Menu

the Potter's School - Narnia class

My son took the Narnia class last year and LOVED it. In my opinion it wasn't as "meaty" as English 3 would have been -- there was no grammar component, and the only (short) writing assignments were analyses of the Narnia books. But I have no regrets -- I didn't feel my son needed anything more for 9th-grade English. Plus, I would have had a major revolt on my hands if I *hadn't* let him take the Narnia class -- he just loves those books! :001_smile:

If you have any more questions, I can try to remember, or I can ask my son.

~Laura

My son took the Narnia class last year and LOVED it. In my opinion it wasn't as "meaty" as English 3 would have been -- there was no grammar component, and the only (short) writing assignments were analyses of the Narnia books. But I have no regrets -- I didn't feel my son needed anything more for 9th-grade English. Plus, I would have had a major revolt on my hands if I *hadn't* let him take the Narnia class -- he just loves those books! :001_smile:

If you have any more questions, I can try to remember, or I can ask my son.

~Laura

Did you continue on with TPS English classes after Narnia? What class did you do next? I wanted him to take Advanced Composition down the road and didn't know if he could go straight in without a placement test if he doesn't take English 3.

Did you continue on with TPS English classes after Narnia? What class did you do next? I wanted him to take Advanced Composition down the road and didn't know if he could go straight in without a placement test if he doesn't take English 3.

Yes, kids can go straight into Advanced Comp with -- I believe -- a B or higher in Narnia. I think they told me I might want to supplement with some grammar during the Narnia year (my son didn't need it; he's a grammar geek). He didn't do Adv Comp the following year (this year), although he was initially signed up for it (and no, he didn't need a placement test ... although actually, now that I think about it, I think he did have to do a short grammar quiz -- very picky questions about commas, in particular -- that wasn't a problem for him. I *think* it was more of a diagnostic tool, in that if he'd bombed, they would've just told him to work on grammar over the summer, not rejected him from Adv Comp -- but I'm not sure.)

He's not taking Adv Comp this year b/c his schedule got too busy, but I plan for him to take it sometime during high school -- perhaps next year.

Yes, kids can go straight into Advanced Comp with -- I believe -- a B or higher in Narnia. I think they told me I might want to supplement with some grammar during the Narnia year (my son didn't need it; he's a grammar geek). He didn't do Adv Comp the following year (this year), although he was initially signed up for it (and no, he didn't need a placement test ... although actually, now that I think about it, I think he did have to do a short grammar quiz -- very picky questions about commas, in particular -- that wasn't a problem for him. I *think* it was more of a diagnostic tool, in that if he'd bombed, they would've just told him to work on grammar over the summer, not rejected him from Adv Comp -- but I'm not sure.)

He's not taking Adv Comp this year b/c his schedule got too busy, but I plan for him to take it sometime during high school -- perhaps next year.

Thank you. That's helpful information. My older son is in English 3 this year, so I already own Analytical Grammar. It won't be difficult to supplement with it as needed.

Have you taken any other TPS English classes? If so, what did you think of them?

Have you taken any other TPS English classes? If so, what did you think of them?

My boys took Writers' Workshop and English 1 and 2. We were very pleased with all of them. My only criticism would be that there was not enough reading of WTM-type "classics," but those were easy enough to add concurrently and/or over the summer.

Guest lLeblanc

Oh my!

Potter school? Narnia class?

is this real life or it's just fantasy? Wish we had such classes when I was a kid.

I could give a lot just to get that Hogwarts letter!