Menu

Ancients read-alouds

Bula Mama

Planning Ancients read-alouds for next year for my 9 year-old with SOTW 1. Here's my list so far. Absolute keepers? Ones that we shouldn't waste our time on? Opinions appreciated!!!

Adam and His Kin

Boy of the Pyramids

Golden Goblet

Hittite Warrior

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

God King

Cat of Bubastis

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Young Carthaginian

Augustus Caesar’s World

Bronze Bow

Planning Ancients read-alouds for next year for my 9 year-old with SOTW 1. Here's my list so far. Absolute keepers? Ones that we shouldn't waste our time on? Opinions appreciated!!!

Adam and His Kin

Boy of the Pyramids

Golden Goblet

Hittite Warrior

God King

Cat of Bubastis

Young Carthaginian

Augustus Caesar’s World

Bronze Bow

Of the books on your list that we read when DSs were ages 7 and 9, our DSs enjoyed:

- Golden Goblet** (grade 4+ read aloud)

- Hittite Warrior (grade 3+ read aloud)

- Archimedes and the Door of Science (grade 2+ read aloud)

(** NOTE: Golden Goblet is harder as a read-aloud; some kids really hang with it, others don't like it; our DSs really enjoyed it)

Not on your list, but books they also really enjoyed:

- ancient Egypt: Tales of Ancient Egypt (Green) -- (gr. 3+ read-aloud)

- ancient Greece: The Librarian Who Measured the Earth (Lasky) -- (gr. 1+ read-aloud)

- ancient Greece: Black Ships Before Troy (Sutcliffe) -- (gr. 3 or 4+ read aloud)

- ancient Greece: excerpts from Greek Myths (D'Aulaires) -- (gr. 3+ read aloud)

- ancient Greece: Aesop's Fables for Children (Winter) -- (gr. K+ read aloud)

- ancient Rome: Detectives in Togas (Winterfeld) -- (gr. 2+ read aloud)

Bronze Bow may or may not go over well with a 9yo; we did it in a later round of ancients (8th grade), which seemed to be the appropriate "intellectual fit". It's got a terrific Christian theme. I enjoyed Mara, Daughter of the Nile when I was a teen, but in re-reading it as an adult, I skipped it for our DSs in both rounds of our ancients -- a bit too much of a romance novel -- Golden Goblet was a much better boy fit. Not personally familiar with Adam and His Kin, but I believe it is for a much older "audience"; I also recall that several people did not like it, but I cannot remember the reasons. Again, not personally familiar with Cat of Bubastis, but people seem to either really love or really hate Henty's books. ETA: I just read chapter 1 from the free online version at Gutenberg Project -- ick. I would pass on it: purple prose and flat characters without realistic motivation, like reading overly wordy Victorian descriptions of action postcards from history. Too much vocabulary to trip up a 9yo, and too much "telling" and not enough "showing". But that's just how it struck me; maybe it gets better.

Enjoy your ancients journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

Watching this carefully...

We read out loud, for Egypt:

"A Place in the Sun"

"Maia of Thebes"

They were both... "okay".

I also purchased "The Golden Goblet" and "Mara, Daughter of the Nile" - and after reading some to myself, I just don't think my kids would have the stamina for them at this age (my girls are ages 9 and 7). My 9-yr-old LOVES being read to and can follow complicated stories, but when it starts getting too heavy-handed with politics and intertwining plot lines, she ends up lost. Even with the two above books, we had to stop and discuss a lot, and those books are much more digestible. I *do* think the books gave my kids a visceral sense of what it might have been like to live in ancient Egypt. I did shelve Goblet and Mara though, with the idea that they will be good reads when we come around to Egypt the second time (ages 13 and 11), whether they read to themselves or I read aloud.

"Golden Goblet" looked more accessible than "Mara". I think 4th or 5th grade (my 9 yr old is in 3rd). Mara looked more like a middle school book to me.

Gosh, "Boy of the Pyramids" looks great? I wish I had known about that one. Maybe we'll still go back and read it.

One set I really, REALLY recommend is Ludmila Zeman's picture book trilogy retelling the Epic of Gilgamesh. I purchased these and am so glad to have them. Beautifully illustrated and the kids enjoyed them.

