :tongue_smilie:

that's probably local AND IV sedation. So the IV will make you sleep, and then they inject a local so it doesn't hurt for a while. That is what I had for my wisdom teeth. You wake up faster and can go home shortly after. I slept through the whole thing. You just are not as deep and are not intubated or on a respirator.

Oh and they gave me laughing gas before putting the IV in, so that made it even better.

Thanks ladies. I think I do remember the doctor telling me that she was going to do something to help me relax before the procedure. She also said she would use a shot of some sort to make it still feel numb for a few hours after the procedure. And I know she said she was going to give me pain pills as well, but I don't know what medication it will be. I'm the biggest baby when it comes to mouth pain. I am definitely stressed about the actual procedure but I'm even more stressed at the things I will experience for days after. As long as it doesn't bleed profusely and I don't feel major pain, I'll be okay.