Menu

At what age is reading the Chronicles of Narnia most enjoyed/appropriate?

My 9 yr old avid reader enhaled the whole series in less than 3 weeks this year. She is a big reader, and that has been her favorite series of books ever in her entire life. Her entire imaginative life revolves around Narnia now it seems. I don't know if this is the "perfect" age to read them, but it was for her.

Wellll...

It is one of those allegorical series that you can come back to, over and over again, and read at different levels.

And it depends on your kids, too--some 4s are ready, in a way, for LWW, but that would be an advanced listener who still won't catch every detail and won't get the majority of the allegorical stuff.

I think around second or third grade can handle the basic plot well, and the vocab is probably something they can get. Omnibus uses them for 7th grade and goes into the Christian allegory. I know some adults who come to them for the first time and love them! LOL

Further, some of them are a little "older." The Last Battle, for example, is a good one to save until late elementary/middle school, I think.

Ymmv!

Hi, my 9 yro and 10 yro are reading through the Narnia series in the evening. We're using this to discuss it: http://www.amazon.com/Roar-Christian-Family-Chronicles-Narnia/dp/1590525361/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328622947&sr=8-1

I gotta get off the computer - they're swinging from the chandeliers...but, my kids LOVE the Roar! book. We read through ROAR! together and discuss everything before they go to bed.

My dad started reading them to me when I was 5, and I still have strong memories of that first time through. Sure, I missed a lot! There was a lot that I didn't even know I didn't understand. :) But that doesn't mean it wasn't worthwhile. ... And reading them aloud with my kids or listening to the audiobooks, I still enjoy them and there are things I think about reading through them now that I didn't before.

I don't think there's a single "perfect" age. And that's completely okay. They're wonderful books to re-read from time to time.

I am reading LWW to my 5, 7, and 9 year old. They all listen intently. I am sure my 5 yr. is missing quite a bit, but he still enjoys it and asks questions. I think around age 7 is best. I must say that it is my 9 year old that is completely caught up in it. She finds every opportunity to ask me to read more. I think it bothers her that she can't just read ahead. I will probably have her read some of the other books on her own.

Our whole family is listening to them in the car. My youngest is 8 and my husband is 44 and we are all loving them. My 20yo can quote them she has read them so many times. I read them when I was 12, but I don't remember them, so this is like the first time. I say try them and if your child doesn't get hooked, wait awhile and try them again.

Joy

My DS devoured the entire series when he was 8. He's 9.5 now and has re-read them several times since.

DD is 7 and she's read LWW and said she liked it, but she's not begging for the rest of the books yet like DS was. I think she'll want to read them all by the time she's 8 or 9.

I read the entire series before giving them to DS, and loved them myself.