We also read the award-winning "The Cat Who Went to Heaven" around the time we discussed ancient China. The book takes place later and in ancient Japan, so it's not entirely integrated read, but it I had no other reads going on at the time and I wanted a loosely-integrated piece of quality literature at the time. My kids loved. LOVED IT! I was surprised.

Right now, we are on to Greece, and reading "The D'aulaires Book of Greek Myths". My kids are enjoying it. We are also concurrently re-reading Percy Jackson "The Lightning Thief" and it's really great, because all those Greek mythology references my 9 yr old didn't get back when we read it the first time, she gets now and really lights up about. (My 7 yr old is hearing Percy Jackson for the first time.) While Percy Jackson isn't exactly fine literature, it's a really neat way to illustrate to the kids how these stories and legends end up alluded to in literature.

Those are my experiences so far..

Is he 9 this year or next? We're reading Mara right now, and it's a little more mature than some of the others. Romantic love is an important theme. My 11yo ds is really enjoying it, but he likes almost everything. I would compare it to Witch of Blackbird Pond in terms of maturity and difficulty level.

Hittite Warrior, Golden Goblet, and God King are all really good. I had ds read those on his own.

We also really enjoyed reading the story of Gilgamesh. There are a number of re-tellings and translations. We liked these stories by Ludmila Zeman

Gilgamesh the King

The Revenge of Ishtar

The Last Quest of Gilgamesh

Goodness, that last one is expensive! I got them through ILL at the library. They are picture books, but not too young at all. Lovely illustrations and a great retelling.

One set I really, REALLY recommend is Ludmila Zeman's picture book trilogy retelling the Epic of Gilgamesh. I purchased these and am so glad to have them. Beautifully illustrated and the kids enjoyed them.

I'm glad to see someone else recommend these! I didn't see your post before I replied, but I agree. These are wonderful books.

We also really enjoyed reading the story of Gilgamesh. There are a number of re-tellings and translations. We liked these stories by Ludmila Zeman

Gilgamesh the King

The Revenge of Ishtar

The Last Quest of Gilgamesh

Goodness, that last one is expensive! I got them through ILL at the library. They are picture books, but not too young at all. Lovely illustrations and a great retelling.

Will try to get the first 2. Live overseas so ILL isn't really an option! :001_smile:

My 8 yo enjoyed "The Emperor's silent army: terracotta warriors of Ancient China" by Jane O'Connor - a history book instead of a historical fiction, but with a good flow and a lot of interesting info for an elem age.

My older son is a history buff and strong in lang arts. He loved the G.A. Henty books as young as 2nd grade. I enjoyed them as well. (in response to the earlier poster...some of the books are plodding and too technical ("In Freedom's Cause" is one of them) but many of them tell great stories.) The Cat of Bubastes and The Young Carthaginian were a couple of our favorites.

When reading them aloud to him, if I hit a word that I thought would be way over his head, I would sometimes replace it with a synonym that he would be more familiar with. Or sometimes we'd stop and discuss what it meant.

That said, there's no way my 8 yo is ready for Henty...he's not in to history and is stronger in math than lang arts, so they'd be way to heavy and lengthy for him. Depends on the child.

Also add, we are planning on diving into "The Roman Mysteries" series when we get to Rome. The series comes recommended and seems like a fun way to do some read-alouds during Rome after teaching my kids all those crazy archaic myths from Greece.

Ohhhh, those look fun!!! I've already read Detectives in Togas to a couple of different kids so this would be refreshing for mom!

Adam and His Kin is very YE, and I disagreed with the way it presents Genesis, but YMMV.

We loved the Mary Pope Osborne version of The Odyssey. It comes in one book now, but it used to come in a 6-book set--really nice little hardbacks that were fun to read (just enough gore! lol). I'd save Sutcliff's version for logic stage.

Not fans of Henty here. I made ds read Cat of Bubastes in 9th grade because Omnibus assumes familiarity with Egypt, so we needed a supplement. He didn't like it then, and wouldn't have liked it as a 9yo, either! lol Again, ymmv.

Definitely liked D'Aulaire's Greek Myths, and Aliki's version, too. There are lots of picture books that are appropriate, too--but since you are overseas, you may not want to spend on a "single story" book for mythology.

