Menu

How much will a homemade quilt cost me?

My daughter spent this past semester in Senegal, W. Africa, which she loved. She bought fabric while there, designed various skirts and tops for her sisters, and hired someone to sew them there for Christmas presents (which cost total about $2.00 per item). She brought home all of the leftover fabric, and we were talking about how special it would be to have a quilt made out of it. I thought if we could get started on this now, it could perhaps be done for her 21st birthday next fall.

However, neither I or my daughter want to actually take on this project ourselves! I have a friend who sews quilts (she does the squares and then would sew them together); she then would give it someone else who would sew the backing on, etc. We would not be looking for anything very fancy or very detailed, and of course we'd supply all the fabric. We would want just a twin size.

Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost us? I'm quite clueless about it. Am I going to get in way over my head with this idea??

It would cost up to a couple of hundred dollars but it could also cost a lot less. A lot will depend on the pattern chosen. If I were you I would start the search on etsy and talk to some of the quilters. There are several who do this. Find somebody who makes pretty quilts and start getting some bids.

I just made a queen size quilt for somebody with valances for $300.

Quilting alone can cost over $100 depending on the amount of quilting.

I know somebody wanted a T-shirt quilt once and for supplies alone it was $150 as the tee shirts needed to be lined. They ended up not pursuing it.

A twin sized quilt is 65 x 88 or larger; most quilters who do this professionally charge around 1.5 cents to 2.0 cents per square inch; just at that, at the 1.5 cents/inch rate, that's $86 for the quilting. Add in fees for the backing fabric ($10/yd, at probably 5 yards), batting (the middle layer)(not sure the fee there), thread, etc. and I would guess $150 minimum for the quilting itself (the person sewing the 3 layers together).

Add on the fees for your friend making the quilt; probably she charges by the hour, not sure what she charges but a friend of mine who quilts charges $30/hr for start-to-finish quilts. Now, that is when she puts the squares together *and* sews the layers together (ie, pieces and does the quilting) so your friend might charge less for just doing the piecing/making the squares. Still, a lot of hours can go into a quilt, depending on how simple/complex the design is. I'd assume no less than $150 to your friend making the quilt, even with you supplying the fabric.

Also, she might need to buy additional fabric to fill out the quilt &/or stabilize parts of it depending on the type of fabric, etc.

I'd guess no less than $300, but check with your friend about what her rates are and go from there.

What a great idea! And I agree with the pricing already given. In order to make a custom quilt as you describe I charge $30/ an hour and up depending on the pattern, plus supplies. For a simple pieced twin quilt I would estimate 5-6 hours for a complete quilt top. Then to quilt it all together will go for anywhere to 100-200 more. Plus you only have the material for a top. You will still need the batting and the backing. The price of cotton has increased significantly in the last two years so a good backing fabric will be anywhere from 30-60$ and up.

My daughter spent this past semester in Senegal, W. Africa, which she loved. She bought fabric while there, designed various skirts and tops for her sisters, and hired someone to sew them there for Christmas presents (which cost total about $2.00 per item). She brought home all of the leftover fabric, and we were talking about how special it would be to have a quilt made out of it. I thought if we could get started on this now, it could perhaps be done for her 21st birthday next fall.

However, neither I or my daughter want to actually take on this project ourselves! I have a friend who sews quilts (she does the squares and then would sew them together); she then would give it someone else who would sew the backing on, etc. We would not be looking for anything very fancy or very detailed, and of course we'd supply all the fabric. We would want just a twin size.

Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost us? I'm quite clueless about it. Am I going to get in way over my head with this idea??

My mom is a quilter and I have no idea how much a quilt top would be but mom sends most of her quilts to someone in OK (I think) to be quilted. A twin costs about $30 to quilt. Mom makes quilts for "Quilts of Valor", quilts sent to our servicemen coming home injured. She sends this lady quilts by the boxfull (6 or more per box). Mom would not be sending them to her if they cost $100 each. Now mom makes the top and has to sew on the binding once they come home AND you don't get a say in how it is quilted (by machine). But mom and all her quilting buddies are happy with the quilting. Mom's quilting buddies are a quilting bee (10-15 ladies) and a quilting guild (100-150 ladies). Several of them send quilts to this lady in OK.