What's with the ads?

X-Post: Chalkdust Math, anyone use it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Soph the vet

Soph the vet

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

Is it rigorous? Are dc prepared for SAT, ACT, etc.? Thinking about switching after Saxon 6/5.
Thanks for any info.

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

We've used it for Pre-Alg through Pre Cal and find it rigorous for our purposes. My eldest scored well on the PSAT math with Chalkdust as a background. HTH's. Janet

#3 Brenda in MA

Brenda in MA

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

discussions about Chalkdust on this board recently. If you search, you'll find many threads.

My ds just finished CD PreCalc and did very well on the ACT math.

#4 langfam

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

As far as the DVD instruction is concerned. Dana Mosely is a superb teacher, in my opinion. I like that he's very organized in his presentation. I like that he's very thorough and does not make assumptions about what a student might/might not understand and therefore does not make leaps in teaching a concept. He's very methodical. He does not skip steps. I like that he might review a concept a little before teaching a new one to refresh the student's memory. He can be quite animated and is therefore not boring. He almost teaches with his whole body. My kids love him.

#5 Kareni

BEEn here awhile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16711 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:33 PM

My teen used the Chalkdust SAT math review program; she used Lial's for Algebra 1 and 2, Jacobs' for Geometry, and Sullivan for Pre-Calculus. She found it valuable.