Menu

Alte Veste Academy--can we talk inquiry based science?

woolybear

If nothing else, start a box of random junk. Nearly every science-y project that we've ever done needed lots of random junk. :D

This is what I have decided to start with for now. I'm just adding in random bits of "stuff", some with no other home but for the garbage can. :D Things like:

*rubber bands

*paper clips

*odd wheels/axles from broken toy cars

*flat foam pieces from packing boxes

*those plastic bowls that small cups of fruit come in

*the plastic bowl and strainer from a Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers entree

*a few fishing floats (small)

*small white emergency-type candles

*Slinky

*ping-pong ball

*small straight-sided glass jars

*small box matches

*pieces of string

*old telephone wire

*leftover roll of electrical tape

*small, purse-sized mirror

*rubber bands

*paper clips

*Slinky

*ping-pong ball

*small box matches

*pieces of string

*old telephone wire

This is a great start for a generic discovery box. Off the top of my head, I would add in some aluminum foil, clothes pins, a couple of rulers, some pipe cleaners, and some plastic bags. Then just keep adding as you discover more things that are useful. Keep the generic box around all the time, and then supplement it with themed boxes.

Hi and welcome! :) Your entire post was fabulous but, just so you know, if you typed this list up, several of us would pay mucho dinero for it. Seriously, name your price.* :D

I am working on that with the Master Materials Lists for my Study Units, but I would be delighted to help with Discovery box ideas. Got a list of topics?

I am working on that with the Master Materials Lists for my Study Units, but I would be delighted to help with Discovery box ideas. Got a list of topics?

ALL of them! :lol: Seriously though...

It was supposed to be a project of mine this weekend to come up with a list of topics. I need to go through my science references to do this. You know what I would love? On top of the lists for discovery boxes? :lol: I would love for someone to design a sort of family tree type poster of science topics, something to show relationships and interrelationships between different topics. I'm not talking about the branches of science represented by a flow chart, although that would be interesting too. I'm talking about a seriously complex (messy even?) chart that takes different topics and shows how they can be part earth science and part chemistry (for example).

The question about potential discovery box topics brings up a logical problem with discovery learning and inquiry. No human, let alone child, can possibly learn everything there is to know about science through discovery. My kids, bright as they are :tongue_smilie:, can't be Galileo and Newton and Einstein, etc., etc., etc. I talk a great deal about inquiry on this board but it's not all I do because it simply can't be. I believe the inquiry process teaches valuable lessons while letting a child's naturally scientific nature continue to flourish, but parallel, more traditional coverage of science also has its place as kids move through the grades.

Love this thread, so many good ideas going!

I got Nurturing Inquiry today, so I am off to read :)

Oooh! Enjoy! Do share your thoughts as you read.

This is what I have decided to start with for now. I'm just adding in random bits of "stuff", some with no other home but for the garbage can. :D Things like:

*rubber bands

*paper clips

*Slinky

*ping-pong ball

*small box matches

*pieces of string

*old telephone wire

I'm outing myself as a complete lunatic (again) but here. :blushing:

Also, if you're soliciting opinions on what homeschoolers want in a science program, below is a cut-and-paste from another thread about what I want. There is a guy, Steve Sheinkin, who used to write textbooks and says he's redeeming himself now by writing history books for kids with the good bits left in. So, I'm wondering why he (or someone...maybe the two of you together? :D) can't do the same for science and make it like this...

I would kill for a book that flows chapter by chapter through the disciplines as naturally as they occur in reality. I envision a spiraling science program which could easily and logically lead from the Big Bang and the formation of the universe (physical science, earth and space science) to evolution (life science) to a study of fossils (earth with some archaeology and anthropology on the side?), to a study of rocks (earth science), to the periodic table (chemistry), to states of matter (physical science), to the weather cycle (earth science), to seasons and the life cycle of plants (earth then life science) to the life cycle of people and animals to blah blah blah blah blah... One topic would lead to another, each laying a solid foundation of fundamental knowledge that would maximize understanding of subsequent lessons. In other words, it should feel like a logical progression through the topics, not fragmented bits of info.

