Menu

Intro to Psychology for High School

Has anyone found or put together an Intro to Psych course for high school?

My dd would like a psych course for science next year, but the only one I've found is Oak Meadow. I'd like to know if there are any other options that anyone has found.

She's also interested in cognitive studies. Does anyone know of a high school course in that area?

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I have a Ph.D. in social psychology, for what that's worth. I'm no expert at textbook choosing, however, I do have a preference for using a text which is truly introductory of the whole field of psychology over one that emphasizes the clinical/mental health aspects at the expense of the rest of the field. So many people think that IS psychology. They are surprised to learn that physiological, social, developmental, educational, experimental, cognitive, etc., psychology exists.

I've developed a preference for an intro book by David G. Myers called simply "Psychology." I may like it because Myers is himself a social psychologist. But the book really does what I describe as my requirement in the above paragraph, it surveys the entire field. It's a plus that it's an interesting read. He's a good writer.

If you're of the Christian persuasion, you might like to take a look at Homeschool Psychology at the following link.

http://www.homeschoolpsych.com/

It's designed to articulate the world view behind a number of the most common psychological theories and "immunize" Christian homeschool students from falling prey to anti-Christian thinking in psychologist's clothing (to borrow a metaphor).

Enjoy.

We used the Myer's Psych last year and even though it is a college book it is easily done for high school. We did a chapter in the book, a chapter in the SG and a paper e/o week based upon the study guide paper topic. Quite easy to organize independently. He does an excellent job of handling the material particularly the brain and learning, imho. I looked at many psych books and did discover that this one is widely used by more "conservative" folk!

Just an fyi, we have been been told that this course is a social science course and would not qualify as a "science" in the normal science sequence for high school for state requirements but perhaps your state is different.

I have a set of the book (like new) and the SG, 7/e if you do decide on this. NOT pedaling it though!

Mary

Linda and Mary,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the Myers book is the way to go.

Mary, I haven't really been worrying too much about state requirements for graduation. I think we'll have it pretty much covered. I'm starting to look into college admissions requirements. I'm seeing that the college's that dd is most interested in require 2 years of high school science with one being lab based. Do you think that the Myer's would qualify as science under those conditions?

Also, let me know how much you want for the book and SG. I'll talk with dd and see if this is the direction she wants to go. I think it probably will be...

Regarding the psych credit as "science" for colleges, I would hesitate to say that it would be considered a science BUT ask the college(s) she is interested in to be sure. I'll PM you with the book and SG price and then you can let me know what you decide. Psych is a fun course!

Mary

That's the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. Clearly, psychology would count as one of the three social science credits required for admission.

Category

Units

Requirements

English

All units must include intensive reading and writing experiences.

Mathematics

Algebra, algebra II and geometry are required for students seeking admission, and one additional unit that builds on a knowledge of algebra.

Social Sciences

One unit drawn from American and/or world history; one additional unit drawn from history, American government and/or geography; and a third unit drawn from any social science discipline.

Natural Sciences

At least two units selected from biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences. One of the above units must include laboratory instruction.

Foreign Language

Both units must be in the same language. Students who are unable to take two years of foreign language in high school may still qualify for admission.

* Click for more information on foreign language requirements in various UNL degree programs.

That's the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. Clearly, psychology would count as one of the three social science credits required for admission.

Thanks, Linda. It looks like we won't be able to count it as a science. I just checked one of the colleges dd is interested in and psych is counted as social studies rather than science. Dd will have plenty of history/social studies so doesn't need psych as one of them. Rats! I'm going to have her do psych anyway since she's so interested in it.

Back to the drawing board on finding a science that she is interested in.