Menu

Has anyone here simply used the WISE guide for spelling lists?

rafiki

I give my boys their lists on Monday and Tuesday, via dictation, they practice all week and we have a test on Friday. It is much nicer this way than the few words every day b/c we have 2 longer days and 3 shorter ones. :) We do a daily quiz, which I tape on a cassette for my 2nd grader and he does independently, My Wise Grammar sheets on Wed and Thurs along with any reference pages, and test on Friday. That's it.

It takes about 30 minutes for each boy on the days we dictate, but the other days are around 20 minutes. The pluses for this program are so many: my boys spell above their grade level and it teaches reading well too! :) My oldest tested at a 8th grade reading level and 4.9 spelling level and is in 2nd grade. We've been doing SWR from the beginning, daily, in this manner. Just keep plugging away at it!

I am thinking of using the Wise Guide, along with Spelling Wisdom from SCM to get my dictation lists. I already own SWR, so it wouldn't be any additional expenses. I love the idea of SWR... I've just not ben able to implement it. To me, a program shouldn't be so complicated. The closest training weekend for the program is about 3+ hours for me, and only once a year.

I love simple. And although SWR is well thought out it is not, in my opinion, simple without a learning curve for mom. As the mom of 3 boys, one of whom has special needs, I don't have the time for that learning curve.

Spelling needs to be easy. The words provided from SWR are well-researched. But the process of dictation, as explained by Charlotte Mason, is much more intuitive for me.

Who knows if this will be a good thing. I am not a natural speller, and therefore have virtually no confidence in giving my children what I do not have. I suppose if they end up lousy spellers (I pray not) they won't be any worse off than me. ;)

Darcy -

I wish you could get to a training program. Once you know how to work the program, it really is easy! It is totally pick up and go, no advance prep for me at all. It is also cost effective b/c you only need to buy a new Learning Log every year ($4.50), and use the WISE guide for all of your elementary spelling! Anyway, just needed to plug that in. :) It does take a little bit to understand it, but if you can get to a class that will give you what you need to feel confident with spelling. I'm not a natural speller either, but my boys are amazing me with how well they spell! I've learned a lot too. :)