Menu

Potter's Adv. Composition vs. Veritas Composition

Ok, I've read the descriptions of both online composition courses at Potters (Advanced Composition) and at Veritas (Composition 1), however I'm having difficulty choosing between the two.

Can anyone share their likes and dislikes of these classes? Looking to enroll my soon to be ninth grader.

Lavender

I researched both and decided on Advanced Composition at TPS(The Potter's School) for my senior. With regard to level and quantity of work required, I think that Composition 1 at Veritas would come before Advanced Composition at Potter's School. Advanced Composition requires 1 paper per week 500-700 words. I haven't had a 9th grader that could keep up with that pace, but yours may be different. Adv. Comp (and the other courses at TPS leading up to Adv. Comp) require some strict style guideliness. They have been very good for my son, but I'm not sure I would have wanted him to have multiple years of that, other parents might want that preparation. I did have a senior, strong in grammr, and he has easily adapted to the style issues (not necessarily happily). It has been the pace that has been hard for him. I'm not sure which of the TPS precourses to Adv. Comp would fall at about the same level as the Veritas Comp I.

Lavender,

I can say with almost certainty that there is no way I would put a freshman in TPS Advanced Comp unless said freshman was doing a very light year with everything else or was already Shakespeare. I can tell you that TPS does not mess around and they do expect quite a bit out of the student. I really like TPS, but it is a very time-consuming option. At least it is the way we do it.

Our dd is in the classical track at TPS, and I really like it, but it does take a lot of time. She is also taking two other classes with TPS: biology and French and taking an online algebra class. She is spending a lot of time getting her work done. I was very, well, overwhelmed, for lack of a better word, about it a couple of days ago. I good sleep helped, but wow, just wow.

Oh, and our dd absolutely loves to write. She writes all the time. She reads for pleasure all the time. Well, I suppose I should say she used to read for pleasure all the time. She hasn't been able to read for pleasure since school started this year. She did complete the NaNoWriMo challenge last month, but it really took its toll on her on top of her school work.

I would probably start with TPS English 3. I really doubt the class would disappoint you. I know it includes literature, but they do a lot of writing around the lit in our dd's class, so I assume it would be similar wtih English 3.

I have no experience with VP classes.

Edited by Josie

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a late comer to the thread but I was doing some TPS searching and came across this one.

I very highly recommend Advanced Comp through TPS. My sophomore is taking it right now and my college student took it his sophomore year.

I think it would be tough for a 9th grader to get in. They would have to have either taken other English classes through TPS or take a placement test. They are pretty picky on their placement test. My ds barely got accepted as a sophomore even though he was a really good writer and ended up with an A in the class.

It is a big time investment but worth it! The teachers have a very high standard including dropping the students' grade for improper formatting and don't even think about using a "be verb" in a paper! TPS moms know of what I speak.:lol::lol:

It is a great class for prepping for a college writing class as well as the SAT essay. Just a funny note...my ds took at history class at the community college his second semester of senior year of high school. He was accused of plagiarizing his final paper. His instructor said his paper was too good for her class. He proved his work original and got an A in the class.;)

My son had Ms. Corrin and my dd has Mrs. Troxell. Both of them loved their teachers. In fact, my son (who is a freshman at UCLA) still says that TPS Advanced Comp. was his most helpful class in high school.

My dd is in TPS's Classical Track with Josie's dd. We've been so happy with the writing instruction at TPS! I wouldn't start a dc in Advanced Comp either. The standards are high for all their writing classes, but Adv. Comp. is tough. Your dc could also be at a disadvantage starting with Adv. Comp. without taking a previous writing class with TPS (like most/many of the other students would have). How about English 3, which is their 9th grade class?