Menu

Temporary crown pain?

This is my first crown, so I don't know if this is normal. I had a temporary crown placed last week due to a crack in one of my molars. Before the temp crown was placed, I had sensitivity only when I tried to chew with that tooth. The dentist saw the crack after he removed my filling. He said I didn't need a root canal- based on the pain I was describing. I was doing much better before the temporary crown was placed. Now, my tooth is sensitive all the time and I am very aware that it's got a dull ache. Does this sound normal for a temp. crown? Does it get better when they put the permanent one on? Does it sound like I need a root canal? I'm not in enough pain to call the dentist, but am starting to question what I am feeling. I am supposed to get the permanent crown tomorrow.

It does sound normal. Sorry. :grouphug:

I just went through that a few months ago. :glare:

I had residual pain (dull ache and sensitive) for several weeks after the permanent crown, as well, and was really questioning my dentist about needing a root canal. He kept insisting it was normal. The pain finally went away overnight, or so it seemed.

You probably won't really know until you've had the permanent crown for a few weeks. If the pain doesn't go away, they can always do the root canal. I have 5 crowns and only one root canal (the root canal was not a big deal at all).

I had this once because the crown wasn't lining up properly with my other teeth and resulted in what the dentist compared to a "bruise" It took several weeks for it to heal.

It could also be that too, the temp might just be sitting "high" and causing your teeth to be hitting incorrectly. They will take more time with the permanent crown to be sure it is seated right.

They really tear things up when they do a crown prep. I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least sore.

Make sure they know it's been bothering you though before they attempt to place the permanent one. I had to be numbed to have my permanent crowns placed.

I recently also got a crown for a cracked tooth.

I had the temporary one for about 2 weeks. At first, it felt great! Then it started to be a little sensitive. Then more, and I was wondering the same as you.

It seems that the temporary one works loose after a bit, and when I went to have it removed it was basically falling off, so it came off easily. That's why it gets sensitive.

Then when the permanent one went on things were much improved. Once in a while I feel a twinge, and that's all. Mostly I can forget that it's there!

I had a temporary crown put on just before Christmas. It hurt the entire 2 weeks I had it. I was forever getting food stuck under the gum, between the crown and the next tooth. I was so happy to get that thing off.

It was a very unpleasant visit to the dentist to get the permanent crown, but it is so much better. My tooth is sensitive to temperature right now, but my dentist says that will diminish. No more dull ache or food getting stuck.

I had to be numbed to have my permanent crowns placed.
I opted not to be numbed, thinking I could come home and do school. :lol:

Never.again.

:tongue_smilie:

It's not that it hurt so much - it was just that sensation of them popping off the temporary... I couldn't get rid of that feeling and felt it over and over again for days. It was awful. If you are remotely sensitive, opt for the numbing!