I love the ideas in this thread. Inquiry based science is much closer to real-world science than the typical demonstrations that school kids do. And I think that there are many many kids who would rather do this than the cook-book type labs that I see so often.

However, I do want to remind people that in real-world science, inquiry is only the first step. You dabble, you think, you get excited, you try a few things, you get some ideas, and possibly even form a hypothesis about what the true answer is. THEN, you start a formal study. From the hypothesis, you design an experiment that includes replication and a control. You collect data (which can take quite some time, and be boring). You analyze your results with tables, graphs, statistics. Then, you have an answer (or not) and think about what you have learned. What assumptions have you made? How does your answer compare to what others have found? Why could answers be different? What new questions have you uncovered? etc. Just like with Great Books, you enter the conversation.

Obviously, in elementary school, inquiry only is great. But by middle school and definitely by highschool (especially if you are a STEM major) a formal study is incredibly helpful to developing an understanding of what real scientists do every day.

Ruth in NZ

This is a great start for a generic discovery box. Off the top of my head, I would add in some aluminum foil, clothes pins, a couple of rulers, some pipe cleaners, and some plastic bags. Then just keep adding as you discover more things that are useful. Keep the generic box around all the time, and then supplement it with themed boxes.

Thanks! Just added them.

I'm outing myself as a complete lunatic (again) but here. :blushing:

Oh my! That will keep me busy this weekend! :)

I love the ideas in this thread. Inquiry based science is much closer to real-world science than the typical demonstrations that school kids do. And I think that there are many many kids who would rather do this than the cook-book type labs that I see so often.

However, I do want to remind people that in real-world science, inquiry is only the first step. You dabble, you think, you get excited, you try a few things, you get some ideas, and possibly even form a hypothesis about what the true answer is. THEN, you start a formal study. From the hypothesis, you design an experiment that includes replication and a control. You collect data (which can take quite some time, and be boring). You analyze your results with tables, graphs, statistics. Then, you have an answer (or not) and think about what you have learned. What assumptions have you made? How does your answer compare to what others have found? Why could answers be different? What new questions have you uncovered? etc. Just like with Great Books, you enter the conversation.

Obviously, in elementary school, inquiry only is great. But by middle school and definitely by highschool (especially if you are a STEM major) a formal study is incredibly helpful to developing an understanding of what real scientists do every day.

Ruth in NZ

Thanks for chiming in! I love to read your posts on the logic board. I just wanted to respond to this to let you know that we do incorporate the scientific method (design tests, evaluate data, etc.). If you click on the linked thread in the OP, it takes you to a summary of the 5E method. Testing design, evaluation of data, etc. are part of steps 4 and 5. Then of course, your evaluation can be interesting enough to bring you full round to starting again at step 1 and repeating the process, refining ideas and knowledge as you go. :)

Thanks for chiming in! I love to read your posts on the logic board. I just wanted to respond to this to let you know that we do incorporate the scientific method (design tests, evaluate data, etc.). If you click on the linked thread in the OP, it takes you to a summary of the 5E method. Testing design, evaluation of data, etc. are part of steps 4 and 5. Then of course, your evaluation can be interesting enough to bring you full round to starting again at step 1 and repeating the process, refining ideas and knowledge as you go. :)

This whole method is awesome. I could tell from your posts that this was what *you* were doing, but I have definitely seen a general misunderstanding other threads between "inquiry" and the true scientific method. I thought that I should note the dichotomy to help anyone who was not quite certain of the difference.

People want to do better than the cook-book labs, so the jump into inquiry. They come up with cool questions, make some observations, and think they have found answers just like a scientist would. But they never have a control or replication (the boring part), and don't realize the assumptions they have made. They love the dabbling, but the problem is they never get to the next step. Often, I think they don't even know that the next step exists. This gives them a serious misperception about the work of scientists, and how much certainty to put in the conclusions of real-life scientists. If they ever knew how HARD it is to design a good experiment, how LONG it takes to collect the data, and how RIGOROUS the peer review process is, then I think they would trust the conclusions more.

