Menu

CLE Math or Math Mammoth

calledtobehome

I can't decide which math curriculum I would like to switch my 2nd and 3rd graders to. Right now they are both finishing up Alpha and it was a bomb! They seem to like the blocks especially to play with but I think the lessons are to slow for them. I really need to catch my 3rd grader up in his math. He seems to forget what he has learned at times! For example in his word problem yesterday it had the number 400 and he kept telling me the number was 4000? Any Suggetions? CLE or Math Mammoth?

I use both:D. CLE is great if you are concerned about gaps in their knowledge and want something that reviews often and spirals. I like the independent nature of CLE. MM is geared toward independence, but my 2nd grader can not yet do MM on his own. MM is mastery and more mental math, Asian math based. I really believe in the MM system and suggest watching some of the authors YouTube videos. I don't think you go wrong with either program it just depends on your kids and what your math goals are. I wanted my kids to see math from various angles and wanted them to see the connections and options of various methods. The combo of CLE and MM will do this!

On a side note, MM alone caused my ds anxiety over the format. After building his confidence with CLE, he now loves to tackle the different formats. CLE built his confidence because of the spiraling of topics. He always knew "something" in each lesson and realized math could be fun! We stayed away from speed drills for several months because of his math anxiety and now they are his favorite part of CLE! His math facts knowledge allows for "discovery connections" in his MM text and now I have a math lover:D, just like his mama!

I use both:D. CLE is great if you are concerned about gaps in their knowledge and want something that reviews often and spirals. I like the independent nature of CLE. MM is geared toward independence, but my 2nd grader can not yet do MM on his own. MM is mastery and more mental math, Asian math based. I really believe in the MM system and suggest watching some of the authors YouTube videos. I don't think you go wrong with either program it just depends on your kids and what your math goals are. I wanted my kids to see math from various angles and wanted them to see the connections and options of various methods. The combo of CLE and MM will do this!

On a side note, MM alone caused my ds anxiety over the format. After building his confidence with CLE, he now loves to tackle the different formats. CLE built his confidence because of the spiraling of topics. He always knew "something" in each lesson and realized math could be fun! We stayed away from speed drills for several months because of his math anxiety and now they are his favorite part of CLE! His math facts knowledge allows for "discovery connections" in his MM text and now I have a math lover:D, just like his mama!

How do you combine the two? Do you do them both as full curriculums?

We use CLE also (love it!) but I am not enjoying trying to supplement w/all the different pieces of Singapore. It gets cumbersome and expensive, fast!

thanks!

We use CLE for DD-nearly 9 (3rd) and MM for DD7 (2nd). I love them both, but hated MM for 3rd grader. She NEEDS spiral, so CLE has helped tremendously and she has confidence again. She was the same as your son, forgetting things if she didn't touch on them often, so CLE it was. MM is wonderful. DD7 catches on quickly and applies math concepts quickly. She loves to play with numbers and twist them around (as I call it). She loves the mental aspects of it, whereas her older sister just couldn't get it after many months.

I think it depends on your kiddo. For dd11 MM worked well. She hates a spiral approach and spiral curriculum drove her batty. She needs to see all the parts and how it forma the whole right away. She is very strong in mental math. Dd8 loves CLE and hated MM. She needs the spiral, the review. She forgets things easier and gets overwhelmed by to much info at one time. The baby steps of a spiral curriculum is perfect for her. If your kiddo forgets easily they either need that review built into a spiral approach or the concepts were never cemented to begin with. Maybe try the placement test from each see how he does and which your kiddo prefers.

We use and love both! (dd is 2nd grade). We started CLE in November, and just began MM as a supplement about 3 weeks ago. I assign 1 page of MM for her to work on while I am checking her work in CLE.

So far, MM seems fairly self explanatory, though when she is done we discuss so that I know she understands the concepts.

On days that we do not get to MM, it is not a big deal, we just pick up where we left off the next time. It is working really well for us so far!

I think this is why the combo is working so well for us. Dd is a perfectionist and gets overwhelmed easily. Because we started CLE first for a few months, then started MM, we have already touched on the concepts and the MM reinforces in a different manner. Her confidence in math has risen so much. I think MM alone would cause anxiety for her but the combo and timing of topics (so far!) is great.

This review really helped me make my decision! I'm going to order both programs. My oldest sound alot like your ds. I was able to order MM 2 last night during the sale. Now I'm off to look at CLE again.

• 3 weeks later...
We use CLE for DD-nearly 9 (3rd) and MM for DD7 (2nd). I love them both, but hated MM for 3rd grader. She NEEDS spiral, so CLE has helped tremendously and she has confidence again. She was the same as your son, forgetting things if she didn't touch on them often, so CLE it was. MM is wonderful. DD7 catches on quickly and applies math concepts quickly. She loves to play with numbers and twist them around (as I call it). She loves the mental aspects of it, whereas her older sister just couldn't get it after many months.

I used Grade 1 and 2 Math Mammoth with great success, but now we are in the 3rd, and it's not sticking. We go to a new chapter, and we're starting from scratch. Her confidence is suffering. We have put MM away for now. She is using Timez Attack right now while we wait for CLE to arrive. She never memorized her facts with math mammoth. We're seeing it in the Timez Attack. But she's getting over being wrong and starting to memorize it. She knows how to calculate, but she counts it. Now she's memorizing.

I'm a little sad MM isn't working for her. But to reteach everything every chapter... it's too hard on her. Hopefully, CLE will build her confidence back because she is 'mathy' but some where something didn't work and I missed it.

Edited by mommy4ever

I can't comment on MM but CLE has been a lifesaver in our house after years of searching for a math program.

:iagree:

I would do both if it is not too expensive for you. I prefer CLE & Singapore because my dc did not like the crowded exercises in MM. It is possible to do both if you skip some extra exercises of the same type from CLE . For my accelerated ds, I also skip the quizzes .

I switched from a mastery program to CLE when dd was in 3rd but working a year ahead in math. She never had any problems grasping math conceptually, but we reached a point when it was important to cement her math facts and increase her speed in them so that she could go where her math mind would take her without being slowed down. We have stuck with it because she likes it. Many people say it has too much review and would be torturous for "mathy" or gifted kids, but that hasn't been the case here. She understands that some things, like math and music, take lots of practice regardless of your talent.

Edited by Dawn E

Every child is going to be different, but this is what I do for ds. I use CLE behind his current level so he finds it quick and painless. He is solidifying his math facts and is gently exposed to other math concepts, like fractions or time. We don't do all the problems in each lesson and often do 2 lessons a day because again, I use it behind his conceptual knowledge. We do MM on the whiteboard and I use it to teach new conceptual topics. Then we slowly work through the MM lessons once or twice a week. I am amazed at how well the combination is working. If ds starts to get overwhelmed by a MM conceptual or abstract lesson, We break for a week or two and only use CLE. When we revisit MM, lightbulbs go on and he is excited to see the connections. I have worked to roughly lineup some topics and for this year (2nd), I am doing MM 2B first and then 2A. The progression worked better with his facts mastery. Oh, forgot to mention, we school 4 days a week!

Note: because I use CLE as a review/behind program, my ds will do 106 through 207/208 this 2nd grade year, but I've scheduled a finish of MM (we don't fill in every page). In 3rd he will start MM 3A and CLE 208. I pace according to the child and set goals accordingly. HTH!