Menu

What after MOH 3?

SOTW 4 would be wonderful for your dd! I was going to use it for 6th, and posted a list of what we would read along with it in this thread.

ETA--Ah, I misread your signature. You could do SOTW 4, but I really, really like k12's Human Odyssey. I've preread the whole thing--it was so well-written, clear and easy to understand, but more on an 8th grade level.

What I'd do, if you are going to keep your kiddos together, is let the oldest listen in to SOTW, but have her read k12's book as her main spine. You can still do a lot of the books on my particular list; most are Jr Hi level.

Edited by Chris in VA

SOTW 4 would be wonderful for your dd! I was going to use it for 6th, and posted a list of what we would read along with it in this thread.

ETA--Ah, I misread your signature. You could do SOTW 4, but I really, really like k12's Human Odyssey. I've preread the whole thing--it was so well-written, clear and easy to understand, but more on an 8th grade level.

What I'd do, if you are going to keep your kiddos together, is let the oldest listen in to SOTW, but have her read k12's book as her main spine. You can still do a lot of the books on my particular list; most are Jr Hi level.

I will check out the K12 Human Odyssey, thanks! I had wondered about SOTW 4 but I just can't see that as an 8th grade level-- maybe with alot of extras to flesh it out. Thanks :001_smile:

I'm using SOTW 4 along with Joy Hakim's History of US, tons of additional literature, writing assignments, and mapwork/geography for 7th. It is going very well and I'm pleased with the progress. Paula's archives has a list of resources including how to flow Hakims with SOTW.

How long does this take you? We would have about 5 or so months, do you think this would be do-able in that time frame?

Would story of the world 4 be enough if I fleshed it out with books? What else can you recommend? Dd will complete MOH 3 in about a month. Thanks in advance

Have you looked at All American History, by the same publisher? It isn't laid out exactly the same, but it is very similar. Much more formal in tone.

Personally I can't stand History of the US. It is the only history texts I have ever sold. I last year we went through DK's Children's History of the 20th Century. It is oop, but when I bought it it wasn't expensive used. You aren't quite up to 1900's yet. Guerber's Story of the Great Republic would get you there, but doesn't have the laid out assignments like MOH. Course neither does the DK book.

I don't see why STOW 4 wouldn't work with extra reading from the book list.

Heather

Have you looked at All American History, by the same publisher? It isn't laid out exactly the same, but it is very similar. Much more formal in tone.

Personally I can't stand History of the US. It is the only history texts I have ever sold. I last year we went through DK's Children's History of the 20th Century. It is oop, but when I bought it it wasn't expensive used. You aren't quite up to 1900's yet. Guerber's Story of the Great Republic would get you there, but doesn't have the laid out assignments like MOH. Course neither does the DK book.

I don't see why STOW 4 wouldn't work with extra reading from the book list.

Heather

We did AAH 1 and my oldest absolutely dreaded it. BUT- that was my fault because that was when I was new to homeschooling and she was just out of public school. I made it way to schooly- textbooky and boring. I absolutely killed her on that and I didn't realize it. I know its a wonderful curriculum and even though I now know how to teach better I know she would buck like a mule. And a strong one. :confused:

I think I would go with SOTW 4 and add in extra books where you would like. She's in 8th right? You could easily finish volume 4 this year and then move on to what ever plans you have for high school next year. Just my two cents. :001_smile:

We did AAH 1 and my oldest absolutely dreaded it. BUT- that was my fault because that was when I was new to homeschooling and she was just out of public school. I made it way to schooly- textbooky and boring. I absolutely killed her on that and I didn't realize it. I know its a wonderful curriculum and even though I now know how to teach better I know she would buck like a mule. And a strong one. :confused:

Ya I haven't even decided if we are using it. I keep waiting for something to jump out at me, but nothing has so far. I own book 1 and need to read through it. I also can break it up with MOH 3, which I think would help. I just can't believe the apparent lack of non-encyclopedia texts at this level and going into high school.

Heather

I just can't believe the apparent lack of non-encyclopedia texts at this level and going into high school.

Heather

:iagree: I wonder why that is? When Linda finishes with MOH 4, they will sell like hot cakes. I am excited that I will get to go through the ENTIRE series with DS.

How long does this take you? We would have about 5 or so months, do you think this would be do-able in that time frame?

It depends upon how fast you want to move through it. If you don't add extra literature and keep longer writing assignments to a minimum, you might be able to do both Hakim's and SOTW 4 in 5 months.

I'm going to use TruthQuest Age of Revolution guides.

http://www.truthquesthistory.com/store/products.php?categoryParentName=Books&categoryName=Age+of+Revolution&itemId=32

We are liking the one we are using this year on the Reformation. I like that the author has multiple resources listed for each topic and I'm not confined to one author's perspective. I also love that I can assign the lower level readings to my son, the higher to my daughter, and then we can all sit and discuss the topic. It is working very well here.