You could get a more complicated myth book, and just retell. Edith Hamilton's is nice for that.

Don't forget Horrible Histories! They are full of fun details and quite interesting. The BBC website has some games that are neat, too--the Roman one is a particular favorite (we like the Tudor one, too, but that is the next year for you!).

I was able to get The Bronze Bow at a local Goodwill for 49 cents this week. Since I hope to do ancients with my daughter next year, I'm pre-reading it. She will be 10, and I was concerned it might be too advanced. It is a great book! I can hardly put it down. At this point, I don't think it will be to advanced either. I highly recommend this book.

Here is what I have come up with so far as I am perusing my copy of "All Through the Ages."

Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Lancelyn Green

The Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis

Tales of the Greek Heroes by Roger Lancelyn Green

The Children's Homer by Padraic Colum (reader)

The Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer (read aloud)

You Wouldn't Want To Be A...(book series)

:)

I got my library to order these, but as soon as they came in, lots of holds came up, but seeing them assured me I wanted them myself. I was able to get the first one easily from Amazon, but the second still wasn't shipping after nearly a month, and the third wasn't available except for some crazy price. But, so happens we were at the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute (great for Ancient studies!), and in the gift shop they had the first two. We picked up our copy of the second, and my husband dug through the shelves to see if there were any of the third ones hiding. Indeed, there was one The Last Quest of Gilgamesh, and we snapped it up. Same price as Amazon, except even on sale. But the weird thing was, when we got home and opened it, it turns out the cover was put on wrong- it had been flipped upside down and backwards. Otherwise, it's in perfect condition. So perhaps there was some sort of production problem?

I got my library to order these, but as soon as they came in, lots of holds came up, but seeing them assured me I wanted them myself. I was able to get the first one easily from Amazon, but the second still wasn't shipping after nearly a month, and the third wasn't available except for some crazy price. But, so happens we were at the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute (great for Ancient studies!), and in the gift shop they had the first two. We picked up our copy of the second, and my husband dug through the shelves to see if there were any of the third ones hiding. Indeed, there was one The Last Quest of Gilgamesh, and we snapped it up. Same price as Amazon, except even on sale. But the weird thing was, when we got home and opened it, it turns out the cover was put on wrong- it had been flipped upside down and backwards. Otherwise, it's in perfect condition. So perhaps there was some sort of production problem?

That would make sense! That's a pretty big price jump for the same series!!!!

-Boy of the Pyramids

-Golden Goblet

-Hittite Warrior

-God King

-Archimedes

-D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

-Black Ships Before Troy

-Augustus Caesar’s World (not sure if I'll treat this as a read-aloud or just history reading. I also have Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt)

-The Thieves of Ostia (The Roman Mysteries) and maybe another if time!

-The Bronze Bow

This is my revised list so far! I'll try to get a hold of the Zeman books, too, but will probably let him read those himself.

Thank you!!!! Still open to more input, though!

I've got a list somewhere...but I can't seem to find it at the moment....lol

Off the top of my head, so far we have read:

Boy of the Painted Caves (The kids really liked this one)

Mara Daughter of the Nile (My 12 yo actually reread this on his own time)

Golden Goblet

Tales of Ancient Egypt

(Theodosia and the Serpent of Chaos was a total bomb. I tried reading it, we couldn't get into it. Then we tried listening to the audiobook, and still the kids didn't seem to be enjoying it..so we dropped it)

** 3 Part Gilgamesh series by Ludmila Zeman was a huge hit here.

**Also a big hit were picture books, like Egyptian Cinderella, Temple Cat

The Rick Riordan Novels...all 5 Percy Jackson (Greek), the 2 in the Kane Chronicles (Egyptian) and The Lost Hero/Son of Nepture (Extended Greek Series) 12yo inhaled these...he read all 9 in less than a month.

Horrible Histories (and Horrible Science for that matter) are very popular with my 12 yo...

The following are all sitting on the Bookshelf next to me waiting to be started.....