Ruth

Edited by lewelma

I'm too tired to say much that is coherent right now, but thank you all for joining in this discussion. It has been awesome.

I just got my copy of NI in the mail and Science Notebooks from Interlibrary Loan, so i have a lot of reading to do. Amazingly ;) reading the books is beginning to help clarify things.

ALL of them! :lol:

The question about potential discovery box topics brings up a logical problem with discovery learning and inquiry. No human, let alone child, can possibly learn everything there is to know about science through discovery. My kids, bright as they are :tongue_smilie:, can't be Galileo and Newton and Einstein, etc., etc., etc. I talk a great deal about inquiry on this board but it's not all I do because it simply can't be. I believe the inquiry process teaches valuable lessons while letting a child's naturally scientific nature continue to flourish, but parallel, more traditional coverage of science also has its place as kids move through the grades.

Excellent point! Inquiry became a big fad for science center exhibits a while back. What they discovered was that although people enjoyed unstructured tinkering, often what they "learned" from it was wrong.

A perfect example of that are the "hand battery" exhibits most science centers have. You put one hand on a copper plate, and the other on a zinc plate. This generates an electric current, which is shown on a volt meter. Without well written information, most people come away from it thinking that they are somehow measuring the energy in their body.

Inquiry is marvelous for stimulating creative thought, but it needs to be tied in with reliable sources to be sure that you don't reinforce misconceptions.

I would kill for a book that flows chapter by chapter through the disciplines as naturally as they occur in reality. I envision a spiraling science program which could easily and logically lead from the Big Bang and the formation of the universe (physical science, earth and space science) to evolution (life science) to a study of fossils (earth with some archaeology and anthropology on the side?), to a study of rocks (earth science), to the periodic table (chemistry), to states of matter (physical science), to the weather cycle (earth science), to seasons and the life cycle of plants (earth then life science) to the life cycle of people and animals to blah blah blah blah blah... One topic would lead to another, each laying a solid foundation of fundamental knowledge that would maximize understanding of subsequent lessons. In other words, it should feel like a logical progression through the topics, not fragmented bits of info.

Isn't that what the Nebel books do?

Admittedly, I haven't really read them in depth -- I just skim for ideas. And I'm not a real fan of Nebel (something about his tone grates on me), so first of all I might be not seeing what's really there; and second of all, I'd vote for someone else doing the same thing because then it would be ... written by someone else who maybe doesn't annoy me.

Isn't that what the Nebel books do?

Admittedly, I haven't really read them in depth -- I just skim for ideas. And I'm not a real fan of Nebel (something about his tone grates on me), so first of all I might be not seeing what's really there; and second of all, I'd vote for someone else doing the same thing because then it would be ... written by someone else who maybe doesn't annoy me.

I'm thinking of a narrative, a story of science that flows.

No, much as I like those books. I want it to be about science itself, not the history of science. The closest thing I've found so far is Real Things in Nature but it's old and I don't want to mistakenly teach my kids outdated information.

Oh come on, I love books that wax poetic about how one day, man may even go on the moon or show the inner workings of a phonograph and telegraph machine!

What about The Science Book ed by Tallard? Or the one from DK? I haven't seen either. Are they too inventions-focused?

Oh come on, I love books that wax poetic about how one day, man may even go on the moon or show the inner workings of a phonograph and telegraph machine!

What about The Science Book ed by Tallard? Or the one from DK? I haven't seen either. Are they too inventions-focused?

:lol: You're making me feel extra picky here. :tongue_smilie:

I have the DK volume. It is outstanding but also chronological and not a narrative. I love it for what it is though. :D I get the impression that The Science Book is also not what I'm looking for, which is basically an engaging narrative that weaves together individual topics into a tapestry of science.

About the old books, I love them and do read parts to the kids...but only the parts I'm sure haven't changed. I think the nostalgia element is great. I just don't want my ignorance about what's scientifically correct or not to create false truths in my kids' minds, you know?

Excellent point! Inquiry became a big fad for science center exhibits a while back. What they discovered was that although people enjoyed unstructured tinkering, often what they "learned" from it was wrong.

