Menu

When will it end? Anyone else having these days..need advice on clindamycin...

Really? I've heard of the 12 days of Christmas but not the 12 weeks of misery and angst!

This all started 6 weeks ago...

Our 3 year old beagle collapsed and died in front of me on our morning walk.

I caught the neighborhood burglar (he was out on bond already so me catching him with our stuff put him right back in jail, but not before we had 3 weeks of shotguns shooting at him almost every night, he robbed everyone for 3 weeks)

Our propane went out while cooking a 5 cooktop burner meal.

Our refrigerator went out but the part I need will not be made by GE until February 6th. It is only 3.5 years old.

Our scout bank acct was hacked by Africaners and they took all our monies in a matter of hours..had to go through paper trails to get funds back in..

My aunt died...family drama there...all her sisters (my mom included) were forbidden to attend funeral b/c they tried to save her life...long story.

Yesterday, I noticed a 'growth' or widespread deep infection (about an inch wide) above my eyebrow..it was a bit reddish, not painful but hurt when I touched it or raised my eyebrow (which has been happening a lot lately)

I ignored it and this morning, I had a pocket or mass of dense painful swelling below my ear and my lymph node on that side was swollen and painful. I went to the urgent care clinic..he thinks I was bit by something (I have been bit by a brown recluse in the past but those bites HURT, this thing above my eyebrow does not hurt like that did) and my body is trying to fight it...so he put me on 12 capsules of Clindamycin a day for 10 days!!!!

TWELVE!!! I bought some yogurt to take to help keep my gut healthy..but that will kill everything in my body! Any tips? I've got a budding headache (not sure if it's the infection or the first 3 capsules I took this morning)...I keep thinking each new week will bring a respite from this ridiculous drama...but no.

That sounds like a lot of clindamycin... (I'm an RN)... how many mg are you scheduled to take each day? It's rare that Rx are filled wrong but it occassionally happens. It's a fairly strong antibiotic... perhaps double check with your pharmacy that you're taking an appropriate dose. 12 capsules each day sounds like a lot.

When I took clindamycin (for about a week - then the doctor said I didn't need it), I ended up with C. diff (I was much sicker with the C. diff than the initial infection :eek: ). I got the treatment for C. diff, but it didn't work. I ended up using a probiotic (Florajen 3) that finally got the C. diff under control. In my situation, yogurt would be ineffective.

Here is a quote I made in this thread (You might want to read that thread in its entirety to get more info.)

I got c diff when I was on antibiotics for MRSA (given before the culture was back & I did.not.have MRSA).

I learned alot from this site: http://www.cdiffsupport.com/.

I got the antibiotics for c diff, but it came back. I started on probiotics that I learned about at this site and used Floragen 3 and that's how I got the c diff under control.

wikipedia articles on clindamycin and clostridium difficile

website for Florajen 3 - the probiotic I used

:grouphug: So sorry you are having such a bad time. Hope things get better for you soon. :grouphug:

i have been on clindamycin several times, including intraveneously. It gave me an odd taste in my mouth sometimes, but other than that no real side effects to speak of.

That said, 12 capsules does sound like a lot. I agree with the RN above who said to double-check the prescription. Hope things look up for you soon!!

:grouphug: Yuck. I hope this is the end of it all.

If you can get some Florastor...well, get it ASAP even if ordering online, it's great with antibiotics like that because they can't kill the s. boulardi in it.

Until then I'd recommend you add Culturelle which you can probably get at your local pharmacy type place especially if it's a chain. It will be killed so take it half way between doses and, if you can, 3 hours after each dose as well for insurance. Load up. Culturelle is proven to survive the digestion process and is very good with the really nasty stuff like c. diff but you do have to keep taking it because it's killed off with each antibiotic dose. I would not rely upon yogurt to protect you.

My son got c. diff in a situation like that and it was nasty. I will never be without something like Florastor in this house again.

I hope that infection is under control soon. It sounds nasty. :grouphug:

That sounds like a lot of clindamycin... (I'm an RN)... how many mg are you scheduled to take each day? It's rare that Rx are filled wrong but it occassionally happens. It's a fairly strong antibiotic... perhaps double check with your pharmacy that you're taking an appropriate dose. 12 capsules each day sounds like a lot.

Thanks all, the pocket of drainage by my ear seems even more dense than this morning...the clindamycin is 150 mg...so I am taking 450 mg 4x a day...I need to check therapeutic levels in the PDR...my concern is what if it turns out to be a fungal infection? I have no reason to believe it is but I know some fungal infections present the same as bacterial..

Thanks for the tip on probiotics, praying I will not need it but this just seems like a large dose!

Thanks

Clindamycin failed, my infection has spread and lymph nodes/ drainage is larger...trying new antibiotic and seeing my family physician first thing in the morning, I really think this may be MSRA...have not been in hospital in over a year just to visit neighbor...whatever it is it is not comfy! Pain is more annoying than debilitating..but constant...thanks for your prayers!

I don't know about your new medication, but cannot overstate how important I think it is to start some s. boulardi (Florastor) in high doses starting as soon as you can, and continuing for at least a month after you finish treatment for this (which I hope resolves for you quickly on the new medication!). C Diff is becoming more and more common, and is getting increasingly difficult to eradicate. Florastor is shown to be very helpful in preventing (and treating) it.

Yes! Heading to our pharmacy tomorrow to pick it up, I hate yogurt but have had two a day without gagging too much! Thanks so much!

Went to doc and he thought shingles but with no pain on touching the spots he deduced it is a strep infection not staph...he gave me a shot of rocephin and I will finish out the Spectracef....hopefully in a couple of days the mass by y ear will be gone, it is now hard and dense and the only painful part of all this, ugh...picked up the probiotic so will start that...I am napping now...sigh