Menu

Opinions on Saxon DIVE?

momo4

I just read some great posts about whether to go from 7/6 to 8/7 or 1/2 Algebra and it sounds like 8/7 will be a better fit.

I have always wondered if DIVE is worth the investment. I thought it might be more helpful in the upper grades.

Do you use it and has it made a positive difference?

Momo

After several months, I found the dive cd used at the local homeschool store. DD said it really helped and she wished we'd had it all along.

We've since gone back to 8/7 without a dive cd and she's doing fine. If I see one used at the homeschool store, I'll buy it though.

I have a friend locally who loves them. As she put it "It makes sure that they don't miss anything."

My son is in Math 7/6

The Dive CD has been priceless. I know math pretty well and so does my dh but I find it is easier if the explanation originally comes from someone else and he doesn't tend to 'challenge' it when I reinforce it....He usually doesn't need reinforcement but when he does he believes me because he already heard it. Not to mention it gives mom a little break... Lessons aren't usually longer than about 5 minutes or so.

I would do the CD over and over again...BUT we are going to swtich to Teaching Textbooks because their CDs cover the lessons and then they also cover individual problems...but I think I read somewhere that Saxon is getting ready to launch the same idea too.

HTH,

Alison

I love DIVE here! Both of my boys are using them now. My oldest complains about everything, so he complains a bit about it too. We're doing a bit of review on lessons he doesn't have down right now. We're doing one day of listening to him and then the practice problems and the next day of the actual lesson.

I love knowing I am the actual backup on teaching math. It's not my strength and I feel really great about him being the primary teacher.

We love it. I personally don't like the idea of video school for *my* children, but I love DIVE. He explains the lessons in a way that is really engaging. He also gives different examples than what is in the book. If your children don't understand after watching his lesson, they can then work the examples in the book.

Pros: If a child is stuck on a concept they can rewind to the proper lesson and watch examples worked through.

It explains math from a Christian standpoint. "Science is the language of God, and math is the language of science."

The kids love that I let them use the computer during school time.

They are required to write everything on the screen. They write on the whiteboard while watching, giving them more review.

Cons: A parent might be tempted to not read the lesson with the child or ahead of the child, thus, not learning Saxon's teaching methods.