A perfect example of that are the "hand battery" exhibits most science centers have. You put one hand on a copper plate, and the other on a zinc plate. This generates an electric current, which is shown on a volt meter. Without well written information, most people come away from it thinking that they are somehow measuring the energy in their body.

Inquiry is marvelous for stimulating creative thought, but it needs to be tied in with reliable sources to be sure that you don't reinforce misconceptions.

I also think inquiry is better for some personalities than for others. Two of my kids are full-on inquiry lovers and one is half and half "let me find out" and "just tell me why already!" I've always been bookish, or even videoish. :D I think I would be one of those people who would come away with a wrong impression every time, mostly because I'm too quick to accept an easy explanation and not bother beyond that. To me, that's the beauty of working through the whole process, really doing science with the scientific method. Then the process is in charge instead of my sometimes lazy assumptions. :tongue_smilie:

About the old books, I love them and do read parts to the kids...but only the parts I'm sure haven't changed. I think the nostalgia element is great. I just don't want my ignorance about what's scientifically correct or not to create false truths in my kids' minds, you know?

Absolutely, I was teasing. Plus old books don't mention Pluto!

What about Hogben's Science for the Citizen? Or Bryson's Short History ? I am just throwing ideas out there hoping they will generate ideas.

Anyhow here's a video for you. http://www.sciencefriday.com/arts/2010/10/the-history-of-the-world-abbreviated/

Edited by stripe

Okay, so today we started the "Question Board" just as way to get our feet wet (both DS older and I are sick, so don't want to get overwhelmed). The questions posted thus far by the kids:

1. What is the difference between porpoises and dolphins?

2. Why do plants grow upwards?

3. Why does vinegar and salt clean dirty pennies?

4.How does a piano work?

So far, so good!

Absolutely, I was teasing. Plus old books don't mention Pluto!

What about Hogben's Science for the Citizen? Or Bryson's Short History ? I am just throwing ideas out there hoping they will generate ideas.

Anyhow here's a video for you. http://www.sciencefriday.com/arts/2010/10/the-history-of-the-world-abbreviated/

That video is a hoot! Thanks for posting.

I think my problem is that I have science through history covered. I've got the books and links for that. Now I just want a pleasantly written, purely scientific volume written at a late elementary to middle grades level.

Okay, so today we started the "Question Board" just as way to get our feet wet (both DS older and I are sick, so don't want to get overwhelmed). The questions posted thus far by the kids:

1. What is the difference between porpoises and dolphins?

2. Why do plants grow upwards?

3. Why does vinegar and salt clean dirty pennies?

4.How does a piano work?

So far, so good!

Nice! Great questions!

Please do share your impressions of NI when you get a chance. I always get a twinge of fear when I recommend it to others (although no one would guess that by how often I do recommend it!). :lol:

Well, I've gotten my copy of NI as well as Science Notebooks from the library. It's a lot of information to get through.

As to our question board, here are our first questions:

Why can you see fog far away, but not when it is right near you?

Why and how does cotton shrink?

When a ball is dropped from 2x higher than another ball, why doesn't the time it takes to fall increase 2x?

And my own question for today: Why does a fire in one room attract the smoke from a fire in a different room? (ie. imagine smoke alarms going off and house filled with smoke till I figured out to close the door to the wood stove in the other room.:))

Happy Scientist: One thought I had for a science program would be along the lines of Tapestry of Grace http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/explore/ (also known as TOG). TOG is a history program for multiple levels. All ages in a homeschool can study the same subject while working at their own level. There is history core reading, in depth, and literature. There are also projects recommended as well as other activities. TOG is presented as a buffet; no one is expected to do it all, but much is offered. There is also a teacher's notes sections which summarizes the subjects being studied that week.I'm really glossing over it here, but I think a science program set up along similar lines might work well.

Happy Scientist: One thought I had for a science program would be along the lines of Tapestry of Grace http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/explore/ (also known as TOG). TOG is a history program for multiple levels. All ages in a homeschool can study the same subject while working at their own level. There is history core reading, in depth, and literature. There are also projects recommended as well as other activities. TOG is presented as a buffet; no one is expected to do it all, but much is offered. There is also a teacher's notes sections which summarizes the subjects being studied that week.I'm really glossing over it here, but I think a science program set up along similar lines might work well.

