Menu

Ideas for lit. analysis of short stories; other resources; and best short stories??

Looks like we'll be doing 20th century history next year (9th and 10th grades), and I'd like to match up our literature -- BUT -- throughout the year I want to have some "breaks" from the very depressing worldview of some of those 20th century classic works by adding in some science fiction and some short stories.

So... I'm looking now at what are the best "must read" short stories or short story authors -- and I'm esp. looking for ideas for studying short stories and literary analysis of short stories. I searched, but couldn't find, a thread from awhile back, where someone was looking into doing short stories, or was asking about a program that covered short stories...

Any and all ideas very welcome! Thanks so much in advance! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Ds took a short story class with Bravewriter several years ago taught by Jon Bogart (who apparently did his thesis or dissertation on the short story). Anyway, they used Great American Short Stories from Hawthorne to Hemingway published by B&N (ISBN 1593083386).

I just pulled it out the other day to add some short stories to my 15- and 13-year-old's summer reading list. It has two excellent essays on the short story: "Review of 'Twice-Told-Tales'" by Poe and "The Philosophy of the Short Story" by Brander Matthews.

The short stories that ds read in the class included:

Young Goodman Brown, Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Cask of Amontillado, Edgar Allen Poe

The Yellow Wall-Paper, harlotte Perkins Gilman

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, Ambrose Pierce

The Gift of the Magi, O.Henry

To Build a Fire, Jack London

Ds says his favorite was "The Most Dangerous Game" which is not in the book. And I have to recommend one of my favorites from the book: "The Ransom of Red Chief" -- a hilarious account of the kidnapping of a freckled young boy.

I don't know if Bravewriter still offers the class, but it was a great introduction into lit analysis for ds. He loved the stories, Professor Bogart did a great job with moderating the class.

HTH,

Lisa

oh! Oh! I know! I know!

We are using 50 Great Short Stories, edited by Martin Crane. We are using a companion volume called Teaching the 50 Great Short Stories. It's GREAT!

I am picking 25 of the stories and we are going over them this summer, about 2 or 3 a week. The Teaching...book contains vocab, comprehension questions, a writing assignment, and sometimes a short quiz (T/F or short answer) or a group activity. We are just doing the vocab and discussing the stories, and maybe doing a few of the short papers (sometimes paragraphs, sometimes a little more).

The authors of the stories range from O.Henry to Poe to Jackson. They are not all American.

It's been really fun!!!

My rising 10th grade ds will be doing 20th Century History. We are going to use Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound and Sense for short stories, poetry and drama. (I think the newest edition is the 9th? I was able to pick up a pristine 8th edition for $10 from Amazon Marketplace - note that this is different from just Perrine's Sound and Sense, which does just poetry.) I like that this book discusses writing about literature and breaks down analysis in a way that is accessible to the student. It also has discussion questions and writing suggestions. I doubt we will get through the whole book, so we will pick and choose, and will probably not do any plays this year.

We will also add in a monthly selection from Kathryn Stout's Movies as Literature, just for fun.

I'm really curious to know what are you using for 20th Century History. Would you mind sharing? We're using Visual History of the 20th Century along with a mess of other resources and trying to put together something TRISM-like (this from someone who has not used TRISMs, but that's the closest to what I'm doing, I think).

Peace,

Maura

oh! Oh! I know! I know!

We are using 50 Great Short Stories, edited by Martin Crane. We are using a companion volume called Teaching the 50 Great Short Stories. It's GREAT!

I am picking 25 of the stories and we are going over them this summer, about 2 or 3 a week. The Teaching...book contains vocab, comprehension questions, a writing assignment, and sometimes a short quiz (T/F or short answer) or a group activity. We are just doing the vocab and discussing the stories, and maybe doing a few of the short papers (sometimes paragraphs, sometimes a little more).

The authors of the stories range from O.Henry to Poe to Jackson. They are not all American.

It's been really fun!!!

This is a great book-- also be sure to check out their "150 Great Short Stories," which is also well done. Here is the link to see what stories are covered. Walch Publishing has various books here to consider...

http://www.walch.com/samples/014977.pdf

Ladies, you are all so awesome! This is such a great list of resources from you all! I can't thank you enough! : ) Now, if I just teach nothing but short stories for the next 5 years, we *might* get to use ALL these wonderful resources... LOL! Now comes the tough part -- narrowing it down! Thanks again ladies -- you are all jewels! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I thought I would post these books since you were asking for short story and these guides contain Literary elements analysis for 4 short stories each.

• The Story Teller (Saki)
  • Rikki-tikki-tavi (Kipling)
  • The Ransom Red Chief (O.Henry)
  • The Adventure of the Speckled Band (Doyle)
  • The Monkey's Paw (Jacobs)
  • The Phantom Coach (Edwards)
  • The Signalman (Dickens)
  • The Cask of Amontillado (Poe)

Each short story has info about the author, historical back ground, and other information pertinent to the short story, introducing literary elements, story discussion, enrichment activities, advanced enrichment activities, black line masters one or two each for; vocab, comprehension, and lit elements and test on each area.

Lit element covered and discussed for The Story Teller by Saki are;

• setting
  • metaphor
  • point of view
  • oxymoron
  • irony and the type of irony
  • satire
  • stereotype
  • characterization
  • suspense and climax

Good point is the two books are only $6. and the ify part is they were written for gifted middle school kids. Here is the link to the books, http://www.goodyearbooks.com/productdetails.CFM?PC=451

http://www.goodyearbooks.com/productdetails.CFM?PC=452

Classic Middle School Literature: Adventure Study Units Which also has a unit for Call of the Wild (London)

Classic Middle School Literature: Mystery Study Units

I am using these with my 9th grader along with other high school lit and English curriculum. I am using these because of the short story work and we are doing the unit on Call of the Wild. This is our first venture in to lit analysis but so far I have been please. I found all of the short stories on line for free and made copies of the black line masters that I wanted to use. Used my white board for teaching the elements, analysis of the story and discussing of vocab words, ect.... These books are by no means the heart of our program. Thought I would share since you were looking for short story resources.

You can see samples at CBD just key in the ISB numder 0673363880 (for the adventure book) http://www.christianbook.com

Blessings,

Rebecca

I looked at the sample pages of the lit. guides at cbd.com, and as they are for middle school they will be too young and general for us (9th and 10th grades next year). However, I really appreciated the list of short stories, and jotted those down, as those look very interesting and do-able! Thanks so much for the specific titles! Warmest regards, Lori D.