What's with the ads?

Photo

Queen Language Lessons vs. Rod and Staff?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Dustybug

Dustybug

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

I use HOD which recommends R&S for LA. I have no problem with R&S, but I have been looking over the Queen Language Lessons and really like what I see. Can anyone compare the two? The biggest draw is the art appreciation, poetry, etc.

#2 chiguirre

chiguirre

RABble raiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5198 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

R&S is very rigorous and hits grammar hard. Queen's is very CM and doesn't have much grammar drill although it does touch on a lot of concepts. You could easily do a lesson of each every day at least through 4th grade because they're both short. I've used Queen's with ds and R&S with dd and we've usually doubled up both of them, so it would be easy to do one of each.

#3 Dustybug

Dustybug

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

R&S is very rigorous and hits grammar hard. Queen's is very CM and doesn't have much grammar drill although it does touch on a lot of concepts. You could easily do a lesson of each every day at least through 4th grade because they're both short. I've used Queen's with ds and R&S with dd and we've usually doubled up both of them, so it would be easy to do one of each.

Thanks for responding! I hadn't thought of doing that. Hmmm...Off to peruse the websites again.

#4 birchbark

birchbark

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1477 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

The author of HoD compares Queen's and R&S in this post, which you may be interested in if you are using HoD.

#5 Lizzie in Ma

Lizzie in Ma

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6648 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

My kids learn very differently, we did R&S for years and I loved it with the older one. The little one was a much more CM kind of kid and we did use the Queen ones for several years. Now using Intermediate Language Lessons, very similar to the Queen ones.

#6 Bloggermom

Bloggermom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

My daughter is doing Primary Language Lessons and CLE Language Arts. 1 lesson of each every day and she LOVES it!

#7 Dustybug

Dustybug

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

The author of HoD compares Queen's and R&S in this post, which you may be interested in if you are using HoD.

Thank you! I did not even think to search the HOD boards for this topic!:D

#8 smilesonly

smilesonly

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1343 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

thanks for this link. i don't use HOD, but have been reevaluating my approach to LA with 10yo ds. we are currently using ILL.

thanks, OP!

What's with the ads?