Menu

Math help needed

Desert Rat

Hi ya all,

I'm looking for a new math curriculum for my ds11. He is currently working through NEM 1 again.

A little back story.

I tried to use NEM the beginning of last year for him. He got frustrated around chapter 5 or so. We finished out the year with Life of Fred Beginning Algebra. I struggled to teach it. Math isn't my strong area by any means.

Over the summer I found a tutor for him. We started back at the beginning of NEM 1 and we've been doing great. Tutor's happy. I'm happy. Most importantly, Huck is happy. Life is good!

I wake up this morning and read on Facebook that my tutor's daughter is moving her. I don't know where. I only know that tutor's daughter wants me to help. Monday! So, I think I'm out a tutor. I think they are moving her out of state because her health is declining.

I can't teach this boy math. I can do the math he's learning but I can't teach it. So, I'm looking for a math program he can do on line or something. I would like recommendations for math curriculum for 7th-8th grade which I don't have to be responsible for teaching him.

Ugh. I already feel like I've really slowed him down by messing up last year. I felt we were getting back on track with this tutor. I had a great trade worked out. I cleaned her place in trade for tutoring once a week. I guess I'm just angry with her and her daughter for not thinking that this move would affect me. Awesome.

Thanks for reading this far. A few things....We only have one desk top computer. It doesn't have a camera which I know is required for some distance classes. We've never done an online class. I'm a little nervous about it so any information you can give about what I can expect would be much appreciated. Okay. I'm a lot nervous about it.

I guess I just need to calm down a minute, right? Maybe they are moving her somewhere in town? Right? Right?! :lol:

I can't teach this boy math. I can do the math he's learning but I can't teach it. So, I'm looking for a math program he can do on line or something. I would like recommendations for math curriculum for 7th-8th grade which I don't have to be responsible for teaching him.

Dd8 is doing NEM online via Cybershala.com. Her tutor, Rachna, works with her one-on-one for 2 hours/week. We do the homework with her -- along w/ the other math programs we do at home.

Abi loves Rachna. They have developed a great relationship over the last year. Rachna challenges Abi in a way that I didn't know was possible for this age. I'm beyond impressed -- and plan to continue through upper level math.

HTH!

Thanks, Beth! I didn't know this was a possibility. It would be perfect if we can continue with the same program he's been using. I feel like he's lost his "head start" in math. He was so far ahead at one point. I feel guilty. Sigh.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost involved? It's an issue right now.

Thanks, Beth! I didn't know this was a possibility. It would be perfect if we can continue with the same program he's been using. I feel like he's lost his "head start" in math. He was so far ahead at one point. I feel guilty. Sigh.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost involved? It's an issue right now.

The cost is $10/lesson. For a private alg tutor - in my house - I find it a bargain. Dd does lessons on Mondays & Friday mornings from 8 - 9 AM.

Request a free class w/ Rachna. You will love her. :)

ETA: She is flexible with our schedule changes (sickness, vacation, etc). You are only charged for the classes. There is no contract.

Edited by Beth in SW WA

• 1 month later...