Menu

Is it too soon? What are you planning for your rising 9th grader?

Please stand by...I am currently copying down everyone's responses, so that I can copy you all. I'm sure it will be quite an amazing plan when I'm finished. :D

:lol: :lol:

I am enjoying these, I've had to restrain myself from looking at several things. One look can't hurt, right?

Please stand by...I am currently copying down everyone's responses, so that I can copy you all. I'm sure it will be quite an amazing plan when I'm finished. :D

:lol: I printed off about a dozen of these posts this weekend and MrTea and I worked our way through other's plans, subject by subject, looking to pilfer.

Edited by BridgeTea
spelling

I thought dd was going to high school so I have done very little planning. Right now the plan is

CC Challenge (I need to see how this will work out for credits but at most it will be 5 so we will need to add)

TT Algebra

I'm looking for some ideas on electives. I need a 1 credit Fine Arts. Dd hates anything I've suggested. She is allowed to participate in a private school's musical each year and thinks that should count but I told her that is just extracurricular. She doesn't like anything art/drawing related. I suggested a photography class which she didn't like either. She also needs things like a 1/2 credit Health class. I told her she should get it out of the way but she hated Health when she attended PS and would prefer to not have to take that. I told her it's a requirement for graduation unfortunately.

Dd seems so uninterested in any of it right now but says she is definitely doing CC Challenge but I've told her that is not going to be quite enough. I think I need to lay out exactly what she needs and then have her come up with a plan and dh and I can make suggestions on it.

I'm looking for some ideas on electives. I need a 1 credit Fine Arts. Dd hates anything I've suggested. She is allowed to participate in a private school's musical each year and thinks that should count but I told her that is just extracurricular. She doesn't like anything art/drawing related. I suggested a photography class which she didn't like either. She also needs things like a 1/2 credit Health class. I told her she should get it out of the way but she hated Health when she attended PS and would prefer to not have to take that. I told her it's a requirement for graduation unfortunately.

I've considered breaking ds's fine art credit into 2-3 classes, 1/2 to 1/3 of a credit each. I'm going to require drawing as part, put then maybe a history of... as another.

Some options you could consider:

art history (specific period or region)

calligraphy or illuminating

film studies

music appreciation

Here's a link with college fine arts, this could give her an idea. http://cos.gmu.edu/academics/reqs/finearts

You could create a fine arts credit around one of the Great Courses Lectures. http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/CoursesByCategory.aspx?ps=904

Someone please, please tell me if this looks ok. I've been homeschooling for nine years, but this is my first high schooler. Terrified!!!!

English: Grammar for Writing (Oxford),Vocab Workshop, IEW, various Lit

Social Studies: Cultural World Geography (BJU)

Bible: Apologetics

Math: TT Algebra I

Science: Apologia Biology

Foreign Language: Henle Latin I

Rhetoric: Speech & Debate

PE: Taekwondo

All of these classes are offered through our (non-accredited) umbrella school. I'm looking for an accredited cover for graduation/transcript services.

A question: What do you do with Bible credits? This school requires the Bible class and it is a full classload of work. Do most people issue a full credit for Bible each year? Or one credit for four years? ????

Oh please help

Shari, I think your schedule looks fine. Of course, I'm in the same boat. 9th grade will be our 9th year as well. I don't know about the bible though, but if a credit is earned, it's earned, imo.

I have changed course myself after reading some of these threads. I will admit to a bit of pilfering.

No! Stop that looking around! :lol::lol:

It's February, I have to second guess myself. Doing that today actually. :lol:

I did. I sat in bed sick and rethought my much loved, long ago decided science plan. I was planning on doing an integrated science over 3 years, but I think I'm going to end up modifying it. Finances are tighter than I had hoped, and getting what I want may cost more than budget allows.

I had planned on 12 weeks each of physics, chem, and biology. Now I'm learning towards 12 weeks of Earth science (college text I already own), and 24 weeks of physics, which would be finished in 10th grade with another 12 weeks of physics.

I always have at least one subject that I feel really iffy about, then I change it drastically after I thought I had made my final decisions. If that decision feels right after a few days, I stick with it. That's when I find the peace about all my choices.

Edited by elegantlion

Ds might be going to a classical prep school. Hopefully, we'll know soon. If not here's our current plan:

Geometry: CD, TT, or Jann in Texas. We'll follow up CD Algebra w/LOF Algebra this summer.

Latin: Lukeion Latin 2

Greek: Lukeion Greek 1

Rhetoric: Speech 1st semester TL 2 second (possibly w/MP).

