Menu

How long does a Rod and Staff Grammar 3 lesson take?

KIN

Oral review took us 2 minutes. Reading and discussing the lesson together took maybe 5 minutes. I never have done their classroom presentation suggestions--that would have been overkill for us. Dd would take about 10 minutes to do the assignment. She usually did every written assignment, but I often reduced the amount of writing. For example, if the assignment was to write out a sentence and insert the correct helping verb, I did not make her write the entire sentence; she just wrote the helping verb on her paper.

15-30 minutes, max. My dd tends to daydream:) I too do not have her do the whole lesson but grammar is somewhat ease for her when she can focus. I do have her do more writing because she needs the practice. Her handwriting is sloppy! I do some of the classroom presentation suggested only because my dd seems to enjoy them.

We spend 10 minutes doing oral review and going over the lesson. Ds then does the work as "independent work" and I grade it when he's finshed. It takes him about 15-20 minutes to do the work. I have him do all the exercises and problems because I think the practice in writing and using correct grammar and mechanics is important.

I usually used the quiz questions in the teacher book and then briefly went over the lesson. We did most of the exercises in the book orally using a white board--because my son does not like to write. When I did require him to do the exercises he did odd or even. I also had him do the workbook pages on his own--they are quick with minimal writing.

We spend 10 minutes doing oral review and going over the lesson. Ds then does the work as "independent work" and I grade it when he's finshed. It takes him about 15-20 minutes to do the work. I have him do all the exercises and problems because I think the practice in writing and using correct grammar and mechanics is important.

We do the oral review, I introduce the lesson and he works the required assignment. I am always at the table (our school room) for questions. Overall, the lessons are fairly short because the teacher's manual is very well planned )for Amish schools. However, there are several problems so you may skip a few or decide to do them all. Regardless, the lessons are still short. We do all of the problems and alternate days with the worksheets which are sold separately. Worksheets make for great review of the previous days lessons. HTH

I usually used the quiz questions in the teacher book and then briefly went over the lesson. We did most of the exercises in the book orally using a white board--because my son does not like to write.
This is the same as with my ds and dd. Neither of them likes going over and over stuff they already understand though, so I go over the review in the book, and only have them do the worksheets if they're stuck on something and need the extra practice.

My kids get handwriting and writing mechanics practice in other classes, so I don't have them write it all out most of the time.

I do everything orally with R&S grammar. I think at this age, I let them try to read the chapter first on their own, but then I would go back and read some of the highlighted portions again. Generally this took about 15 minutes. Sometimes we would diagram on the whiteboard which would add on another 5 minutes. If there was a worksheet involved, then that could add on another 5 to 15 minutes for the student only. I guess a lesson could take up to 30 minutes, but at this grade level, that rarely happened.