Menu

Why are folks giving me such a hard time about my "rapid" weight loss?

After my 3rd child, I gained a good bit of extra weight and now that I'm up for it I've started a healthier lifestyle. I'm not longer breastfeeding, and I'm eating 1600 calories a day and I've started walking an hour every morning and doing toning exercises (situps, squats, etc.) for about 20 minutes every evening. Since doing this, I've lost 5 lbs. a week and I feel better than ever. I'm not hungry. I started out weighing 220 lbs. I've been doing this new lifestyle for 9 weeks now. And, I've averaged 5 lbs a week. (It's been 6/wk twice and 4/wk a few times, but usually it's around 4.7 to 5.2 ish).

BTW, I have no health problems/conditions. I'm 34 years old and 5 ft. 9inches.

At first, the friends and family just complimented me on the losses and just said that I'd loose that rapidly in the first two weeks but then that I'd slow down to 2 a week. But, that hasn't happened. I'm still at 5/wk and they're worried and driving my batty with the comments.

What's the big deal?

Did anyone on hear sustain that rate of weight loss with any bad effects?

After my 3rd child, I gained a good bit of extra weight and now that I'm up for it I've started a healthier lifestyle. I'm not longer breastfeeding, and I'm eating 1600 calories a day and I've started walking an hour every morning and doing toning exercises (situps, squats, etc.) for about 20 minutes every evening. Since doing this, I've lost 5 lbs. a week and I feel better than ever. I'm not hungry. I started out weighing 220 lbs. I've been doing this new lifestyle for 9 weeks now. And, I've averaged 5 lbs a week. (It's been 6/wk twice and 4/wk a few times, but usually it's around 4.7 to 5.2 ish).

At first, the friends and family just complimented me on the losses and just said that I'd loose that rapidly in the first two weeks but then that I'd slow down to 2 a week. But, that hasn't happened. I'm still at 5/wk and they're worried and driving my batty with the comments.

What's the big deal?

In the past when I have lost weight that rapidly I have lost a lot of muscle along with the fat. I also have a friend who barely eats and works out for an hour every day and can't lose weight because she has literally ruined her metabolism with dieting.

You might read http://www.amazon.com/Curves-Gary-Heavin/dp/0399150617 it explains how our metabolism changes with dieting.

You seem to be doing just fine now! :D

Weight that was lost rapidly often comes back rapidly, and I've heard that it's better to maintain being overweight rather than to yo-yo. However, if you're losing the weight from healthy means, and not some sort of drug or fad diet, you probably won't have that problem.

Rapid weight loss can mess up your organs, such as your liver I've heard. I don't know why--that's just what I've heard (from when I lost weight rapidly! But mine was stress and I just stopped eating for awhile.)

Usually a person loses weight rapidly at first and then hits a plateau, where it's very hard to lose more. I would think that you'd hit that plateau before 9 weeks, but maybe not. I dunno. Your continuous rapid weight loss sounds out of the ordinary.

When I was stressed and lost weight I had a friend joke around saying, "You're not anorexic are you?!" But then she turned serious and said, "Well...you're not...right?" So people may also wonder if you've developed an eating disorder.

That's why people are sounding confused/concerned. Their concerns are valid, even if it sounds like they're misplaced in your case.

If you're losing weight from a healthy lifestyle, then rejoice at your weight loss.

Guest submarines

Sounds like you are doing great. They might be worried (thinking you are starving yourself, if you this is the only way they know) or envious. Or both.

When I lost weight with a low carb diet and exerices, while eating plenty of calories, even DH wanted me to clarify that I wasn't "dieting"--i.e. not eating enough.

First off, congrats! :)

It sounds like you're approaching this in a healthy way - nothing "radical" about your approach IMO. Next time someone gives you a hard time, maybe you can put them on the spot a bit and say something like "Why do you ask?" or "Why do you think that?". If they have a valid concern, that gives them an opening to share it with you - and if they don't, that should put an end to it. ;)

What's the big deal?

Well, your goals are pretty much my goals...but you're meeting them! So kudos to you!

I want to see a 3-5 lb loss per week, too, but I haven't been able to keep up with that. Thanks for the motivation!

Depends on the person.

Some people are saying it out of actual worry because they've been indoctrinated that ALL weight loss over 2lbs per week is dangerous. And they like you and want you to be healthy. For these people tell them you are on a medically approved plan. What you're doing is exactly what is recommended.

Other people though have a vested interest in keeping you overweight. These are people that are overweight themselves and feel bad that you're losing and they are not. Or the people that like being the thinnest person in the room. Or people that like to cook and are afraid you won't eat their food now. Or assorted other people that have made your size their business. For them, explain that you're trying to become more healthy and the weight loss is an added side effect, and that you're not a different person or anything like that. Or you could ignore them lol.

I'm jealous. I've still nursing and I'm getting antsy to get my prebaby body back.

Congratulations! It sounds like you've earned it.