Rosemary Sutcliff 's Wanderings of Odysseus & Black Ships Before Troy (Get the illustrated editions with art by Alan Lee....they are worth the extra money)

Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence (We've already started these for pleasure reading)

(BBC turned this into a 2 season TV series, you can buy the dvd for each season for around $10 each and though they are PAL 2 they play on MAC w/out conversion)

Eagle of the Ninth/The Silver Branch/The Lantern Bearers

Detectives in Togas

Mystery of the Roman Ransome

Tales of the Greek Heroes

The Aeneid for Boys and Girls

Augustus Caesar's World

Mary Pope's Tales from the Odyssey volume 1 & 2

You wouldn't want to be a ...... (This series is great but pricey for 32 pages, I bought 2, but now I usually just get them from the library or ILL request)

The Roman News, The Greek News, The Egyptian News

Learning Through History Magazine

Bronze Bow

The Ch'ilin Purse

Wild Orchid (Retelling of Mulan)

A Single Shard

D'aulaires Book of Greek Myth

Geraldine McCaughrean's Greek Myth and Roman Myth Books (Great short stories perfect for my 6yo, but the 12yo enjoys listening in)

Ology Series : Mythology and Egyptology

and Finally:

National Geographic's Treasure of Greek Mythology...This was purchased because I love the illustrator Christina Balit, but I constantly find this book in my son's hand as he pours over the art & myth....

http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Greek-Mythology-Goddesses-Monsters/dp/1426308442/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323594516&sr=1-1

After several months of struggling with the hold/ILL system at my local library I bit the bullet and bought most of the books on my list for this year. There are still a few I can't remember off the top of my head because they are in open circulation at my local branch...now just to find that list..lol.

We also use SOTW 1 & lots of picture books (combined History for 6th Grader and 1st Grader)

This may seem like alot of books but much of the novel reading is done aloud. (usually audiobooks while following along with text for the 12 yo while the 6yo colors pictures/does worksheet or plays quietly)

We read picture books and SOTW over breakfast or during nightly family reading...and we don't do TV in our house from M-F, so kids have no choice but to pick up a book.

D'aulaires Book of Greek Myths

National Geographic's Treasure of Greek Mythology...This was purchased because I love the illustrator Christina Balit, but I constantly find this book in my son's hand as he pours over the art & myth....

http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Greek-Mythology-Goddesses-Monsters/dp/1426308442/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323594516&sr=1-1

Wow, lots of info., thanks! I want to spend some time on Greek Myths but not linger there forever. The National Geographic look good on Amazon, too. Do you like it or the D'aularies the most?????

If you have an animal-lover, Miranda the Great is one of my 5yo's favorites. It would be either a quick (a few hours) read-aloud or a fun independent reading book for a 9yo.

:iagree:We stumbled upon this book at the library, and it was pure fun for my younger kids.

We're doing Ancients this year. So far the biggest read aloud hits for my 6,8, and 11yo dc have been Black Ships Before Troy and Geraline McCaughrean's The Odyssey.

Wow, lots of info., thanks! I want to spend some time on Greek Myths but not linger there forever. The National Geographic look good on Amazon, too. Do you like it or the D'aularies the most?????

They both have almost the same number of pages (180-190), but the Nat Geo book has a much bigger font and many more illustrations. (every page is illustrated/bordered)

D'aulaires is by far more encompassing and has more stories, (much smaller font & fewer/smaller illustrations) while the Nat Geo book is more a list of the gods with stories for each/about each. (and I would agree with the reviewer on amazon that puts the book in the 4th-6th Grade range give or take a year or two)

If I could only pick one, D'aulaires would probably be it for content...there is alot of information in that book.

However if I chose according to which my child would actually love to read both aloud and independently it would be the Nat Geo. Treasury. Even my 6 year old sits enthralled when we read, and I've found her listening and looking at the pages while her brother was reading it....(amazing if you consider how often they don't get along) The key I think is the artwork. We also have several other books by the illustrator and they are favorites with my kids. (We use her illustrated Family Bible Treasury for World Religions study...and my kids love reading from it as well.)

To put it in perspective we haven't hit the Greeks yet in study....But I think my son has pulled out the Nat Geo Book 5 times or more for independent/fun reading. My daughter has picked it for nightly family reading at least 3 or 4 times. D'aulaires is still sitting on the shelf.....