History: Ancients with either Spielvogel, HOAW, or HO. Maybe even TOG. I'm looking forward to researching these soon. I own all but TOG.

Lit: GB to follow history. Will add in TC dvds.

Writing: WWS2, Elegant Essay.

Grammar: AG refresher

Vocab: MCT or VfCR

Science: I'd prefer to do Geology/Astronomy and save Biology for CC. Neither of us really wants to dissect anything. Yuck. I do have Miller/Levine, so I'll check that out.

Religion: We're going to start the T3 Great Bible Adventure and finish over the summer. He might take a class w/seminarians, in which case, we'll probably drop Greek.

Extras: fencing, jui jitsu, and piano. Not sure if he can fit all three in. We will have to give up swim lessons during the day.

If he is home, I think we're both in for a whole lot of work. However, he'll have it easier at home than at the high school from what I've been told. I wouldn't mind having the opportunity to concentrate on my younger two.

Laura

Edited by lauracolumbus

Christine,

Just curious.... why did you switch from Science Shepherd to Apologia?

We had a "tutor" who decided to cancel her class, not a curriculum I would choose since science isn't one of my favorites and I was afraid I'd get stuck if she needed help...switch to Apologia which I feel my DD can do independently and I can understand it.

This is still a huge work in progress. I hope to be a bit wiser after attending a high school planning workshop on Saturday. Right now, I seriously am completely stressed out! :ack2: I think I need to take a vacation, in Hawaii, all alone, enjoying the sun, the beach and AN UMBRELLA DRINK!:D

Math

EPGY Intermediate Algebra, Lial Intermediate Algebra; H

Science

Miller-Levine with their labs; H

or

Apologia Biology starting in March and through the summer with labs and Apologia Advanced Biology with labs during the schoolyear '12-'13 at local co-op for H

I love the co-op idea but do not like the religious biology text. Sigh

Foreign Language

Spanish, local co-op

Maybe we will continue Latin with Wheelock. (online class) Latin Alive is not exactly a great hit this year.

Composition

Lit and composition class at local co-op

or

EPGY; H

or

Elegant Essay and responding to literature with program mentioned below

Literature

EPGY (lit and composition combined); H

or

Excellence in Literature, probably H

Vocabulary

Vocabulary from the Classical Roots

Grammar

Last part of Analytical Grammar

History

I have no clue!:confused: Dd does not like history. So we will probably decide on a textbook and get it over with. Any recommendations?

She used to love it when she was little. That is when we combined literature with Story of the World and did lots of projects. That is also when I put in a lot of time and effort in planning history.

Photogrpahy

Digital photography and photo shop

Still looking into finding a great book about history/art

Course will be spread out over several years.

P.E.

scuba diving

plain old exercise

hiking and backpacking (once/month in prep for miler in summer)

Like I said, I am not nearly there yet! I sure hope this becomes easier with the next kid, and the next, and the next, and the next. Oh wait, I only have 2! Sometimes it seems like 5, honestly.

Planning done? Accepting reality of teen and high school? :willy_nilly:... in progress...maybe...sorta...maybe not...is it the weekend yet?

Algebra 2 = Saxon with Art Reed DVD

Biology=Miller and Levine - labs outsourced (she plans to do Advanced Biology in 11th grade using Campell and Reece and wants to do labs again with it...)

Chemistry Raymond Chang and Zumdahl texts - labs outsourced

Spanish 2 = Rosetta Stone and lots of written work + reading

World History = Western Civilization Spielvogel plus assorted Teaching Company lectures and miscellaneous books for Asian and Central/South America survey

World Literature = Assorted Anthologies, WEM, How to Read a Book Like a Profesor by Thomas C. Foster (focus this year reading, next year written analysis)

Composition course = outsourced --supplemented with various

Latin - Easing into it with William Linny to go into Wheelock's later

**Had planned to begin with Physics, but as it turned out she covered a great deal of it and decided to wait till 10th when math skills catch up for further exploration

Arts and Extracurriculars ---plate too full

Religion: We're going to start the T3 Great Bible Adventure and finish over the summer.

