Menu

17 yo and writing

17yo ds can write well if he puts his mind to it but often he quickly throws a paper together full of colloquial phrases. Once I mark everything red and suggest alternatives or have him come up with different wording, he is actually able to put together a decent paper.

Any suggestions, a book, a method? We have been working with Writing Strands : *Expository Writing* but while we enjoyed previous editions, we are not thrilled with the exercises in this book.

He will graduate at the end of 2008 and go on to Community College where he has already been taking classes.

This summer I would work on getting back to basics and have him do more prewrite by using a graphic organizer. There are many different kinds and the one you use will depend on him and the purpose of the paper. I would also have him read the Writing Evaluation book for himself and have him grade younger students work so he can get an eye for profreading.

I hope you get many responses as we have the same challenges in our homeschool.

These are by Great Source education. The first is a general high school book and covers lots, the second is for jr./sr. year, according to the publisher. I love the Writer's, Inc. book as a resource for my 11 year old, too. I purchased them used for a song and have been very pleased with them. They have writing samples and ideas on their site, so you can check those out before buying the books, too.

TFJ

Writer's, Inc & Write for College

These are by Great Source education. The first is a general high school book and covers lots, the second is for jr./sr. year, according to the publisher. I love the Writer's, Inc. book as a resource for my 11 year old, too. I purchased them used for a song and have been very pleased with them. They have writing samples and ideas on their site, so you can check those out before buying the books, too.

TFJ

I like these books too. Our local community college allows writing instructors to chose their own materials for first year composition. Browsing through the bookstore, I saw that several classes were using Write for College as their handbook.

Regards,

Kareni