Menu

Lapbook

We are trying a lapbook (Hands of a Child Mtn Habitats project pack) and my kids told me this morning that it's just not fun. I have to agree. I thought it would be fun because we're spending a few months in the mountains, and the boys like drawing and making things. I did get some extra books from the library, but the little projects in the lapbbok are just too simple and ds said "I don't like being told what to write down". It's supposed to be for 3rd-6th grade. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this lapbook more fun, more in-depth, more creative (less busy-work)? Or should we just scrap it. Maybe lapbboks just aren't our thing?

My kiddo likes lapbooks, but I have an idea for you...

Instead of following the directions in the manual and doing the specified projects, how about letting your dc plan out what THEY want to put in the lapbook. They can do their research and then write it up in some kind of minibook form. http://www.homeschoolshare.com has some free templates to make different kinds of foldable booklet thingys. Your boys could draw their own illustrations, etc.

We tried a history lapbook this year - -and the kids weren't as into it as I thought they would be. It was also hard to keep all those little pieces together. I think your idea might be best -- to let the kids have a vested interest into how the lapbook is created.

I guess my experience with lapbooks this year has caused me to wonder....I know parents and reviewers love lapbooks, but are they really of great value to the kids' learning? So many times I see information glued into lapbooks for a great "presentation" but is it really meaningful to the kids?

Thanks for the input. I'll try letting them come up with their own plan on finishing the lapbook. They're very creative so I'll try to be open-minded. Thanks for the website-they have a LOT of templates! I guess this'll be our last lapbook, unless they want to make their own. Each mini-book just has tidbits of facts, it seems more like the stuff they did in ps. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't really like them.

I guess my experience with lapbooks this year has caused me to wonder....I know parents and reviewers love lapbooks, but are they really of great value to the kids' learning? So many times I see information glued into lapbooks for a great "presentation" but is it really meaningful to the kids?

Well, I can say for my dd, there has been value. First of all, she does not like to write, but for some reason, writing info for a minibook, etc. that is going to go into a bigger project gives her incentive to write. She also likes to flip back through the things she has completed, so she is reviewing information on her own. I think the value increases significantly when it is the child's creation, not just something followed straight from the book.

All that being said, lapbooks are not my faves either.

I guess we're a rare bunch as my girls LOVE lapbooks and they really do retain alot of info that they put into them. Really it depends on the lapbook . First you do the unit study , whatever that maybe . Watch videos , go on a trip of some sort . Then as the information is fresh in their minds let them write down what they want . What they think will make a good lapbook . Let them draw , cut , paste , paint their ideas . You can use what you bought as an outline . But if they'd rather have a mini book instead of a layered book , by all means let them chose . I also recommend the Ultimate Lapbook Handbook . This includes LOTS of ideas . There are other types of 'lapbooks' you can make . They have instructions on how to make a pizza book ( this would be great for your mountain lapbook ) , how to make an accordian book , a stick book and hardbooks ( with wallpaper no doubt ! ) . We've just started with lapbooking and the more we do it the more we learn . I've even taken the ideas off of www.homeschoolshare.com and www.homeschoolhelperonline.com and tweaked them to fit our lapbooks .

Also another suggestion is to have your children make their minibooks , shutter folds etc . and put them in a ziplock bag . Then as you go through they can pick out whatever it is they want to use at the time and jot down information . Then have them put completed minibooks into another bag. Once your all done with that then get your folder out and start pasting them in .

How about instead of using a folder , make a Simple book . Fold cardstock or posterboard in half and draw a mountain starting it at the top of your crease then cut it out and voila` a simple book . Then paste in all they want . Or how about a posterboard lapbook instead of file folders .

The sky is the limit with lapbooking . The only limitation is your mind :>)

Of course it maybe that lapbooking isn't for you guys too . And that's alright .