Laura,

We used this several years ago in our hs group's monthly class for teens. Everyone loved it, and my son remembers a lot from it. We still have the fold-out Bible Timeline in our Bible. To go with this, we took the "reading plan" from the course manual and followed the reading schedule, about 5 - 10 min/school day, over the course of the school year. We really got an appreciation for the "flow" of the Bible story from the course and these readings. We've also used Ascension's other courses on the Gospel of Matthew, the Acts of the Apostles, and the Book of Revelation. All were fantastic.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Well, today's plan...that will be replaced by tomorrow's plan :D... is as follows:

Worldview: Starting Points with IEW Supplement

History/Bible/Literature: SL 100 and additional reading selections from WTM history list

Additional Literature: WTM 9th grade lit list

Geography: homespun and amazing ;)

Grammar: AG with additional practice book

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise

Foreign Language: Latin for Children B (Why? Because the girls LOVE it.)

Math: LOF Algebra with additional practice problems text

Science: Biology from Queen's Homeschool (Why? Because my dd helped write it, and she is awesome and handy if we have questions!)

Elective of choice: Home Ec, source yet to be determined, possibly parts of Far Above Rubies or Christian Light

Fine Arts: Artistic Pursuits or Meet the Great Composers

PSAT Practice Guide as time allows

Logic: If there is any time, we'll use Art of Argument

There now, it seems more official just to write it all down! I'm sure the tweaking will begin as soon as I post. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Blueridge

Laura,

We used this several years ago in our hs group's monthly class for teens. Everyone loved it, and my son remembers a lot from it. We still have the fold-out Bible Timeline in our Bible. To go with this, we took the "reading plan" from the course manual and followed the reading schedule, about 5 - 10 min/school day, over the course of the school year. We really got an appreciation for the "flow" of the Bible story from the course and these readings. We've also used Ascension's other courses on the Gospel of Matthew, the Acts of the Apostles, and the Book of Revelation. All were fantastic.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Brenda,

Thanks for the feedback and idea to consider doing this w/a co-op. I hadn't thought of that. Our parish sometimes uses this with our teen group, but we have difficulty making it b/c of sports. I think this would be ideal in a group of setting. I started the adult series (and even bought the cds), but can't seem to find the time to make it work.

Laura

Math

TT Algebra 2

Patty Paper Geometry

Science

Apologia Biology

Intense stream and pond studies (summer)

Literature

TOG y1 R lit + Windows to the World

English Composition & GUM

1/2 of TOG level 9 writing assignments

High School Essay Intensive + weekly timed essays from TOG evaluations R quizzes

Fix-It!

Our Mother Tongue

Megawords 6 & 7

History & Geography

TOG y1 R

A few assignments from Mapping the World with Art

Bible Survey

TOG y1 R

Latin II

Latin Alive! 2

Study Skills

How to Be a Superstar Student (summer)

Stobaugh SAT Prep Course (following y1 of 3-yr plan)

SAT Verbal Preparatory Cards

Intro to Rhetoric

The Argument Builder

Fine Arts

Photography (a mom-built course I'll teach to a group of students)

OK, I'm exhausted just typing this. I think it's too much. Now, what can I cut or delay? :confused:

Here's the plan for my son:

Math: Saxon Algebra 2

Science: Apologia Biology w/DIVE CD

History: U.S. History w/Sonlight Core 100

English/Literature:

Sonlight Core 100 reading and writing assignments (1 per week)

Vocabulary - Barron's 1100 Words (2nd half)

Grammar Review -- Guffey's Business English (college work text)

Writing -- Additional assignments from Wordsmith Craftsman and/or Jensen's Format Writing (2nd half)

Language:

Latin 2 at our co-op

Japanese - Irasshai year 2

ELECTIVES:

Bible -- Sonlight Core 100

Drama -- done at co-op

9th grade plans are in the air here too. I cannot believe it. Silly kids growing up way too quickly!!

Tentatively what is on the plate at the moment:

Geometry -- Jacobs(?)

English -- grammar R&S 9, Vocab from Classical Roots (C-E)

Writing -- WWS -continue and use WTM ideas across all areas studied (?)

Literature -- I have Windows to the World and Teaching the Classics and plan to follow the history cycle using Great Books Ancients

History -- SWB's Ancient World and ???

Biology -- I have Exploring the Way Life Works: The Science of Biology (Mahlon Hoagland, Bert Dodson, Judy Hauck) and

Biology: Concepts and Connections (Campbell, Mitchell, Reece)

I need to make it into something though

Latin -- MP's Third Form

Once I get these nailed down, I'll consider electives.

Biology -- I have Exploring the Way Life Works: The Science of Biology (Mahlon Hoagland, Bert Dodson, Judy Hauck) and

Biology: Concepts and Connections (Campbell, Mitchell, Reece)

I need to make it into something though

L

Here's a great option for biology, have you seen it? It uses the above books as a spine. http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/biology-hs-level/