Menu

Finish chores or start school on time?

Finish chores or start school?  

1. 1. Finish chores or start school?

• Finish chores before school even if that means starting school late
    • Start school on time even if the chores are left undone
    • My kids always finish their chores and start school in a timely manner
    • None of the above--we just go with the flow

Many mornings my kids drag at doing their chores. Some chores must be done before we can start school--like cleaning off the table after breakfast--but other things like picking up their rooms and bathroom could wait, but I don't like for them to be left undone. So what do you think? Finish chores or start school on time? (I like to start school by 8:30 so we can be done by lunch.)

Can you edit a poll? I'd like to rewrite option 3.

For our family, self-discipline is a very important character trait. Our goal is to make sure that morning chores are completed before school. I use incentives such as afternoon play & projects as a tool to make sure they keep going. With that said, different strategies work for different families! HTH:001_smile:

I would start school and do the chores after we are done. My kids usually do chores before Daddy gets home in the evening (other than cleaning up the breakfast dishes). If you want certain chores to be done before school, I would just get them up earlier the next morning to make sure (this would motivate my kids to work faster because they don't like to wake up).

I voted "none of the above" because some days, I really need their help with getting all chores done. We may be having company, or I may be behind. That said, most days I want their work started and finished on time because I leave to work for a couple of hours some afternoons. That way, they can finish chores while I am gone.

School starts here on time.

Here in order for me to function with some peace and joy...I go the extra mile to make mornings pleasant and stress free. No excuses...just get to work.:001_smile: I get too stressed out if the lessons aren't done.

You might consider changing your morning routine. Different breakfast or chores to head off any problem or stalling before it begins.

some chores are 'must do' others will wait till after school.

breakfast must be cleaned, dishes in the dish washer put away.

I'd like to have the floors vaccumed and bathrooms cleaned as well but it usually ends up waiting till after school.

I go back and forth if I decide to send her back up to make her bed.

gee... one day she will 'get it' without me reminding her to check her list. :confused:

I would start school on time. If school goes on too long, I lose them, but they don't really need to think to do chores...they just need to do them, so they can wait till later in the day if need be.

Plus for my kids, they look forward to playing after school, so having the chores waiting for after school would be incentive to get them done in a timely manner next time.

Okay, we are not "always" ready to start at 9, but more often than not. They don't get breakfast until most of their chores, cleaning their areas, and getting dressed are done, so that is a pretty good incentive. A lot of mornings the oldest three are dressed, areas cleaned and chores done by the time I get out of bed! We recently started a check list of things they need to do everyday to earn their allowance for that day. If the chores are not done by school time, they will not earn money for that day.

i would set it up to where only the most necessary chores are done before school. (like clearing off the table etc) then do school, then they have to do their chores before play time. i like to give first energy to school.

edited to add that: your kids are my kids age and i have found that they require a lot of training and initial supervision on chores. maybe try standing over them instructing them and keeping them on task for a few weeks. (but I would still have most chores after school.)

My solution. If it's just not getting done they have to wake up 15min earlier. In my home they would get it done quicker to sleep in later. there are times that you just need to evaluate situation. Illness, late night etc and work with it. Another thing that works here is setting a 15min timer everyone works together to get the last few things complete then that's it schools starts.

I've recently had to impose more discipline on myself (and by extension my dd), so I decided to devote mornings to school. That is top priority for me. So we just eat breakfast, brush teeth and hair, and get dressed, and call it good enough. Afternoons are for chores, errands, and socializing. This is just what works best for me though. If we don't do school FIRST, it has a tendency to not get done, or at least not completed.

For our family, self-discipline is a very important character trait. Our goal is to make sure that morning chores are completed before school.

This is one reason why I've tended to push them to get chores done before school. I want them to be self disciplined and do what's required of them *when* it's required of them. I really am at a loss.

I hear you, and totally understand. Looking at their ages, (youngies to me) they'll likely need more time and training. Kiss (keep it short and simple) and lead by example.

This is one reason why I've tended to push them to get chores done before school. I want them to be self disciplined and do what's required of them *when* it's required of them. I really am at a loss.

They don't get breakfast until most of their chores, cleaning their areas, and getting dressed are done, so that is a pretty good incentive.

I would *love* to be able to do this, but I have two with blood sugar issues (like their daddy) who cannot function in the morning until they have some food in their mouths.

Hmm...just had a thought. Maybe I could put a little snack in their room for them to eat as soon as they get up. That way they can get their chores done before breakfast and then after breakfast we do a quick clean of the kitchen and get right to school. Anyone done anything like this?

I don't think I ask too much of my kids, but one just can't get it done. Most chores break down to daily grooming and health with a few small tasks to keep order in the home. So, we start school by 9:00 and The One, has to do chores during her breaks and after lunch and finish her homework and she is never done. I feel like a witch, and sometimes I let her off, ok, she gets off with a lot, but it's either that or I go insane and I get mean and nasty and can't stand myself. So she gets off with a lot. She is a messy. I must go for saneness. School has to get done so at the end of my rambling, it's school and work the chores in.

I might add that "morning chores" for my dc are not really that extensive in our home. They do some before breakfast and the rest after. In all, it takes them maybe 30 minutes total in the morning (sometimes a little longer if they're dragging their feet :)). They do help pick up every afternoon and evening also. But diligence is the key for us!

i have found that they require a lot of training and initial supervision on chores. maybe try standing over them instructing them and keeping them on task for a few weeks.

I just did this with cleaning the dining room after meals. I wrote out a list of what needs to be done and we came up with a system to determine who has to vacuum. Now it is automatic without complaining. I guess I need to do the same thing with picking up their room! (Right now they are supposed to be picking up their toys in the den, but I'm hearing too much playing. I guess I should go supervise that too...)

Another thing that works here is setting a 15min timer everyone works together to get the last few things complete then that's it schools starts.

Great idea. I guess I get caught up in what I want or need to do that I don't pitch in as much as I should. I really need to model this better.

Have you tried being sure their rooms are clean before reading to them at night? Then all they have to do is get dressed and make beds before coming down in the morning- that takes no time- then breakfast. My kids know coming down without the bed made and clothing on is a wasted trip ;) so they are used to doing it fast. Everyone clears their own plate at breakfast but I usually do breakfast dishes with my 2yo once I've gotten the others started on their work. It's the only time I do dishes, so I don't mind. Our chore times are right before lunch (a quick cleanup) and 4pm (so the house is nice for the evening). We do a thorough housecleaning on Fridays. After dinner the 5yo and 7yo do dishes and wipe the counters (I wash pots and knives), and the bigger guys have bigger chores. Everyone should be sure rooms are nice when they go to get ready for bed- then stories and prayers.

That's what works for us! Amy

We recently started a check list of things they need to do everyday to earn their allowance for that day. If the chores are not done by school time, they will not earn money for that day.

Meant to say this with my earlier reply...

I love the idea of requiring them to have their chores done on time in order to get their allowance. We're new to this allowance thing, but this gives me something to think about!

I voted none-of-the-above because it really depends. Some days I know that our schoolwork is lighter so we'll keep working on the chores. Other days schoolwork needs the priority. But one thing I will say, if my kids are dawdling, I will tell them that if we have to start school late that the time is coming out of their recess time.