Having both, I would pick the Nat Geo becuase I know my kids would read it and enjoy it with or without being told to..KWIM? YMMV.

Having both, I would pick the Nat Geo becuase I know my kids would read it and enjoy it with or without being told to..KWIM? YMMV.

Awesome, thanks! My goal for now is his getting some enjoyable basic literacy in the myths, not mastery, so this could fit the bill perfectly!!!!!

I'm so glad you posted this, what gorgeous illustrations. I have the D'Aulaires, but the illustrations in the Nat. Geo. book are making me want to add it to my list!!

I'd be curious to hear your favourite picture books that you've used for your 6yo. (Sorry to hijack the thread!) I am going to start ancients with my 7yo soon.

I'm so glad you posted this, what gorgeous illustrations. I have the D'Aulaires, but the illustrations in the Nat. Geo. book are making me want to add it to my list!!

I'd be curious to hear your favourite picture books that you've used for your 6yo. (Sorry to hijack the thread!) I am going to start ancients with my 7yo soon.

I started to try and type them all out and realized making a listmania list would be easier....

So here it is...My top 40 picture type books (that I actually own) for lower elementary ancient history. Some of these are larger compilations, but all are illustrated. (I typed them in as I pulled the books off the shelf next to me so they are in no particular order, sorry bout that.)

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R3VHQ41AEA0KE9/ref=cm_pdp_lm_title_1

**Forgot to add Temple Cat to the list....

Edited by Xanadu

I started to try and type them all out and realized making a listmania list would be easier....

So here it is...My top 40 picture type books (that I actually own) for lower elementary ancient history. Some of these are larger compilations, but all are illustrated. (I typed them in as I pulled the books off the shelf next to me so they are in no particular order, sorry bout that.)

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R3VHQ41AEA0KE9/ref=cm_pdp_lm_title_1

**Forgot to add Temple Cat to the list....

Great list! I've saved all of them to my wishlist.

Be aware that Black Ships Before Troy has different versions. The gorgeously illustrated hardcover is here. I accidentally purchased the library binding version and it was tiny (4x6 maybe) and unillustrated. The Wanderings of Odysseus and In Search of a Homeland are also large, lavishly illustrated books. They are wonderful.

Adam and His Kin

Boy of the Pyramids

Golden Goblet

Hittite Warrior

God King

Cat of Bubastis

Young Carthaginian

Augustus Caesar’s World

Bronze Bow

I would also second Black Ships before Troy. It doesn't seem like you have much Greek related reading at all. Another option is Theras and His Town. Odds Bodkin has some really good retellings of Greek stories. The Odyssey was a big hit with us.

I wouldn't do Adam and His Kin unless you've preread it and are sure that it matches with your theology.

I thought Hittite Warrior was hard on me as the read aloud reader.

I like the Winterthur Detectives in Togas series, but some people have a hard time with it as a read aloud.

You might also want to look at Padric Collum's retellings of classical Greek stories. He has a Trojan War, Golden Fleece and others.

Since you're overseas, you might want to look at The Baldwin Project, which has free online editions of lots of out of print stories and books. There are some real gems here and others that may be just the thing when you're away from a library and just need some readings for a week. (For example, we used it for Jataka Tales when we did ancient India, which just wasn't available in the library we had in Japan.) The Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome books are here. What you can do is use CTRL-F to search for key words like Greece, Rome, etc and then browse from there. The Gutenburg Project site is similar, but with more adult books. This is some of their children's books.

How are you planning to distribute ancients through the year? It seems like maybe you have more Egypt than Rome and very little Greece. Part of that is because there are fewer good read alouds for Greece, but don't miss what there is.

You might also want to add in something like The Eagle of the Ninth or The Lantern Bearers. I love Sutcliff, though I know that others find her dry.

We also really liked the Good Times Travel Agency books by Linda Bailey. These have cartoon style illustrations with speech bubbles as well as lots of text at the bottom of the page. I would have my sons read the words with the illustrations. Then I would read aloud the background text at the bottom.

I'll second these too. The first couple were a big hit for both my older kids. DS #2 inhaled all of them (multiple times). They are very well done and cover big events like Pompeii, the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem, as well as topics like slavery, class differences, arranged marriages, gladiators, etc.