Thanks! I will definitely check it out!

No, much as I like those books. I want it to be about science itself, not the history of science. The closest thing I've found so far is Real Things in Nature but it's old and I don't want to mistakenly teach my kids outdated information.

First, I love this thread. That book looks great - I think I'll pull out the chapter on animal classification when we get to that in BFSU.

How big are your question boards? (I'm assuming a dry erase board.) I love the idea but I don't have much wall space left.

I'm off to gather junk for a discovery box. :auto:

First, I love this thread. That book looks great - I think I'll pull out the chapter on animal classification when we get to that in BFSU.

How big are your question boards? (I'm assuming a dry erase board.) I love the idea but I don't have much wall space left.

I'm off to gather junk for a discovery box. :auto:

It doesn't have to stay on a wall. You can just prop it up when you need it and tuck it away at other times. Alternatively, wouldn't a question notebook work too?

I would like to know if you find one. I saw The Code of Life, which sounds interesting in terms of narrative style, but is mostly just about genetics.

Oooh. This is a series! Lots of potential. Thanks!

Well, I've gotten my copy of NI as well as Science Notebooks from the library. It's a lot of information to get through.

When a ball is dropped from 2x higher than another ball, why doesn't the time it takes to fall increase 2x?

And my own question for today: Why does a fire in one room attract the smoke from a fire in a different room? (ie. imagine smoke alarms going off and house filled with smoke till I figured out to close the door to the wood stove in the other room.:))

Great questions! Don't you find the questions humbling? I sure do. :D

I use a dry erase board (2x3 maybe?). I just prop it up in our dining room window or on one of my playstands, then put it between a cabinet and the wall when I need school to disappear.

It doesn't have to stay on a wall. You can just prop it up when you need it and tuck it away at other times. Alternatively, wouldn't a question notebook work too?

I love the idea of a notebook!

Still working on a topic list...distracted by DH being on leave (for another 3 weeks)!

Somewhat off topic:

Does anyone else read some of the questions people are posting and have a terrible urge to start waving a hand in the air yelling, "Oh Oh! Call on me! I know the answer to that one!" like they're back in school?

BTW, it's not just this list that I'm quoting (although the cotton shrinking and the ball dropping are things that sound overly fun to discuss, which is why my kids would probably avoid them, for fear I would not shut up). It's so fun to see what people in other houses are thinking about.

Not sure where I'm going with this, except sharing lists like this is quite inspirational.

Somewhat off topic:

Does anyone else read some of the questions people are posting and have a terrible urge to start waving a hand in the air yelling, "Oh Oh! Call on me! I know the answer to that one!" like they're back in school?

BTW, it's not just this list that I'm quoting (although the cotton shrinking and the ball dropping are things that sound overly fun to discuss, which is why my kids would probably avoid them, for fear I would not shut up). It's so fun to see what people in other houses are thinking about.

Not sure where I'm going with this, except sharing lists like this is quite inspirational.

Feel free to share your answers to my questions or just freely discuss.:D

The ball dropping came about because ds is a juggler and was reading about it in a juggling book. The cotton came about because grandma gave ds a Yankees t-shirt for Christmas and said, "They said at the store it won't shrink." After I washed it, ds said it did look a bit smaller. And I said, "Well, it is cotton...."

Feel free to share your answers to my questions or just freely discuss.:D

The ball dropping came about because ds is a juggler and was reading about it in a juggling book. The cotton came about because grandma gave ds a Yankees t-shirt for Christmas and said, "They said at the store it won't shrink." After I washed it, ds said it did look a bit smaller. And I said, "Well, it is cotton...."

