Menu

Spelling Curriculum for 6yo who is does not appear to be a natural speller

A.J. at J.A.

I've used SWO for my older son (now in 3rd grade) since 1st grade and he has done well. Apparently he is a natural speller, because my now 1st grader is having problems learning the words in SWO A. I was wondering if you could give me some other ideas on spelling curriculum that might be better for him. I have coupled SWO with some copywork of the words but that doesn't seem to be helping too much either. He is a "young" 1st grader (as in, he is half way through 1st grade but won't be 7 until May 30) so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. It seems I'm always saying, "yes, but he's 6 months behind where DS#1 was at the same time." I just can't tell if it's a developmental thing, a curriculum thing, or something else.

Thanks,

Angela

Have you considered putting it off another year? He is young and sometimes boys take longer mature enough to "get" things like spelling. My children did not start a formal spelling curriculum until 2nd grade. They started learning a few words that went along with the phonics rule the 2nd semester of 1st grade just to get them prepared for the subject.

http://www.all-about-spelling.com/order.html

this really seems to be working with my ds 7 who's not a natural with any of the language subjects. it's very hands-on and i'm learning spelling rules i never knew before!

hth

kay

When you revisit spelling again, I would encourage you to look into this program. I was having the same difficulties with my ds7. He reads beyond grade level, but his spelling was not good at all. Since switching from SWO to AAS, I have seen an improvement. I love that it is hands on and very visual. There are also elements for the auditory learner as well. :)