Menu

best homeschool app for Kindle Fire

happycc

best homeschool apps for Kindle Fire?

Would like free if possible?

Also what books would be worth downloading for Kindle Fire?

We currently have the Nook Color and have used it with our older son for over a year. Like the Kindle Fire it also runs on the Android OS. They are both Android tablets essentially. We get most of our apps from the Android Market. One app we like is GeoQuiz. But quite honestly the free books have been the best part of owning it. There are many online sources for these books. gutenberg and manybooks are great sources. We follow the Robinson Curriculum recommend book list which are free for the most part. Here is a list of them by grade level: http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com/view/rc/booklevel.htm

My kids like some of the painting programs, and I sure like that thre's less clean-up! Doesn't mean they don't paint anymore, but I have them do their preliminary ideas on the tablet and then go to town "for real." :)

My kids also enjoy Kids Math Tetris and My Personal Memory Trainer. For pure games that are teaching some things under the covers, I do like Where's My Water?

Bumping. :) We already have two regular Kindles, and now we have a Kindle Fire that I didn't want and can't be returned (long story). I prefer reading books on the e-ink screen, and browsing the web on my laptop, so I guess my main use for the Fire, if we keep it, would be the apps.

But... I don't really like apps. I'm a bit of a Luddite on the subject. Even the name makes my flesh creep. And "Android" reminds me of Marvin, which is even more depressing. ;)

So I'm trying to figure out whether or not the Fire can be of some practical use for homeschooling. Because I can't see myself using it for pleasure. :tongue_smilie:

My daughter downloaded a free drawing app today. She was really enjoying, and she is not normally and artistic type of kid. She also has a geoquiz app that she really likes. Oh, and while it isn't free, there is an app for a modified version of the Oregon Trail game. It's really fun!

Not free, but ezPDF lets you annotate PDFs freehand (ie, take your finger and draw, circle, write, whatever). The app is $2.99, so not expensive.

Not homeschool related, but my 2 year old loves playing Fruit Ninjas while sitting on the potty (he's recently potty trained), and all the kids love playing X-Construct - where you use a certain number of girders to build a bridge for a train to cross, and the people in the train scream if your bridge doesn't hold. Of course, 99% of the time, the bridge is very poorly built because of that scream. :lol: Oh, and you can't forget Angry Birds! Um... that teaches physics maybe? :D

• 1 month later...

Both of my boys have Kindle Fire's and love them. We haven't found a whole lot of educational apps yet, mostly what has already been mentioned. But I did subscriber to Amazon Prime so they can watch tons of free movies and children's episodes. Also, this week they just released a bunch of stuff from Discovery so the boys will be able to watch more educational tv. They love watching How It's Made. My biggest thing I have found is the ezpdf like mentioned earlier. I can send them work in a pdf file and they open it up, answer the questions, and send it back to me. They think math is so much more fun this way. ;)

But... I don't really like apps. I'm a bit of a Luddite on the subject. Even the name makes my flesh creep. And "Android" reminds me of Marvin, which is even more depressing. ;)
i don't have anything to add since I don't even own Kindle Fire, but this above made me laugh out loud. :lol: My husband loves his Droid and makes all sorts of jokes about my iPhone. Now, sweet revenge! Marvin, depressed droid! Brilliant!

hi guys,

if you people who have kindle fire or nook tablet could check for me if time4learning.net could run on it smoothly?I have to decide between those 2 so do me a favour pls.

Is one able to watch online youtube videos ,and able to open pdf's on it ?

pls. reply me clearly...............

Not homeschool related really, but if you are on FB, make sure to "like" Pixel of Ink (and also Inspired Reads if you like Christian fiction). They will post links to FREE Kindle books each day. I've read TONS of free books. Also, Words with Friends is a great app (Scrabble). We don't have a ton of educational apps on here b/c they are mostly on my iPod touch and we just got our Kindle. BUT, my kids LOVE it.