The ball dropping has to do with acceleration of gravity, which dd covered in her hs physics course about the same time the we were doing it in our grades 3-5 science class at co-op. I found a description of a demonstration you can do with this that involves tying washers to a long string and dropping it off of something tall, then listening to the intervals that the washers hit -- if you tie the washers at regular intervals (eg, every foot) you'll hear the clinking sound speed up, but you can do the math to figure out how to get the clinks evenly spaced by tying the washers closer and closer together. I can't find that demo now, but there are boatloads of demos on youtube by high school students and high school teachers.

has annoying music and foul language in the comments, but I like it because the kids filming it started dropping all sorts of stuff and filming it, which is pretty much what most kids would like to do. And then you discuss other aspects, like why the trash can lid fell at a different rate than the ball, or why you're not going to spend the afternoon filming your child jumping off of balconies.

Cotton fabric tends to shrink because it's relaxing back to its original shape. After fabric is manufactured it's wound on bolts under high tension, which stretches the fiber, which I think makes it more compressed for cheaper shipping. The fabric relaxes some when it comes off the bolt (sometimes fabric is simply left on a horizontal surface for a while to take care of some of the relaxing). Perhaps the pressing during manufacture also stretches the cotton. Sending it through the washer allows the fiber to relax; many manufacturers will give items a single wash, but it usually takes several to relax totally. Manufacturers "cut for shrinkage". See Fashion Incubator for oodles if info on clothing manufacture, which I find incredibly intriguing. Bonus info: different colors shrink different amounts, which perhaps has to do with the dye (if you knit or crochet, have you ever noticed different colors of the same yarn have slightly different gauges?). Another bonus: If you purchased cotton yarn and knit a sweater, you might find that it "grows" over time because, again, the fibers are relaxing. Same thing going on, but a different result.

Ok, so I've been away from this thread for a while, but I've now read the NI book and the Science Notebook book, and it looks like a great idea. I really like the way that the teacher in NI handled his class and the inquiry sounded fabulous for the kids.

One thing that seemed amazingly valuable for his students were the records left from his previous years' classes. I don't know how to replicate that at home. I imagine some larger families could make it happen, but at this point I only have 2 to 4 kids (depending on the day) and half of them are too young right now. One of the PPs mentioned the importance of replication and outside scientists in actual scientific inquiry; in NI those portions are clearly taken on by the year-after-year flow of students through his class. How do you do this at home?

I was also wondering if someone could post a link to the discovery boxes thread. I looked around but seemed to have missed it.

Is anyone Inquiry-izing BFSU? I'm rather hoping to do that. I've really liked what I've learned from BFSU thus far, and want to keep going even as I add in inquiry. (HUGE hopes coming from me, the mama who has let science mostly slide for almost a year).

Thanks! Yay!

Ok, so I've been away from this thread for a while, but I've now read the NI book and the Science Notebook book, and it looks like a great idea. I really like the way that the teacher in NI handled his class and the inquiry sounded fabulous for the kids.

One thing that seemed amazingly valuable for his students were the records left from his previous years' classes. I don't know how to replicate that at home. I imagine some larger families could make it happen, but at this point I only have 2 to 4 kids (depending on the day) and half of them are too young right now. One of the PPs mentioned the importance of replication and outside scientists in actual scientific inquiry; in NI those portions are clearly taken on by the year-after-year flow of students through his class. How do you do this at home?

I was also wondering if someone could post a link to the discovery boxes thread. I looked around but seemed to have missed it.

Is anyone Inquiry-izing BFSU? I'm rather hoping to do that. I've really liked what I've learned from BFSU thus far, and want to keep going even as I add in inquiry. (HUGE hopes coming from me, the mama who has let science mostly slide for almost a year).

Thanks! Yay!

I have not started a discovery box thread yet. I got all excited about this thread and the conversation and overestimated my time and abilities while DH is still on leave. If someone else wants to start one, that would be great and I'll participate when I'm able, or I can start one when DH goes back to work and we go back to school. (We're on break while he's on leave.)

We do keep a Book of Discoveries. Obviously, it's not exactly the same as in NI, because we all study roughly the same topics. My kids will not move in a linear way through what has already been covered by elders. But we as a family will most likely cycle around to that topic again. Science builds in complexity. Larger concepts build upon smaller concepts. So, when they cycle around to sublimation after having already learned about states of matter, they will look at their previous work and rethink what they've done prior or build on it.