Menu

Seizure meds causing OCD/paranoia?

I know there are other moms of children who take seizure medication on this board, so I'm throwing this out there in case anyone else has had any experience with this. (And, I'm putting in a call to the neuro as soon as they open today.)

My ds is on ethosuximide for absence seizures and we've been slowly increasing to a therapeutic level. We were so happy to see the number of seizures decreasing (he had been having dozens a day) with no apparent side effects. (He had been on keppra for about a year, but it hadn't helped.)

However, since the last increase (about a week and a half ago) in the ethosuximide, ds (age 9) has become anxious about having clean hands and anxious about other things. His hands are now cracked & bleeding from being washed so much. He comes to me about 5-6 times a day and will say things like, "I went to the bathroom and then I washed my hands. Do you think it's enough?" I asked him why does he not think it might be, and he says, "I just can't convince myself."

He also comes to me several times a day and will say things like, "I think my fingernail may have scratched the leather couch. Is that okay?" Or while in a store, he says, "I think I may have bumped that thing back there and scratched it."

He seems so anxious about cleanliness/hurting things, and he was NOT like this before. Washing hands has never been a favorite past-time around here, and he wrestle-maniaed all over the leather furniture without a thought about scratching it.

Any experience? Thoughts??

My son also has epilepsy and OCD. I don't think the medication is causing the OCD in my son. My ds goes through cycles with his OCD. Sometimes he is great and other times he is obsessed with germs. The better controlled his seizures are the better his OCD is. Right now he is not obsessing at all and he is only seizing about once a month.

With that said, I would definitely call your neuro about your ds. I would want to make sure the meds weren't causing the OCD. My son had a terrible reaction to a sleep medication the neuro gave my son (I think it was Ativan?) He had horrible vivid hallucinations all night. I know meds can cause really strange episodes.

Hope you find some answers!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I know there are other moms of children who take seizure medication on this board, so I'm throwing this out there in case anyone else has had any experience with this. (And, I'm putting in a call to the neuro as soon as they open today.)

My ds is on ethosuximide for absence seizures and we've been slowly increasing to a therapeutic level. We were so happy to see the number of seizures decreasing (he had been having dozens a day) with no apparent side effects. (He had been on keppra for about a year, but it hadn't helped.)

However, since the last increase (about a week and a half ago) in the ethosuximide, ds (age 9) has become anxious about having clean hands and anxious about other things. His hands are now cracked & bleeding from being washed so much. He comes to me about 5-6 times a day and will say things like, "I went to the bathroom and then I washed my hands. Do you think it's enough?" I asked him why does he not think it might be, and he says, "I just can't convince myself."

He also comes to me several times a day and will say things like, "I think my fingernail may have scratched the leather couch. Is that okay?" Or while in a store, he says, "I think I may have bumped that thing back there and scratched it."

He seems so anxious about cleanliness/hurting things, and he was NOT like this before. Washing hands has never been a favorite past-time around here, and he wrestle-maniaed all over the leather furniture without a thought about scratching it.

Any experience? Thoughts??

No experience with seizures but your last 2 paragraphs sound like my DD when she had PANDAS. Has he had strep recently?

That type of sudden onset severe OCD sounds like PANDAS (or related infections..not all are strep related/a friend's daughter had one with a different bacteria).

I can get you information from my friend--she found doctors who specialize in this (nationwide), support, and lots of information. If it's this you want to treat as soon as possible. Outcomes are better with early treatment. Her daughter is now doing great. Just pm me and I'll provide information. I'm sure she'll help.

Unfortunately, anticonvulsants do have emotional side effects. It's pretty individual though. Keppra made me hallucinate, for example, but obviously it doesn't do that to most people. There are many different meds for seizures. Vimpat is one that is known to have very few side effects. Don't be afraid to ask your neuro to keep switching them around until you find a cocktail that both controls seizures and doesn't have extreme side effects.