Menu

stretch marks on fast growing teens?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

My 14yods showed me his back recently. He has 3 shiney pink stripes in a ladder along his lower back that look exactly like stretch marks. Is this normal?

Well, my daughter probably doesn't count in the traditional way. She gained a lot of weight from prednisone when her kidneys freaked out last summer. Her sides and thighs are covered.

She hasn't expressed anything about them so I leave it alone. I have wondered if there is anything we can do about them though <sigh>

The stretch marks shocked my dh and I because they were so large, and being fresh, so pink on his brown back. He looked like he had been slashed by Wolverine. The pediatrician says she sees them a lot on kids. They grow so fast that their skin can't catch up. I would have thought a young person's skin would be more accommodating. She said that horizontal stretch marks mean upward growth, vertical stretch marks mean lateral growth. I can tell you that I didn't care to hear that. All my stretch marks go side to side. :p

Zinc can get low during periods of stress, fast growth, and puberty. So, some zinc supplements may help. IMO, consider using more than the RDA. The amount in a multivitamin may not be enough during periods of quick growth.

My son, who weighs 50 lbs, takes 50 mg/day. That's quite a bit more than the RDA, but we've done blood work on him and know he's low in zinc. If you can't do blood work, I wouldn't give more than 25-40mg/day in a 80-100lb kid unless your doctor okays it.

HIH,

Lisa

My husband has the same marks on his back. If it makes you feel any better, they were very visible when we started dating as teenagers, but now we're in our 30's and you can barely see them.

Same here. If the light's just right I can see them on dh. Or, I used to be able to -- come to think of it, I haven't noticed one way or another lately.

Anyway, when dd (the 12yo who is already taller than I am) had some I didn't worry.

The zinc is an interesting point. I'll look into that.

Guest Virginia Dawn
The stretch marks shocked my dh and I because they were so large, and being fresh, so pink on his brown back. He looked like he had been slashed by Wolverine. The pediatrician says she sees them a lot on kids. They grow so fast that their skin can't catch up. I would have thought a young person's skin would be more accommodating. She said that horizontal stretch marks mean upward growth, vertical stretch marks mean lateral growth. I can tell you that I didn't care to hear that. All my stretch marks go side to side. :p

That's exactly the way I would describe my son's. It was unnerving the first time I saw them.

Of course all mine are horizontal too. ;)

• 4 years later...

My twins have them. I was a little freaked out when I saw them, as my oldest dd and I never had that happen except around the hips a little. But Sarah and Miranda grew SO much last year. They had them come up all the way up their back, on their upper arms, and the backs of their legs :( They were self-concious about them at first, but they are fading a lot now. They just inherited their dad's skin...he was covered in them as a teen (from weight AND growth though)

This is interesting because I'd never thought about it and all mine are from weight gain as an adult.

However, this weekend, while visiting family for the 4th, I saw my lil' brother (he'll be 30 this year) shirtless and noticed a patch of stretch marks on his lower back. They weren't horrible looking....and he didn't even know he had them! But b/c he's so tan, they did show up in the sunlight.

(I was just glad he got one genetic negative, since he's the thin, tall, blue-eyed, long-eyelashed, thick-haired child of the 2 of us. muhahahaha!)

My oldest son took his shirt off while doing yard work one spring after he had grown tons over the winter. I almost cried. His back looked like he had been whipped. Literally. He is over 6'4' and still growing at age 24. However, that was the only year he got the stretch marks and they have since faded and are barely visible.

Hey people--this thread is 4 years old and the OP is not even a member here anymore. ;)

But I happened to read this today, and thankfully we now have an explanation for those strange "stripes" on our ds' lower back. We could NOT figure out what caused them.

Thanks to the Hive!!