Menu

What Facebook and Google are hiding from the world

Ds posted this on Facebook. It's really interesting about how the personalization of the net is keeping info from all of us by filtering what we see. My google search for topic X will turn up difference links than your google search for topic x. If I click the links from mostly liberal friends, posts by conservative friends will eventually disappear, etc.

Edited by Laurie4b1

Didn't watch the video (loads too slowly on my iPod), so I'm not sure if this was mentioned in it or not...

You can "depersonalize" your Google searches by adding "&pws=0" to the end of the Google URL in your browser after you search the standard way. Hit "enter" again after adding that suffix in order to resubmit the search and get the depersonalized results. This is helpful if you have your own blog or website, and you want to see how your site really ranks for the average user. If you search for the keywords relevant to your blog, it may very well come up on page 1 of Google in your personalized search - because Google knows you visit it all the time. However, in the depersonalized search, it might rank much lower.

It's also useful if you just want to "cast a wider net" and get search results outside of your normal fare.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has a use for depersonalizing their searches...

Edited by Dandelion
Added additional details on how to depersonalize the search

Didn't watch the video (loads too slowly on my iPod), so I'm not sure if this was mentioned in it or not...

You can "depersonalize" your Google searches by adding "&pws=0" to the end of the Google URL in your browser after you search the standard way. This is helpful if you have your own blog or website, and you want to see how your site really ranks for the average user. If you search for the keywords relevant to your blog, it may very well come up on page 1 of Google in your personalized search - because Google knows you visit it all the time. However, in the depersonalized search, it might rank much lower.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has a use for depersonalizing their searches...

That is cool to know!

Bill

you see all posts if you change to most recent first, then they are in the order posted.

However...

It you must reset it DAILY, it always reverts back to highlighted stories.

Really interesting video, thanks for posting. My dh and I are going to search for India later and see what pops up on each screen.

You can "depersonalize" your Google searches by adding "&pws=0" to the end of the Google URL in your browser after you search the standard way. Hit "enter" again after adding that suffix in order to resubmit the search and get the depersonalized results. This is helpful if you have your own blog or website, and you want to see how your site really ranks for the average user. If you search for the keywords relevant to your blog, it may very well come up on page 1 of Google in your personalized search - because Google knows you visit it all the time. However, in the depersonalized search, it might rank much lower.

It's also useful if you just want to "cast a wider net" and get search results outside of your normal fare.

hmm... That could be why WTM forum chats come up so often on my google searches.

you see all posts if you change to most recent first, then they are in the order posted.

However...

It you must reset it DAILY, it always reverts back to highlighted stories.

Really interesting video, thanks for posting. My dh and I are going to search for India later and see what pops up on each screen.

Yeah, that's annoying. My response to FB's ridiculousness has been to spend more time on G+.

When I go to google, I get a button that says "Hide personal results". That looks like a little globe. Right next to it is the "Show personal results" button (that looks like a little person).

What am I missing?

You're right! I never noticed that before - is this a fairly new option? Just saw it for the first time because I was looking for it after reading your post...

ETA: just did a quick search and found the answer... These new buttons were launched a week ago (on Jan. 11). I was wondering why I hadn't noticed them before (which still doesn't explain why I hadn't noticed them all this past week ;-) ). Here's an article on the new Google search functionality: http://google-plus.com/4465/google-search-is-googled-search-plus-your-world-with-personal-results-video/

Edited by Dandelion

You're right! I never noticed that before - is this a fairly new option? Just saw it for the first time because I was looking for it after reading your post...

I didn't notice it before today, so I do think it is new. I usually notice when something's different.

Then again, it was my kids who pointed out to me the website preview feature you get by hovering the mouse over the arrow to the right of your search results. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you! That is good to know. I had no idea that search results were personalized...well I guess a little, like local places would come up on searches sometimes, but I didn't realize it was ALL my searches. It's a little freaky to think I'm having my searches censored to reinforce all my previous notions! Talk about polarizing!

Ds posted this on Facebook. It's really interesting about how the personalization of the net is keeping info from all of us by filtering what we see. My google search for topic X will turn up difference links than your google search for topic x. If I click the links from mostly liberal friends, posts by conservative friends will eventually disappear, etc.

I've been wondering about this myself. I don't find internet searches to be nearly as helpful as say, 5 years ago. So often I end up with ads and stuff, rather than the factual stuff that I seek. Maybe because I do a lot of shopping on the internet, too? But when I google, I'm usually looking for some information, not shopping.

I don't know if I have an actual use for depersonalizing my searches, other than it has annoyed me for the past couple of years that I could TELL my searches were being personalized.

And I'm just contrary like that -- if I COULDN'T have a personalized search, then I'd want one, but since I thought I was stuck with it, then I didn't want it.

I don't have an account and I don't see them. Where on the page do they pop up? Maybe I'm just blind and missing them.

Okay, I'm signed into google, and searched to find this page which tells me how to turn off personal search. Ironically, though, I can't find the little globe they're talking about anywhere on the search page of the search I did to find this. I have the gear, but no globe. Also no little person to toggle it back on.

I DID find where to turn it off in the personal settings. But now I WANT A GLOBE!